Bare Bones Pt 2 - The Spine

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
ranwin33

Bare Bones Pt 2 - The Spine

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:20 am

Does anyone here also prefer Dr. Bishop's shot to the spine when hunting deer?  To me, the odds of shooting high and missing or merely wounding far outweigh the benefit of dropping a deer on the spot. 

I would never take a spine shot with a bow, but I was surprised to read it might be acceptable with a gun.  Don't you accomplish the same thing with a shoulder shot and isn't the margin for error greater with the shoulder shot? 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Goose

RE: Bare Bones Pt 2 - The Spine

Postby Goose » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:29 am

I agree with you. I was actually a little surprised and bothered by that article.
I personally feel that you are much better and even more ethical by aiming for the front shoulder.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:48 am

X2 ^^

Getting the opportunity to take a shot at a deer is hard enough, why compound the level of difficulty by limiting the target area to the spine only, versus aiming for the vitals?

arkansas bob

Postby arkansas bob » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:13 am

I killed my first deer in 1981, an 8 point, he was 30 feet away, walking behind brush when I first saw him, his head was down, nose to the ground when he stepped out of the brush and turned toward me. I shot him at 20 feet with a 30.30, hit him just to left of his spine, it came out my left side of his neck, made a slit 8" long he hit the ground and went nowhere, could move his neck and 1 front leg, but had to put another round in him to finish him off. My grand mother cooked the neck and said that I never hit a bone but it was close enuff to to do major damage to the spine. So yes sometimes a neck shot is a good shot, it all depends on the shot and your ability and weapon. A lot of people I know will take a shot at a running deer and will hit the deer where they are aiming at but I don't because I don't feel like I can make a good shot, but at 50 yards and less a walking deer will get shot (with a rifle and 4X scope, not a bow) in the neck.
"Freedom of speech is ultra important so stupid people will make their stupid statements so we know how stupid they are." -Ted Nugent

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:35 am

It's not the problem of hitting the deer in the neck that concerns me, it's the problem of hitting the deer in the neck in a place it will kill it.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:06 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

It's not the problem of hitting the deer in the neck that concerns me, it's the problem of hitting the deer in the neck in a place it will kill it.

That's a good point. I've shot a couple of deer in the neck. The first one was with a .222 (my first buck) and it dropped in its tracks. The other one was a wide 6-point. It was a close running shot and it kept running, but there was a fair amount of blood. It went about 100 yards and I saw it coughing up blood. Then it ran another 50 yards and laid down where it died.

I think it's possible to take out the wind pipe and not do enough immediate damage to keep the deer from running off -- maybe a pretty good distance. It's also a possibility to inflict a pretty nasty flesh wound and not get the deer. No more neck shots for me. 

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:06 pm

X3 on the spine shots.

In the 25+ years that I've been a subscriber to D&DH, this article struck me as the second most unethical thing I've seen in there.

Yes, a GUNSHOT in the spine will drop a deer. I've done it (not on purpose) several times, and ALL of those times I had to cut throats.....while they look at you....not exactly my prefered way of dispatching an animal.

But in this article, he also talked about spine shots with a BOW....and A MECHANICAL HEAD TO BOOT!!!!!! Good Heavens, talk about asking for failure!!!!

Besides, a CENTER CHEST shot, if both lungs are pierced, will kill a deer outright in a minute or two at MOST. If you miss a lung, you still have a pretty good margin or error. Not so for the spine. It's like aiming for the femoral artery in the back leg. If you hit it, it's like opening the faucet, and the deer will drop momentarily. If you miss.....you have a wounded animal that you won't find, and may die of gangrene...nice.

The three deer I've spine shot, and the Russian boar were ALL very tough to eat, even with my hanging the deer as I normally do. I believe that it may have something to do with the adrenelin and stress the animal went through before death.

In case any of you were wondering what the #1 most unetical thing I ever saw in D&DH was, it was an ad for a bow rest that enabled you to shoot TWO arrows at one time,

"For twice the bloodtrail!"

And the most disturbing part was that they had a photo of, and an endorsement by, "ART LAHA, PIONEER WISCONSIN BOWHUNTER!"

I guess 'ol Art was down on his luck at that time and need the extra cash or something.

This also proves that this era doen't have a monoply on half-a***d gizmos and hucksterism. [8|]

Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:12 pm

And don't even get me started on neck shots. I've had the "privilege" several times over the years to have to finish the job of some A****** who though neck shots were a good idea.

Hanging jaws, eyeballs hanging out, half the face shot away, festering wounds...... I damn near cried a couple of times, but thankful that I could end the poor creature's misery, when I did. [&o]

If you like to take neck shots, please keep it to yourself, as I am not impressed.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

arkansas bob

Postby arkansas bob » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:56 pm

Everday hunter you said "The first one was with a .222", I am not familiar with that round but a buddy of mine years ago used a 223 ruger mini 14 hit the deer between the front legs below the neck, it should have when into the rib cage front to back but it went around the rib cage between the right front shoulder and rib cage and back out through the skin. Separated that shoulder, this was at 75 feet. The deer came by me using 3 legs, was walking head first to me, I shot from 20 feet, I hit 4 inches away from the first shot he went 50 feet down the hill and fell over dead. my 30.30 bullet went in the rib cage and back out through 2 ribs and was between the skin and rib cage. I learned that day that a .223 may be good for war but not deer hunting. I don't aways look for a neck shot, my last deer was taken with a 12 ga. slug, iron sites at 50 yds, broadside behind the front shoulder in the ribs, lung shot , he went 40 feet and fell over dead. All shots are different and need to be viewed that way, what worked last time may not ever work again.
"Freedom of speech is ultra important so stupid people will make their stupid statements so we know how stupid they are." -Ted Nugent

arkansas bob

Postby arkansas bob » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:01 pm

After rereading Bare Bones again I FAIL too see where Dr. Bishop advocates the use of bow for spine shots. As for the mechanical broad heads he is talking about a series of pictures on the internet, and goes on to say in the conclusion "A Spinal Paradox" "for achers, the deer spine is a formidable target that is occasionally effective, but at a high risk." I read this article as arrows? no! guns? Sometimes. His preference for shot placement is a spine shot. My shot placement will depend on a lot of factors. Anybody reading into this article that everbody should only make spine shots is not reading at all but demanding that everybody should only do as they do for they are the only ones who are right. This is much like the discussions about people who use crossbows and why the states must not allow people to use them (except for the disabled) Arkansas has allowed crossbows for over 25 years and still 80% to %90 of the hunters use compounds, recurves and longbows. The world did not end like some people in other states believe will happen. But this is what makes us a great nation we all can voice our opinion and we should respect others opinion instead of beating them down on forums. It is possible to stand tall without standing on someone. Or my lack of comprehension do to my 6th grade education has caused me to misread everything in the article and on this forum and I am as far out in left field as one can get. You know how us Arkie Hillbillies are! The only othe ting I can add is that I am glad that I did not make public is that I hunt with a crossbow, if this were a trout forum I would have to kept to my self that I use lures, jigs and nightcrawers for bait instead of FLIES!!! Time to end this and call it a night!     

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features