Bleet calls

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Robert Rowland

RE: Bleet calls

Postby Robert Rowland » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:24 pm

I have used the bleat can and it works well. Maybe not as well when in a ground blind though, too easy to get picked-off.

FlDeerman

Postby FlDeerman » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:10 pm

Robert glad to see another ground hunter.It is easy to get busted while calling.I like to grunt then bleet call and throw in a doe grunt.All deer have a Mom,I like to make them think all is safe.Then shut up and let them "find"me.

nmichwilson

Postby nmichwilson » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:22 pm

i have used all sorts of calls and rattle bags in n.mich were our buck to doe retio is about 10 does to one buck with no luck at all but had great luck eith both in missouri were the ratio is 2 to 1 or better great place to hunt with michigan dnr would take some notes from other states.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:16 am

I have the primos can family pack and have found that the "lil can" has worked best for me so far, i have only been using them for a little bit though, i havent called anything in "blind" but i called a doe into about 40 yards from me, when it was out about 140 yards to begin with (it was pre season, i was scouting) I also have the buck growl from MAD and cant wait to use it as the rut approaches. I use it for basica grunts right now, i heard a buck one evening and called back, i couldnt see him, but i def. heard him, i heard him walk around some, then lost track, he circled downwind and busted me :/ but i have had decent luck with both calls, not as much as i would like but its still early...

ReflexHunter

Postby ReflexHunter » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:04 am

If I could only use one call here in central Wis. it would be without a doubt the primos can or some type of doe in heat bleat.  I called in the biggest buck of my life with it (138 P&Y) and never go into the woods during the rut without it.  I have called in numerous other bucks as well.  It may not work 100% of the time, but a majority of the time it works like a charm.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:54 am

I like to use the can in combination with a grunt tube.  Figure if I can make it sound like more than one deer is in the area, the better I may be able to fool a real one.  The 11 pointer I took from the ground last year came rushing in as I worked the can in combination with a grunt tube as I was hiding behind a large multi-trunked tree.

I also will try different calls on a deer I can see, until I find one that works.  If they don't respond to the doe bleat, they may respond to a grunt, or rattling, or a fawn bleat.  Something will get them moving toward you, it's just a matter of finding the right something.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:00 am

I used a Quaker Boy bleat can this past weekend on two small bucks walking together.  The trailing buck stopped dead in his tracks when I hit the call.  He then turned and walked right at me.  The leading buck saw his buddy turn and change direction and he followed.  Both bucks walked right past my stand.  One in front and the other in back.  Both presented me perfect broadside shots.  I let them walk though. 

MD Lease

Postby MD Lease » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:03 pm

I use bleat calls every year and I have yet to have a doe or a buck come to the call, nor have I actually ever heard a doe bleat in the wild.

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:13 pm

ORIGINAL: JOEL

i used the cans and found out i was using it wrong .I was holding it and flipping it in a way that made the bleet come out slow and long.I was at a seminar by Peter Fidducia"the deer doctor" and he said you have to flip it qick so its a short fast call.the other way is a warning call and scares em.he also sells a mouth bleet call havent tried it yet.I have a true talker and made the same mistake with that too long of a call.So i suggest trying the faster call and see what happens i know i am this year

I have seen some people use the "long" can call or whatever its name is. A few seasons ago I wounded a doe with a muzzle loader, I saw it take in a huge breath, and knew what was coming. It let out a long bleat call that sounded exactly like the long can bleat so I tell people who are buying those to stay away from the long can.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Previous

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features