Should Woman Be Jailed for Killing Fawn?

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
dtrain56

RE: Should Woman Be Jailed for Killing Fawn?

Postby dtrain56 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:50 pm

No but they should take away her hunting license for life!!!!!!

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:15 pm

I don't know what I would do if I were ever outside and saw an old lady crack a fawn in the head with a shovel.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:51 pm

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker
... I work in the animal medicine/welfare field and there are bucket loads of data that indicate people who perpetrate acts of violence against animals usually have a history, or will have one.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, the data your citing in no way correlates to what this woman did.  A majority of those acts of violence tend to be animal torture or cruelty by teens, kids, and young adults that then manifests itself in later life in other ways.  Let's not throw her into that group, because what she did isn't the same - your attempt to link her to such is disingenuous at best.

And it is a stretch to say that because she can kill a deer, she then has enough anger issues to go after someone's child.  Or that she has a hidden history.  Nobody on this site has enough information about the lady to make those assumptions. 

Mmmm. I'm not sure I agree here. Would you let her baby-sit or dog- sit for you knowing she clubbed a fawn to death? I hark back to my earlier statement in that this was not swatting a fly or killing a snake or other historically maligned creature. Stop for a second and get the visual. She discovered a fawn in her flower bed. Curled up, spots, big brown eyes, the works. She gets a shovel, and then clubs it to death. In over a decade of wildlife consulting and education I have never, ever talked to, met someone, or heard about anyone who no matter how big a deer problem they were having expressed a desire to, or threatened to, club a fawn to death. Now there sure is first time for everything, but at the very least that's one hard-core granny. You don't want to throw her in to that group? Okay, but I'm sorry IMO we can't leave her in the "normal" group either. It just isn't a normal response. Make no mistake I'm not hand wringing for the fawn, I am looking at the act.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:39 am

She discovered a fawn in her flower bed. Curled up, spots, big brown eyes, the works.

Good grief [sm=rolleyes.gif]

Still a none issue, no matter how some try to gin it up.

Would you let her baby-sit or dog- sit for you knowing she clubbed a fawn to death?

Another good grief. [:(]

Give her a fine for killing a deer out of season and move on already.

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:42 am

I find it humorous (tongue in cheek) how when something like this happens it gets blown out of proportion. What she did was wrong, give her what ever the punishment is and move on.
Same thing with the snowmobiles and deer, it was wrong, punish them and go on, if they seem to have other issues deal with them as the judge sees fit.
Some of the letters I saw and articles that were written because of these things were unbelievable! I wish people would feel the same way and react in the same manner when a child gets abused in a different county or state!
They are animals, there are laws that protect them at different times of the year, WE kill them, if the law is broken deal with it accordingly.
How many of us have trapped or killed rabbits (out of season or in town)that are in our gardens causing trouble?

Don't get me wrong, when I find a dead deer or other animal it does bother me, and I bust my butt to try to improve their habitat, but we have bigger back strips to grill.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:46 am

ORIGINAL: retch sweeny
P.S. When you see animals talking in the movies, that's not real.

Not even Mr. Ed??
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:53 am

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker
...I have never, ever talked to, met someone, or heard about anyone who no matter how big a deer problem they were having expressed a desire to, or threatened to, club a fawn to death. Now there sure is first time for everything, but at the very least that's one hard-core granny. You don't want to throw her in to that group? Okay, but I'm sorry IMO we can't leave her in the "normal" group either. It just isn't a normal response. Make no mistake I'm not hand wringing for the fawn, I am looking at the act.

I understand what you are saying, but as far as people willing to club a fawn to death, I could introduce you to several people who reside next door to Shawnee Mission park here in my neck of the woods where they claim a deer density of 200 per square mile or something like that.

My take on it is that sometimes people let their tempers get the better of them and that is probably the case here - the lady just became fed up with the situation and made a bad decision. Did she break the law, sure, but is she a danger to society, most likely not - fine here, counsel her, and she probably learns her lesson. It would be kind of like people willing to shoot dogs for trespassing - they become exasperated because they can't find a better fix to the situation and so tehy shoot the dog and break the law. Sure, what they did will break a law, but they most likely aren't a danger to society and shouldn't end up in jail.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:02 pm

WOW...this is getting way more attentions than it deserves....

I would venture to say that most people have killed a nuisense animal at one time or another....heck i bet every one has so what is the problem...

i don't even think she deserves a fine...Heck we kill, mice, ground hogs, racoons, rabbits, squirles....etc..etc..all out of season or when they become a problem...like when they make a home in your home....so don't play all high and mighty...it was a nuisense and the women killed it with a shovel...a little over board and there was a better way to handle it..like build a fence but heck..move on no big deal???

spottedskunk

Postby spottedskunk » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:32 pm

ORIGINAL: 69Viking

ORIGINAL: retch sweeny

She killed a deer. We all kill deer. Dead is dead. It was most likely a swift kill. Does the device of death cause the drama??? I though we were all past worrying about the device used to kill deer so long as it killed them?

The story said "But some neighbors said that the outrage is overblown and that details of the incident have been exaggerated."

I tend to agree. Give here a fine for killing a deer out of season and be done with it.

Then make the fine a good one, at least as severe as they would charge someone for poaching. Deer are protected animals and killing out of season in addition to it being a harmless fawn is something that shouldn't be taken lightly. As hunters if we screw up and do something illegal even if it's not intentional the game warden comes down on us hard so why let her get away with something that was obviously intentional.

Make the fine like it would one of us screwing up in deer season. Don't punish her more cause she's not a hunter. Give her a fine for killing a deer out of season. Be done with it.

drvsarchry123

Postby drvsarchry123 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:03 am

The fact that he have broke the law and pass the limitation, it would be his responsibility to take the charges and consequence of what he have done.

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features