Predicting the rut

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
scottflesher

Predicting the rut

Postby scottflesher » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:54 pm

On the 8/29/09 episode, Charlie talked about how he predicted the rut. He stated that if the rutting moon fell before 11/10 then it would be a traditional rut. I have 2 questions: 1. Does the phases of the rut begin at the full moon? Ex. If the rutting moon falls on 11/2, does the 3 phases of the rut begin roughly on 11/2? So if the rutting moon fell on 11/9, the phases would begin roughly 11/9? 2. If the rutting moon falls after 11/10, what happens? Does this mean the rut falls later in the month of November?
Any help on this subject would be great. I'm an avid bowhunter and would like to do a better job of predicting the rut in future years.

ranwin33

RE: Predicting the rut

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

From this website: http://www.charliealsheimer.com/ca/articles/touched.html

[*]When the second full moon after the autumnal equinox falls between late October and November 12th, the seeking phase of the rut will start approximately three to four days before the full moon and run three to four days after it. The chasing phase will kick in a couple days after the full moon and be intense for about ten days following the full moon. The breeding phase will begin about seven days after the full moon and last about fourteen days thereafter if the herd is fine-tuned (meaning it has good nutrition, good habitat, a good sex ratio, and a well represented mature buck population). Note that the phases will overlap somewhat.

[*]When the second full moon after the autumnal equinox occurs November 13th or later, the seeking phase will begin approximately three days before the full moon. However, the chasing phase will begin a little earlier than normal, and the breeding phase will occur from the full moon to fourteen days thereafter in fine-tuned herds. So, when the rutting moon appears late, the breeding phase takes place a little sooner than when it appears in early November.

Hope this helps.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

eagle eye

Postby eagle eye » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:00 am

The second full moon after the autumnal equinox this year takes place on November 2 which is earlier than normal. Additionally from what I have observed from the stand this year the deer are active early. There are a lot of scrapes and the bucks have already broken up and starting to mock chase. All indications point to an early rut in the first full week of November
John Wojtas
Enjoying the moment and always striving to enhance our hunting heritage

wmbaker

Postby wmbaker » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:33 am

So when you say "rut the 1st full week in november,"  what phase of the rut are you talking about?  the chasing, seeking, or breeding??  I live in central kentucky and have vacation set up for Nov 6-16 2009.  Avid bow hunter,  just making sure that i don't need to move it to a week earlier.  any help would be greatly appreciated.

buckmasters3000

Postby buckmasters3000 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:47 am

A little rule of thumb I go by is the first cold snap after the full moon.The cold is already here.The full moon is Nov.2nd,and its on!Me personally,I like to hunt the Very pre rut when the bucks are ready and fighting,but the does are not quite smeeling good.I use an interdigital drag,hang an estrous wick,and then hang a tarsal gland wick.Then,about every half hour I will rattle,at that time,mimmicking a full blown fight.The bucks come in running ready to fight!

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:59 am

all great information and advice. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post. For wmbaker, i'm hunting in SE Ohio and will be hunting Nov 7th thru 14th. While some may say this is too late, i've found that during the seeking phase is when the majority of mature bucks drop their guard. Sure you may see more deer activity in the chasing phase, but my experience is that the mature bucks aren't as active. They seem to reserve their energy for when the does are closer to being ready. Last year I hunted Nov 1st thru 7th and while I did see 1 mature buck, the majority of what I saw was smaller deer that seemed to be just going thru the motions. I believe that the last few days of your hunt may be close to the "lock down" period, but the first half should be great. Best of luck to you.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:02 am

ORIGINAL: wmbaker

So when you say "rut the 1st full week in november,"  what phase of the rut are you talking about?  the chasing, seeking, or breeding??  I live in central kentucky and have vacation set up for Nov 6-16 2009.  Avid bow hunter,  just making sure that i don't need to move it to a week earlier.  any help would be greatly appreciated.
  I am wondering how the geographical location plays into how Charles determines when the "rut" will arrive in the southern areas? Take wild moral mushrooms for exsample. they arrive in my area generally 2-3 weeks after southern Wisconsin has thier first mushroom harvest. So does that mean the rut could arrive later the further south you travel,  due to the warmer weather there?    
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features