What do you agree with in the "Question Of Science" Readers Recoil, Nov. '09 issue

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
nateberly

What do you agree with in the "Question Of Science" Readers Recoil, Nov. '09 issue

Postby nateberly » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:28 am

I was a little surprised at all the comments from the mulies article, and reading these comments that were printed piqued my curiosity. I want this to be as objective as possible, so keep comments to a minimum, and I think it would be best to remain anonymous if possible.
I am just curious as to the ratio of readers that believe in:

Science: Climate change/global warming are due to humans, Evolution is real, and Earth is over 4 billion years old. . .

Religion: The Earth is only several (3-10) thousand years old, there is no such thing as evolution, climate change/global warming are made up terms to scare us. . .

A Combination: Modern Science and religion- Climate change/global warming is real, evolution is real, the earth APPEARS to be 4 billion years old, but is still all a part of Gods plan.

I would like to keep this a civil and fact finding poll, not a place to argue about what you believe in personally.
(Mods, please let me know if this is not allowed or maybe it would be good if you could turn off comments if it gets too hairy.)

Woods Walker

RE: What do you agree with in the "Question Of Science" Readers Recoil, Nov. '09 issue

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:53 pm

1. I believe that God is the originator of EVERYTHING in the universe. The "bang" of the "Big Bang", if you will.

2. From there, nature, and all the dynamic energy that it's composed of, takes it course.

3. The climate has been in a constant state of flux..."change"....for the past 4,500,000,000 years in a series of ebbs and flows, and the whole idea that man (who has only been in existence for a infinitesimal .0002222 per cent of it, and only 1% of that .0002222 is with the combustion engine) is now responsible for it is ludicrous, preposterous, and insane.

The whole man-made global warming scam is merely a political ploy to strip us of even more money and freedom, while further increasing the size of wasteful, ineffective big government.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

nateberly

RE: What do you agree with in the "Question Of Science" Readers Recoil, Nov. '09 issue

Postby nateberly » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:13 am

Thanks everyone so far!

WW, I am not going to comment on the facts you posted, just make a point that your argument about point number three is "flawed." Don't take this personally, I just like critical thinking/reasoning. I am going to try to make an analogy, bear with me:

A man lives to be 70 years old. The day before he turns 71, he gains access to a municipal water tower. He spends an hour there ( .0000163% of his lifetime.) He pours a vial of poison in the water, which takes about a tenth of a second. (.00277% of his time there.) Using your argument, I could try and prove that he spent such an infinitesimal percent of his lifetime pouring the poison in (.0000000452%), that he could not have poisoned the water for the entire city.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:26 am

Nate: I don't take it personally. I just have reached a point in my life where I WILL NOT continue to sit by and let the biggest LIES that have ever foisted on us continue unchallenged.

We have just had the COLDEST summer on record, and the global temps haven't increased since 1998, but yet the man made global warming scam artists say that it's merely an abberation in a trend. Okay......so it's a trend when it  supports their agenda, but not the other way around. If you want to buy into that BS then go right ahead. I don't.

Like it or not, this is a POLITICAL issue, and because of this you are going to get some vehement opposition.

Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

nateberly

Postby nateberly » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:16 am

Thanks WW, I am not going to argue the facts, just the argument. :-)

I really wish that issues regarding pollution, natural habitat, and natural resources WEREN'T so political. One of the reasons I love this magazine so much, is that it seems to cater to the hunters and stays neutral when it comes to politics. Many other outdoors magazines seem to preach politics with their publication. That is why I don't renew them.
I wish that conservation groups/clubs also didn't have to be political. It seems that they have to be affiliated with a party or have major lobbying to try to get anything accomplished, and it seems like it is so bipartisan that even if the principles are important to a politician, they will still vote it down just because of an affiliation to a party.

Good luck to all, hunt safely. Only 16 more days 'til MN firearms opener!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:58 pm

Good luck to you too Nate! Get a big'un!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

ChewyTKE609

Postby ChewyTKE609 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:05 pm

I believe in evolution, global warming, natural selection, and that the earth is 4.5 billion years old.  I also belive that God created life on Earth and that evolution is a tool of God's. 

As for global warming, I realize that in the grand scheme of things we've only been on this planet for an infinitessimal amount of time.  However, I don't see how one can claim that what we do doesn't affect the climate.  There are almost 9 BILLION people on this tiny little planet.  There are billions of cars on the roads and industry spewing chemicals and CO2 into the air every hour of every day.  Couple that with the loss of forestlands and rain forests and you've got the makings of how humans do affect Earth's atmosphere.  Remember the hole in the ozone layer?  If I remember correctly, humans were the major culprit in that as well.  So, while there may be some out there who blow global warming way over the top, I still believe it's real and what's the harm in changing the way we live so future generations don't have to clean up after us. 

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features