In praise of old issues!

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Sam Menard

In praise of old issues!

Postby Sam Menard » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:49 am

I've been a dedicated reader of DDH since the early 1990's. I started collecting the magazines around 1995 and most are in excellent condition. Often, when waiting for a new issue to arrive and needing a "fix", I'll get an old one out of the cupboard and give it a read. Suprisingly, I'll usually come accross articles that I had forgotten, or I'll read something that I can now relate to. Most often, the articles are as relevant today as they were 10+ years ago. Sometimes what I really find interesting are the ads; some products died a quick (and necessary) death, while other products are still going strong. I plan to buy the CD with all the early issues so that I see what I missed back in the 70's and 80's.

Sam
"The true hunter counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport."

Dr. Saxton Pope

Everyday Hunter

RE: In praise of old issues!

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:57 am

ORIGINAL: Sam Menard

Most often, the articles are as relevant today as they were 10+ years ago....  I plan to buy the CD with all the early issues so that I see what I missed back in the 70's and 80's.

Sam

The sign of a great magazine. I'm considering the CD also.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:05 am

i have founfd the poland spring water bottle cases will hold a lot of magazines,i just cant seem to throw them out,needless to say my wife is PO'ed
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:40 am

So what products have lasted the 10 years???

And what are some of those that didn't make it?

I think it would be interesting to see and compare.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Sam Menard

Postby Sam Menard » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:46 pm

One thing is obvious is the fact that several treestand manufactures have dissapeared. Remembe the treelounge? Game cameras have come a long way from the trail monitors; remember the ones with the string tiggers? Camo has changed quite a bit too.

Sam
"The true hunter counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport."

Dr. Saxton Pope

hendo64

Postby hendo64 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:36 pm

Hey man just to let ya know treelounge is still around they even offer ladder stands now. I use one of the climbers actually! it was my gradpas it is an awesome stand. alittle on the heavy side but easy to use and effective. I think because they are heavy is why they are not that popular now days. I have considered getting the cd as well just to see what I have missed over the years. im only 23 so I bet there is a lot I could learn from a cd with 30 years of info on it!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:44 am

I thought the tree lounge was still around, but then I haven't checked for a few years.

I'd be interested in seeing some ads for compound bows from 10 years ago or so.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

FlDeerman

Postby FlDeerman » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:50 am

I'm another saver,I think my wife has given up complaining about it.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:53 am

I don't keep any of them.  I always end up giving them to friends and simply ask them to pass it on when they are done.

I also give some to my 8 year old son to look at.  He loves 'em too!  He has the D&DH calendar in his room with opening day circled.  Love it.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

buckfarmdude

Postby buckfarmdude » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:21 pm

Couldn't agree more. I have been getting out the old ones recently and reading them. I love how I can go back and read articles that I read several time when I first got the magazine a couple of years back, and still get more out of them today. It's what makes a magazine great. It's why I continue to renew my subscription year after year.
P.S. I have also just started watching the TV show. IT'S SO AWESOME!!! The magazine talks so much about deer behavior, which is great, but it's so much better to see it for yourself!
Psalm 42:1 "As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for Thee O God."

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features