Shed antler article ( please explain)

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
charlie 01

Shed antler article ( please explain)

Postby charlie 01 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:39 pm

Questions about the March issue of Charles Alsheimer's " After The Shed Drops". His statement ( the insert on page 56) states that a buck's pedicles become shorter as he becomes older has me perplexed. With some 30 years of shed hunting, I can't imagine, exactly what that means or what he is trying to say. I was in hopes he could please exlpain this statement.
As far as bucks dropping both antlers at the same time, I find that quite often in my area in Illinois. Most are found within feet of each other. There are times though when the second to go is physically knocked off by either a hind leg, a tree, or a bush. Some I found jamed into the thick bases of a bush and in most cases within sight of the first matching antler. You can usually tell which antler fell off naturally and which one was knocked off. The antler pedicle of the natural drop will be smooth and burr free where as the forced off antler pedicle will have some sort of burr from stll being attached. Then again, some carry that last antler for a lengthly time, to the point of being over a mile away from the first dropped matching antler.
I have to wonder if someone thinks we are to buy the fact that the cast antler pictured on page 52 is from the deer pictured. Not so.
Last edited by charlie 01 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Schmidt

Re: Shed antler article ( please explain)

Postby Schmidt » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:53 am

Charles Alsheimer was forwarded a copy of your note, and we will post his reply shortly.

Schmidt

Postby Schmidt » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:40 am

The text in the article included a typo. It should state that a buck's pedicle gets larger as he grows older. As for the photo that you are questioning, the shed is indeed from the same buck. Charles Alsheimer said he photographed this deer next to the antler less than 5 minutes after the buck shed the antler.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:31 pm

Yes, that does clear up my question, thanks. As for the photo, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but the reason I questioned it, is because the coloration dosen't seem to match. Some coloration comes from the kinds of trees they rub on and I don't see anything on the antler on the ground, plus, being that it just fell off I see no indication of any blood on the antler pedicle. I will say that not every cast antler that I have found had blood on the pedicle. I just wondered about it, and I realize everything is not as it looks. Again, thanks for answering.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features