Article on Deer calls

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
msbadger

Article on Deer calls

Postby msbadger » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:41 am

I just received my latest issue and skimmed the deer call article....What a great article so far...things I've been doing and hearing for years...It's great to see the same reactions noticed by others...different than the same old "calling" articles one reads in hunting magazines ...nice job

reeper0697

RE: Article on Deer calls

Postby reeper0697 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:51 pm

Is this from the November 2009 issue?
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:34 am

It was a good article.

Peter Fiduccia, the author, did a segment on his TV show Woods and Water or something like that a couple of years ago.

D&DH TV should think about doing a segment again.  While it's good to read about some of those sounds, it's better to hear what they should sound like.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

FlDeerman

Postby FlDeerman » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:40 pm

Agree, agree, agree,finally a real "how to" article that makes sense.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:42 am

I have Peter Fiduccia's CD "Tactics for Talking to Deer". It's pretty good. You can also see video clips of him demonstrating some of the sounds on his website. If you go to www.deerdoctor.com it will link to his website.

nateberly

Postby nateberly » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:02 am

Yes, I enjoyed this article immensely! I have dozens of books that cover the same thing, but it is nice to have most of everything within a couple of page turns! Great early morning refresher!
Thanks Peter and D+DH

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:43 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

It was a good article.

Peter Fiduccia, the author, did a segment on his TV show Woods and Water or something like that a couple of years ago.

D&DH TV should think about doing a segment again.  While it's good to read about some of those sounds, it's better to hear what they should sound like.
What a great idea Ranwin33 , Hearing the sounds makes all the difference in my opinion as well. Your post gave me a really good idea!  I'd like to see the website add those very sounds, so we can all hear them for ourselves! I bet alot of our young hunters have no idea how to use even a grunt tube let alone when to use them. I'd love to see some type of "how to call deer correctly"  audio section for the website. 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:14 am

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

It was a good article.

What a great idea Ranwin33 , Hearing the sounds makes all the difference in my opinion as well. Your post gave me a really good idea!  I'd like to see the website add those very sounds, so we can all hear them for ourselves! I bet alot of our young hunters have no idea how to use even a grunt tube let alone when to use them. I'd love to see some type of "how to call deer correctly"  audio section for the website. 

I'd second this, what a great resource an audio section with proper deer calls would be for this website. Even after 6 years of hunting and trying to call deer I'd be more than interested in something like this, I'm always looking for ways to better myself when it comes to hunting. Some of the calls I've purchased come with a DVD but something from D&DH would be greatly appreciated as a source you can trust.

nateberly

Postby nateberly » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:40 am

Here is a playlist that has most of them that they posted on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpaKaGtLkHM

buckfarmdude

Postby buckfarmdude » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:56 am

I also thought this was a great article. I was scouting two days ago, walking throught the woods for a few hours. I had done a Scent-a-way shower and sprayed down my clothes with Primos Silver XP Earth. I was quietly slipping through some mature oaks and I saw a deer walking away from me at about 50 yards. I did a series of grunts and bleats, and she came in on a string, and didn't stop until she was only fifteen yards away. She never smelled me or figured out what I was. I wasn't near any kind of ground cover; I was sitting right in the open, and made every effort not to move a muscle of look her in the eye. She eventually snorted and bounded off, stopped and snorted again. I snorted back, and a few minutes later I heard more snorting to my right. I think she circled around to try to wind me. It's the first time I've ever called a deer right to me like that. It was very exiting.
Psalm 42:1 "As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for Thee O God."

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features