Show shows to 7th graders in science class

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
conibear1

Show shows to 7th graders in science class

Postby conibear1 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:58 pm

I show the deer and deer hunting shows to my students during our 2 week deer unit. I try to have it start just before deer season. Over the last 5 years, girls that deer hunt, at least in my classes, have increased in numbers! They equal the boys now!! I love it!!
"The harder I work, the luckier I seem to be."

Thomas Jefferson

AlleganBowhunter

RE: Show shows to 7th graders in science class

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:45 pm

Thats awesome.   Hope the numbers keep going up.

Thanks for what you do!
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:36 pm

That's fantastic conibear.....  Keep up the quest for more hunters.  
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

conibear1

Postby conibear1 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:30 pm

Less than 2 weeks now before rifle season!! The kids are talking deer all the time!! 3pts extra credit if they bring in a deer heart to open up!

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:54 pm

ORIGINAL: conibear1

Less than 2 weeks now before rifle season!! The kids are talking deer all the time!! 3pts extra credit if they bring in a deer heart to open up!

Welcome to the D&DH forums, Jeff.

So, you're a teacher and you're promoting hunting in your 7th grade science class? Way to go!

You've reminded me of a science project my son did in 10th grade. He opened a deer's heart, nailed it to a board that was cut to fit into a cake pan, and then he labeled all the parts of the heart. Then he covered the whole thing with cellophane. That teacher was impressed.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:36 am

That is soooooooo kewl

We need more teachers like you.

[:)]
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:04 am

I agree, we definitely need more teachers like you and schools that will support this. I can remember growing up I attended my gun safety class through the school. Why this isn't done in schools these days I don't understand. There would be a lot less gun accidents among children if they were taught about guns and gun safety at a young age. Again, great thing your doing!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:18 pm

conibear1, that's awesome, keep up the great work!  kids our the future of hunting, especially with the average age of a hunter getting older and older every year.  it's guys like you that will let generations to come be able to enjoy this beautiful past-time!
QDM!

kighty7

Postby kighty7 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:07 am

I teach in a rural school in Pennsylvania and I have a bulleting board in my classroom that is the Braggin Board. I have all kinds of pictures after deer season is over. The kids love it both boys and girls. I also have over 1,000 magazines from deer and deer hunter, buckmasters, Rack, North American Hunter and so on that they borrow and read everyday. Keep up the good work.
I teach geography and I always do some stuff on the Golden Triangle and states that have great deer numbers for hunting.
We used to have an activity period and during that time I would have the Hunting club. We would talk about PA regulations and show hunting DVD's. I am inthe process of trying to get Archery in the Schools for my middle school.
Mathews Drenalin
Trophy Ridge 5 pin site
Rage 2 Blade
Left Handed Freak

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features