A magazine Im proud to read

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
deermagnet

A magazine Im proud to read

Postby deermagnet » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:07 pm

I have had it with my hunting magazines over the past year..I feel like I have to rip pages out or hide them from my kids..All the make you a better lover and such ads make me sick. Do they think this is why the hunting population is shrinking.? I would gladly pay a few extra dollars NOT to see this in a HUNTING magazine. I buy the magazine to read about hunting and hunters experiences...I find it a total waste of paper..And to have 4 or 5 pages of it that I pay for is wrong. Just had to vent that....Was glad to see Deer and deer hunting magazine had given me what I paid for.....Thanks Jeff Foulks...BlueMound Illinois

Everyday Hunter

RE: A magazine Im proud to read

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:43 pm

ORIGINAL: deermagnet

I have had it with my hunting magazines over the past year..I feel like I have to rip pages out or hide them from my kids..All the make you a better lover and such ads make me sick. Do they think this is why the hunting population is shrinking.? I would gladly pay a few extra dollars NOT to see this in a HUNTING magazine. I buy the magazine to read about hunting and hunters experiences...I find it a total waste of paper..And to have 4 or 5 pages of it that I pay for is wrong. Just had to vent that....Was glad to see Deer and deer hunting magazine had given me what I paid for.....Thanks Jeff Foulks...BlueMound Illinois

Welcome to the D&DH forums, Jeff. I'm glad to see your comments on the ads you mention. But I'll correct you on one thing -- you said "And to have 4 or 5 pages of it that I pay for is wrong." Actually, you're not the one paying for the ads. It's more accurate to think of the ads subsidizing the price of the magazine. Without advertising, magazines would be way more than a few dollars higher -- and more expensive than most people are willing to pay. Of course, it's also true that magazines don't have to accept all advertising, and I too hope they don't find their way into D&DH. I don't think our audience is a good fit for those ads. If the management is ever approached about running those ads, I hope they agree.

Happy hunting out there in the Land o' Lincoln.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features