What about small property''s? (QDM)

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Goose

RE: What about small property''s? (QDM)

Postby Goose » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:43 am

You must have a high deer density if they wiped out 5 acres that fast!
Sounds like you need worry more about killing deer than growing food for a while!
If you need help, let me know!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

archryhnt

Postby archryhnt » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:42 pm

It is not a big deal whether you have a small piece of land or a huge one. What is more important on this, is the habitat of the deers and other animals that you would like to live in your piece of land. Your neighbors are also the other thing to consider, if they have ruin your strategy in letting your animals to live their peacefully(for which later on have a hunting activity). What is important to this is that, if deers would really have the reason to stay in your land,food will also be consider.

bowhuntingbiker

Postby bowhuntingbiker » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:35 pm

All you can do is all you can do. Provide food when other food is hard to get, or provide better food, and you will see more deer. This may be all you can do, but you will see more deer. Good luck with it. BHB

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:14 am

I don't bother with food plots.  I hunt family farms where most of the land is planted with either corn or soybeans.  This year, the one farm is all soybeans and the other is all corn.  So basically, almost 90% of my hunting land is a giant food plot!

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:41 pm

ORIGINAL: loneranger

Speaking of small properties,,I have found no matter what you do,,,if your neighbors are idiots,,so much for your hunting land. I bought 40 acres in southern IA. A hunter's dream,,right? I planted food plots, apple, pear,persimmon, trees. Cut trails, enhanced bedding,,chinquapin oaks, the whole bit. Then my next door neighbor's place went up for sale. Purchased by a guy that is into racing. This year his kid gets a quad and friends. They rip their land up with loud engines. Some say the deer will get used to it, some say no. At least they are not riding every day. Once a week anyway. This kid is 16 or 17 so hopefully, girls and college, will take him to other interests, but I have learned my lesson. Unless you can buy a large piece of acreage, it all comes down to who your neighbors turn out to be. Next move for me will be a camper and nice truck to haul it. If I don't like the neighbors,,,I move.

Funny you say that... I have a whole forum about how 3 kids built a BMX track on my 15 acre area.. Damn kids... lol.

tbone

Postby tbone » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:19 am

It can be done, I own 95 acres, and the only reason I purchased the property is for My two sons and I to have a place to hunt. I have owned the land for 4 years now, I have one food plot. The layout of the land is almost impossible for anything else.

The plot is half white clover which I maintain year round and the other half gets planted in September with winter wheat and turnips.

I maintain, what I call the no-fly zone, its about 40 acres that we do not hunt, the CORE area if you will. I usually patrol the perimeter of this area before season kicks off and then stay out.

We hunt the woods between the plot and the no-fly zone.

It has taken 4 years of very hard work, but it is paying off, every year more and more deer are coming to the plot, and this year so far, I have seen more bucks on my property than all other years combined.

Are they all staying there, I doubt it, but more than before and a lot more are coming over to my side of the fence for a meal.

I have also started an apple orchard, I have 3 trees that are 3 years old and 2 that were planted this spring, my goal is to clear enough area each spring to plant at least 2 or 3 more. It will be a long time before that venture pays off, but I'm not going anywhere.

You have to put in some hard work, but it will pay off.

Equipment is a big issue, I started with just an old tractor and a brush hog, over the years picked up a plow and a disc, a sead spreader and a soil compactor for my 4 wheeler.

The first year I borrowed a friends tractor and tiller, thats how I got started, and its just grown from there.

Good luck.
Hunting safe, all the time.

gaylord

Postby gaylord » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:45 am

I am from the other school. Give me 5 acres and I will get bucks coming into your property. I am doing it . First of all no corn feeding. Make sure the mineral you are feeding has no commodities in it. To start with you will only see does, doesn't matter the bucks will come. Focus on herd health. If you have terrible neighbors the more the deer should be coming to your property. I just had one of my friends tell me last night...that mineral must be working, when i came home from work at 5:00 there were 6 deer in my back yard, and he only owns 5 acres of land.

Bluegrass Archer

Postby Bluegrass Archer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:08 am

Its all about playing your cards right. My bestfriend has a very small piece of land in kentucky. The property is surrounded by great deer habitat. Theres corn and soybean fields east and north of it, and plenty of white oaks everywhere. So what can he offer that no one else can? He cut down all of the woods on that land and let the young plants make the best bedding area around. He stays off it as much as possible and just trusts that when he goes there, deer will be coming into bed. Another thing that you could offer that surrounding land might not, is a late season foodplot like wheat or turnips. When deer starting running out of available foodsources youll start seeing alot of deer. But it all just depends on what the surrounding areas have to offer. It would downright hard to keep deer on a small property all the time, so just give them something that the surrounding areas are not.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:05 am

ORIGINAL: relentless_hunter_12

What about small property's? Why doesn't somebody write an article on how manage a small property with a small herd? On how to make it better and what to grow? Why doesnt anybody study this? What I'm trying to say is most deer hunters dont have huge land with thousands of acres, so what can someone with smaller land do to sustain a quality deer herd?
You can make a hideout for deer, no matter how small the property. Deer will use the land if the conditions are in the deer's favor.  I've seen deer bedded down along the highway , just to get away from hunter pressure.  You can't go into backyard deer management thinking you're doing this for big bucks, it's not going to work that way, atleast here in my county anyway. You have to manage the land to be habitat for holding as many does as your parcel will allow.  Everyland is different, and you need to find the missing links in habitat that need fixing to hold those deer. Once you can hold doe's the bucks will come sniffing around when the rut heats up, whether the bucks are mature or not depends on how the otherside of the fence is hunted.   If your seroius about QDM on a small property, you need to make a QDM co-op with your niehbors,  just so everyone is on the same page.  No doubt your in for a battle, but I think you can make a difference.   
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:59 pm

ORIGINAL: tbone

It can be done, I own 95 acres, and the only reason I purchased the property is for My two sons and I to have a place to hunt. I have owned the land for 4 years now, I have one food plot. The layout of the land is almost impossible for anything else.

The plot is half white clover which I maintain year round and the other half gets planted in September with winter wheat and turnips.

I maintain, what I call the no-fly zone, its about 40 acres that we do not hunt, the CORE area if you will. I usually patrol the perimeter of this area before season kicks off and then stay out.

We hunt the woods between the plot and the no-fly zone.

It has taken 4 years of very hard work, but it is paying off, every year more and more deer are coming to the plot, and this year so far, I have seen more bucks on my property than all other years combined.

Are they all staying there, I doubt it, but more than before and a lot more are coming over to my side of the fence for a meal.

I have also started an apple orchard, I have 3 trees that are 3 years old and 2 that were planted this spring, my goal is to clear enough area each spring to plant at least 2 or 3 more. It will be a long time before that venture pays off, but I'm not going anywhere.

You have to put in some hard work, but it will pay off.

Equipment is a big issue, I started with just an old tractor and a brush hog, over the years picked up a plow and a disc, a sead spreader and a soil compactor for my 4 wheeler.

The first year I borrowed a friends tractor and tiller, thats how I got started, and its just grown from there.

Good luck.

Couldn't have said it better...I agree whole-heartedly, and we are doing the exact thing!
QDM!

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features