CWD FACTS & FICTION

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Gulfcapt

CWD FACTS & FICTION

Postby Gulfcapt » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:05 am

Im a out sider looking in with the hopes of being able to hunt Wisconsin one year! The artical in D&DH on CWD FACTS & FICTION Really got my goat! Especially the part of eradicating deer by means of sharp shooters.

The hunting industry of WIS is a 1.4 billion dollar a year sport with around 600,000 lisenses sold a year!
The State bosted 1.2 million deer in 2005, Im going to jump right to 2009 that was 900,000 deer at the end of 2009 hunting season. it has gone to a earn a buck tag by means of shooting a doe in order to collect a tag to harvest a buck! The deer population has been arguably on the decrease from what I read in this state
How can a State/DNR/DEP. Allow A eradication of thousands of deer in a so called infected area of a state and expect it to stop the infection of CWD?
University of Wisconsin-madison done a study of Spongiform/prion in soil, and found that proin disease gets into the soil from feces dropping and urine and stays their for years!
Your deer regularly consume soil to meet their mineral needs its possible that proin-laden soil particals contribute to the transmission of proin disease like CWD among animals!

So why kill thousand of deer out of a area, if you are going to do nothing with the soil they eat from?

gunther89

RE: CWD FACTS & FICTION

Postby gunther89 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:54 am

Bingo!!!  The DNR doesn't know what to do except they think that killing every deer will solve the problem.  News flash to the DNR there are hardly any does left in alot of the CWD areas and yet we have to shoot a antlerless deer first.  Let us shoot whatever we want.  No matter how hard they try they will never shoot all the deer.  Mother nature is much stronger then we are and will always come out on top no matter what. 

We basically have a 4 month season to shoot as many deer as we can since they hand out 4 free doe tags a day.  Yet why are overall harvest numbers declining when there are so many deer left in the CWD zone? 

I was upset as Les Davenport only pointed out that a friend in Madison was seeing and shooting better bucks.  I am seeing better bucks too but I'm also seeing a major decrease in does and fawns in our area, so much that our buck to doe ratio is probably 2:1 maybe even 3:1!  Why doesn't he report how many hunters are fed up with EAB and how there aren't enough deer around.  Maybe he should have reported local landowners in the CWD zone has roughly 10,000 acres locked up that won't be hunted because they feel the deer herd can't take another year of EAB. 
Scott

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:49 am

I also wanted to add that Canadian Gov issued a CWD kill off in SASK a few years ago of Mule deer & Prairie moose!

A editorial by Garry Donald Which I will shorten up alot.
there game department is still issueing mule tag to Zones that were already hunted hard during the CWD kill-off. Zones like 24,29,45,46 and others with low populations. he fears this year will be the final curtain for them in those areas! He also goes on to say how they are out of touch with reality and have no clue of the deer left in these zones...

Does this sound familar?

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:37 am

While I realize that this forum is a little stale, I have to add my opinion.
I hunt in Hampshire County, West Virginia. The DNR discovered CWD there several years ago in one side of county. They implemented a control process whereby deer carcasses taken from that area of the county had to have the hide removed and the head/spine/spinal cord removed before the deer could be taken out of the county. Naturally, neighboring states (VA, MD and PA) as well as neighboring counties are concerned about introducing CWD into their areas (I believe that VA has started to see cases of it.) The DNR also began taking somewhat sporadic gland samples from deer being checked in from that county.
Along the way they have been checking road-kills as well as some sharp-shooting in selected areas, also checking for CWD. Public details on this are vague.
Last year (big surprise) they discovered that CWD has now spread to other parts of that county and the previous containment rules now apply to the entire county. These include no baiting, no feeders, but food plots appear to still be legal. I'm not sure I can understand the rationale behind that.
Additionally, they have made all seasons more liberal, including special firearms doe seasons in September and a few days in late Oct. Seems to me that the size of the deer herd in this county, is going to shrink away until deer are fairly scarce.
We rarely see big bucks in the mountainous region, but in the past we have had a ton of deer. I see that fading away, with still no cure for CWD.
What's my point? Not sure I have one, other than ranting.
Well, we still do not know how to deal with CWD. I've read some articles that suggest that it is a natural cyclical thing and will resolve itself over time, until the next outbreak. I don't know about that. How did CWD get introducted to a county in WV, and not be found elsewhere in the state?
However, there appears to be no threat to humans from CWD, so it may be best to shoot those deer that look emasculated and have them checked by the DNR. (Of course they don't get the test results back for a week or two and you can then check the status of your number on their website. Meanwhile, I suppose you just let your venison age.)
This year, the local DNR has told us (several of us who bothered to ask) that they will be placing dumpster type containers at strategic locations throughout the county in which we can dispose of deer carcasses. Two weeks of a special September season has come and gone and no dumpsters yet sighted. This may or may not be important since the DNR keeps telling us that CWD is carried in the brain and spinal fluids of infected deer, and how and where one disposes of the carcass could be significant.
I am totally confused as to exactly what the new rules require and how I am to adhere to them.
I do believe that the WV DNR is trying to deal with this situation, but they don't seem to have much of a publicly-announced plan, beyond severely reducing the size of the herd.
That approach doesn't appear to be working elsewhere where CWD has been present for some time.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:37 am

retiredsailor They charged a extra $5.00 for a lic this year here in Florida for CWD studies, Fine by me it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they charged more as long as they can figure out a cure for it! Stick the med's in a salt lick and set them out all over the state for the deer to lick up!

One group of biologist done a study on a deer heard for 2 years! At the begining of the study They tested every deer in that heard for CWD and found 1 That was infected.. At the end of that 2 years not a "ONE" contracted the disease from the infected deer or any other for that matter!

BTW how do you go by getting a deer mounted if they take your hide, Buy one from a different infected state? don't make no sense!

Do they take your Rack also?

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:52 am

My take is this.  We have much better technology every day, that has allowed us to discover many more things.  What we don't have is the knowledge to fix the things that we can now find.  The problem is we are relying in the government to develop the cure, not a very efficient group of fellows there.  When CWD becomes more than just a "potential" problem and it really starts to affect the bottom line of the hunting industry, then we'll see some great leaps in fixes for and funding for private research on CWD.  Until that happens, sit back an watch the government do what it is best at, spend your money while the wheels get deeper and deeper in the ruts. 

My other opinion is that the government is in a no win situation with this.  They need for CWD to stop spreading and to go away for the single reason that if it is ever proven to affect humans, they will never regain trust in the public.  They have to take drastic measures because of the lack knowledge and lack of money due to their inefficiency and ineptitude with all the other programs that they run poorly.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:24 pm

Sizeing a deer heard/population for anyone State is at "BEST" a guess, for any DNR/Biologist! They take studie's of certain areas then apply it for the entire STATE to come up with their so called data.. Now your area A-B-C-D-E-F-G could have farless deer then area's H-I-J-K-L-M-N does. But that dosn't matter because they done their studies in H-I-J-k-L-M-N and It shows the deer heards are Alittle better/worse in those areas so (#'s ) are applied to the entire STATE with out even looking at A-B-C-D-E-F-G!

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:08 am

That's not the case in Wisconsin. 

The DNR manages by Deer Management Unit.  The CWD Units have very different management policies than Herd Control Units, Regular Units and Buck Only Units.  So, to say what you just have is showing that you missed the point or didn't do any research to see how things are actually done. 

The disgust is coming from the guys in the south that like seeing lots and lots of deer every time they go out.  Likewise, from the North.  There are still lots of deer in Wisconsin, are they where they were when there were considerably more deer on the landscape, no, but that comes down to the hunter changing how and where he hunts, not the DNR just adding more deer to the landscape so the hunter doesn't actually need to hunt.

Warning, this is an opinion and I'm sure I'll be flamed for it.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:13 am

LOL flamed for it!

NO Im not going to flame anyone On this subject, everyone knows Its absulotly impossible to get a count accurate but this is one way they use

Deer density is uasally expressed in either "Deer per square mile" or in "Acres per deer"
Since we know their is 640 acres in a square mile, Simply divide the density into 640 to convert between either. EXAMPLE

10 deer per square miles =64 acres per deer,and
20 acres per deer =32deer per square mile

Deer per square mile 10 20 30 40 50 60

acres per deer 64 32 21 16 13 11

Again this might not be their exact formula but QDMA uses it and like they said in their articals (exceptions to this rule applies in different areas)

Im not from up that way but I do read, and different areas up that way are declining in deer numbers unless its all a lie. 900,000 deer came straight from DNR its on a decline, and know with earn a buck tag that only means that a heck of alot more does will be shot then normal to be able to kill that buck!! I will say it again (FOR EVERY DOE THAT IS KILLED YOU KILL 3 DEER).

But Dan Im with you! This is my opinion on this years harvesting #ssssss I can't see anygood coming out of it

ORIGINAL: Dan Salmon

That's not the case in Wisconsin. 

The DNR manages by Deer Management Unit.  The CWD Units have very different management policies than Herd Control Units, Regular Units and Buck Only Units.  So, to say what you just have is showing that you missed the point or didn't do any research to see how things are actually done. 

The disgust is coming from the guys in the south that like seeing lots and lots of deer every time they go out.  Likewise, from the North.  There are still lots of deer in Wisconsin, are they where they were when there were considerably more deer on the landscape, no, but that comes down to the hunter changing how and where he hunts, not the DNR just adding more deer to the landscape so the hunter doesn't actually need to hunt.

Warning, this is an opinion and I'm sure I'll be flamed for it.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:31 am

It's on a decline by design.  The DNR for the past decade has been actively trying to lower the deer herd population.  Earn a buck has work particularly well in some areas, too well in some areas and not much in other areas.  The areas that continue to be Earn a buck are areas where most of the land is privately held and were most of the opposition and, for lack of a better word, obstruction of the DNR policies are happening.

The DNR uses deer per square mile of deer range, which doesn't necessarily equal the square miles in a DMU.  It's based on typical deer range, taking out most of crop fields and cities etc.

FOR EVERY DOE THAT IS KILLED YOU KILL 3 DEER

This is true in a herd that is well below carrying capacity.  Where the Wisconsin deer herd is for the most part, this would be an antiquated argument.  And is one of the reasons you see so much opposition the the DNR's policies.  Private land owners who believe they are doing something better for "Their Deer" instead of looking at is as bettering the "Public Resource" (all hunters and taxpayers in the state have equal right to ownership) that utilizes their land is what is hampering the results in my opinion. 

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features