Football vs. Hunting

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
wisbooner3932

RE: Football vs. Hunting

Postby wisbooner3932 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:43 am

Being that I'm still a college student, I have plenty of time to hunt so it wouldn't anything to me to miss a Saturday to watch my Badgers.  Heck, I even go to half the games so I'd say thats worth missing hunting time.[:D]
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:05 pm

Sooooooo , do the Sunday hunters tape the Sunday church service ? [8|]
Semper Fi !

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:49 am

Freddie if your Cathlic you can go on Saturday afternoon......Many churches have several services on Sunday...my in-laws church has 7 am and 10 am service....Me ...I pray every day...so I don't really need a building to go to......[;)]

crittergitter

Postby crittergitter » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:57 am

i would not give up a hunt to watch football , i take my son to a state park every year to participate in a youth gun hunt , this park has an unbelievable amout of deer , well this hunt always seems to fall on the weekend that Ohio State plays Michigan , they have a drawing and only take about 30 kids per year , so some years kids go home from the drawing dissapointed that there name didnt get drawn !and then on sat when its time for the ball game to start , the ones that do get to hunt , are made to leave so there dads can go watch the ball game ![:@] i have personally heard kids ask their dads if they can stay and hunt , and the dad says no he wants to watch the game! usually by noon sat. there aint but 3 or 4 kids hunting ! its a shame ! we have never left early and 3 yrs ago my son killed an 8 pointer that was a little over 120 inches at 3:00 on sat. and believe me there will never be a football game worth missing that !

Bluegrass Archer

Postby Bluegrass Archer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:38 am

Huntings more important to me than football and id never give up a day during the rut. Buuuut maybe if notre dame had a big game during the evening id skip an early season hunt if the weather was hot.  Usually on Sunday the colts play at noon and i go huntin when the games over. Luckily i live close to where i hunt, if i had to drive a ways the game wouldnt seem very important at all.

ZEEK

Postby ZEEK » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:04 pm

Football is the main reason when I go out in the AM. I stay out. If I go home, it's over.
College or pro it doesn't matter I'm hooked. I feel guilty later, but I can't help it.
Years of experiance have taught me I'm probably not getting anything anyway so enjoy the game.
Not knowing where you are going is the best way to get
somewhere you've never been.

J. Peterman.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:29 pm

ORIGINAL: msbadger
Freddie if your Cathlic you can go on Saturday afternoon......Many churches have several services on Sunday...my in-laws church has 7 am and 10 am service....Me ...I pray every day...so I don't really need a building to go to......[;)]

I go to 8:30 Mass on Sunday and then to breakfast with friends . I am retired so I have Monday - Saturday to hunt . Sundays , I chill out ! [;)]..[;)]
Semper Fi !

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:36 am

ORIGINAL: ZEEK

Football is the main reason when I go out in the AM. I stay out. If I go home, it's over.
College or pro it doesn't matter I'm hooked. I feel guilty later, but I can't help it.
Years of experiance have taught me I'm probably not getting anything anyway so enjoy the game.

Funny observation ZEEK. I too have had feelings of guilt when I miss out on hunting to do some other leisure activity. Then I have to remind myself that I do this for enjoyment, not work.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:43 am

ORIGINAL: fasteddie

ORIGINAL: msbadger

I go to 8:30 Mass on Sunday and then to breakfast with friends . I am retired so I have Monday - Saturday to hunt . Sundays , I chill out ! [;)]..[;)]

You'll like this one fasteddie. In 2006, I was able to hunt a Sunday morning, shoot a 135" 10 pt. at sunrise, miss a doe, recover my buck and make it back home for the 10:30 Mass with clean hands. No football that afternoon though. My wife was not thrilled about getting the kids ready for church while I was hunting, so I was very attentive to her.

ZEEK

Postby ZEEK » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:41 am

Then I have to remind myself that I do this for enjoyment

For me hunting and enjoyment don't seem to go together. I know they should.
But then again I did not enjoy the Cowboys game last night either.
It's only fun when you win.
Not knowing where you are going is the best way to get
somewhere you've never been.

J. Peterman.

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features