Football vs. Hunting

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
vt_archer

RE: Football vs. Hunting

Postby vt_archer » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:39 am

I live up in Vermont; what is this thing called "Football"? Is it anything like hockey? :)

wware2009

Postby wware2009 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:32 am

i grew up in northern minnesota. i spent all the time i could in the woods now i live in the city and cant antymore so hunt or game have to choose hunting. i can watch football in the off season.

Vikinghater

Postby Vikinghater » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 am

I live 30 miles south of the greatest sports venue in the US (Lambeau Field) and give up tickets to hunt deer every year.

Robbiecd

Postby Robbiecd » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:52 am

When bowhunting on Sundays is legal in NC next season, I might have to sit out a few more games than usual, but when you have Sunday night, Monday night, and the occasional Thursday night games, not to mention the revolutionary DVR, who needs to worry about missing out?  Football vs Hunting?  Why choose?  Life is too short to limit yourself.
Hunt Early, Fish Often

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:40 pm

Hunting wins hands down on this one. I am getting to the point where I care less about pro football all the time. There is too much bad sportsmanship, taunting, and silly celebrations happening there every year. We can't hunt on Sundays here in N.C., but I still don't watch much NFL.

I am a die-hard hockey fan though. That being said, there are 82 regular season games plus playoffs.  I've been a season ticket holder for the Carolina Hurricanes since they moved here in '97. I even got to hold the Stanley Cup in '06 when they won. However, I give up my tickets ( I sit in the 5th row off the ice) to friends and business associates if it will interfere with a hunting trip...either deer or turkey.  I often feed my tailgate gang bambi burgers when it is my turn to host. A couple well placed bullets will feed me, while football & hockey are entertainment and I could survive without either one. I played both sports and they helped keep me in good shape most of my life.  Hunting feeds my belly and my spirit.  The others are just games. Hunting is real & it matters.

The people who professional sports should matter the most to are the ones drawing a paycheck from it, be it parking lot attendants, food & T-shirt vendors, broadcasters, reporters, the team staff & to the athletes themselves.

Just how I see it.

Jim

Luck Counts, good or bad

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:49 am

Hunting wins hands down

We can't hunt on Sundays here in N.C.

What's up North Carolina? I thought it was bad enough that the N.C. highway patrol uses Vascar Radar ... those sneaky S.O.B.'s ... on the other hand, those troopers do have really sharp uniforms.

Now I hear N.C. doesn't allow Sunday hunting. That seems rather provincial & unfair ... a lot of hunters can only hunt on the weekend. At any rate, aside from the playoffs, I'd rather hunt. Besides, it's healthier to sit on your butt in the woods than in front of a TV.[:D]

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:41 pm

N.C. is part of the bible belt. No Sunday hunting is the first law in the regulations digest. I guess they're afraid that church attendance would slip and the collection plates would get lighter if folks were out hunting & spending money on hunting-related gear.

The N.C.Wildlife Resources Commission has been kicking around the possibility of allowing archery hunting for deer on private land on Sundays (& use of a crossbow by non-disabled hunters), but a vocal minority got it changed back to the way it was.  No Sunday hunting really isn't so bad, as we're used to it being this way and people don't tend to get too upset if you take some time off work during the week to get in some hunting.

Our season runs from September 12th (archery) all the way through January 1st (in central N.C). So there are 8 to 12 weeks of rifle season depending where you are in the state. There is plenty of opportunity to take deer. We also get 6 tags, plus bonus antlerless tags (when you fill your first ones up). Some folks take a half-day off on Wednesdays so they can get outside.  It is also nice to give the animals a day of rest and let others who also enjoy being out in the Fall woods a day to roam without fear of being mistaken for game. Sundays are a good day to relocate stands too. There are lots of horse enthusiasts around here who would put up a bitter fight if their one day of riding freedom in Fall were taken away.

North Carolina is different from other places, but if you can't get deer here with the length of the deer season, the land we have to hunt, and the deer population density, either you haven't done your homework, you aren't trying very hard, or maybe you don't need to be in the woods with a firearm in the first place.  If we ever had Sunday hunting in the first place, it wouldn't be fair, but we're not giving anything up as it is, so we live with it.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:16 am

I guess it's about time I admit my ignorance. I haven't been able to understand this thread. What is this thing called "football"?

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:14 am

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

I guess it's about time I admit my ignorance. I haven't been able to understand this thread. What is this thing called "football"?

Steve

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:23 am

Our season runs from September 12th (archery) all the way through January 1st (in central N.C). So there are 8 to 12 weeks of rifle season depending where you are in the state. There is plenty of opportunity to take deer. We also get 6 tags, plus bonus antlerless tags

SIX PLUS TAGS!!! plus you allow smoking in restaurants ... I think I'm moving!

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features