CWD FACTS & FICTION

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Dan Salmon

RE: CWD FACTS & FICTION

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:34 am

Also, as much as I agree with having public input in Natural Resource Management that Wisconsin allows, there are decisions that need to be made without public opinion as a input.  The public in general wants what is best for them, not what is best as a whole.  Don't take that as a Liberal slant on things, because it isn't.  It is a Macro look at something that the public generally looks at on the micro level.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:19 am

If we had a honest State/Gov that we could count on, and to do what is in the best interest of the people, NOT person! then I would say handle it DNR without any input..
But from future experiences, once they take something from us it's nearly impossible to get it back! So Im all for public input,as long as its for the good of all..

Im plaining a trip next year to hunt somewhere up their!
I want to see all these deer people talk about,but to go to a place that has not lived up to its hype is like going snow sking in ASPEN Col. and find out they have no snow!

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:42 am

BTW how do you go by getting a deer mounted if they take your hide, Buy one from a different infected state? don't make no sense!

Do they take your Rack also?

Gulfcapt: I've asked the state DNR that specific question (I have never had one mounted but both sons have, when they tag a nice deer). The answer I received was that you simply cannot take the head out of the containment area. However, if you want to keep the antlers, you may do a skull-cap cut and then thoroughly clean out the cap, removing all brain matter and such. As far as having a shoulder mount or something similar, you cannot keep the cape, so you would have to provide the antlers to your taxidermist and let him/her find another cape to use. Doesn't sound like something I'd want to do. Expect that would add a bit more to the overall cost.

I also agree totally with some of the above comments by Dan regarding the level of trust or rather, distrust I have for any government agency. And I do feel that state game management agencies, like most levels of government, could be a lot more efficient in how they spend their budgets. But........we have to try to make those systems work to our advantage. One of our forefathers, Tom Jefferson perhaps, is quoted as having once said that the biggest threat to freedom is for good men to see a wrong and do nothing to try to correct it.

CWD is a problem, and we still don't have much of a handle on it. As Dan said, when the problem reaches a certain level of severity, only then will we start seeing more resources directed toward resolving it.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:31 pm

i know the Insurance Companies are pushing your State to do something about the Deer population Because of the vehicle/deer collisions in Wis.

I would be very werry on how the State/DNR/ manages/handles deer density It might be on a decline by design but when will enough be enough? when its to late

{It's on a decline by design.  The DNR for the past decade has been actively trying to lower the deer herd population.}
  Earn a buck has work particularly well in some areas, too well in some areas and not much in other areas.  The areas that continue to be Earn a buck are areas where most of the land is privately held and were most of the opposition and, for lack of a better word, obstruction of the DNR policies are happening.

The DNR uses deer per square mile of deer range, which doesn't necessarily equal the square miles in a DMU.  It's based on typical deer range, taking out most of crop fields and cities etc.

FOR EVERY DOE THAT IS KILLED YOU KILL 3 DEER

This is true in a herd that is well below carrying capacity.  Where the Wisconsin deer herd is for the most part, this would be an antiquated argument.  And is one of the reasons you see so much opposition the the DNR's policies.  Private land owners who believe they are doing something better for "Their Deer" instead of looking at is as bettering the "Public Resource" (all hunters and taxpayers in the state have equal right to ownership) that utilizes their land is what is hampering the results in my opinion. 
[/quote]
The DNR for the past decade has been actively trying to lower the deer herd population. Earn a buck has work

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:45 pm

LOL I tried to quote a phrase and screwed it all up sorry! good luck on making head and tails out of that mess

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:35 pm

The insurance companies are one of many different groups that are making a push for things with the DNR, to say that the insurance companies are the end all be all of the problems in the state is misguided at best.  The problem here is much like everywhere else.  There are too many special interests with money to spare that believe that they are doing the right thing, but with strings attached to the money. In order for the DNR to tap into that funding, they make misguided decisions that often fly in the face of the constituents that they are there to serve.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Dan you put words in my sentences! but thats ok! When people Start getting Injured/killed over accident involving Deer, and Insurance companies having to pay Litterally MILLIONS, and if I remember right Damages are estimated at 1.1 billon dallars ayear then the head of the states start to listen..
ORIGINAL: Dan Salmon

The insurance companies are one of many different groups that are making a push for things with the DNR, to say that the insurance companies are the end all be all of the problems in the state is misguided at best.  The problem here is much like everywhere else.  There are too many special interests with money to spare that believe that they are doing the right thing, but with strings attached to the money. In order for the DNR to tap into that funding, they make misguided decisions that often fly in the face of the constituents that they are there to serve.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:50 pm

Thank for the clarification on the mounts retiredsailor! If some one got lucky enough to get a booner, and have their horns cut completly away from the skull, Iwonder if it still would be eligible for scoring! I would really like to know if anyone in this forum has shot a deer that was tested positive for CWD also..
ORIGINAL: retiredsailor

BTW how do you go by getting a deer mounted if they take your hide, Buy one from a different infected state? don't make no sense!

Do they take your Rack also?

Gulfcapt: I've asked the state DNR that specific question (I have never had one mounted but both sons have, when they tag a nice deer). The answer I received was that you simply cannot take the head out of the containment area. However, if you want to keep the antlers, you may do a skull-cap cut and then thoroughly clean out the cap, removing all brain matter and such. As far as having a shoulder mount or something similar, you cannot keep the cape, so you would have to provide the antlers to your taxidermist and let him/her find another cape to use. Doesn't sound like something I'd want to do. Expect that would add a bit more to the overall cost.

I also agree totally with some of the above comments by Dan regarding the level of trust or rather, distrust I have for any government agency. And I do feel that state game management agencies, like most levels of government, could be a lot more efficient in how they spend their budgets. But........we have to try to make those systems work to our advantage. One of our forefathers, Tom Jefferson perhaps, is quoted as having once said that the biggest threat to freedom is for good men to see a wrong and do nothing to try to correct it.

CWD is a problem, and we still don't have much of a handle on it. As Dan said, when the problem reaches a certain level of severity, only then will we start seeing more resources directed toward resolving it.

maximousacat

Postby maximousacat » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:47 am

CWD=Casualties While Driving!

I live in Northern Illinois and I hunt Boone County on private land. If you know anything about the whole cwd thing here in Illinois you will know that Boone County has been the hardest hit county for both cwd and sharp shootng. They have totally descimated the herd. They contradict (IDNR) themselves. We are not alowed to bait but, they due when they do there sharp shooting. The hunters here in Northern Illinois were told that the sharp shooting program would only last five years maximum, it will be going on seven next spring. I bow hunted the land that I have for 5 yrs. and in that time I have seen a total of six deers and I ended up getting one last year. Before they started the sharp shooting you could walk through those woods and almost get ran over by the deer held up in them.

I'm ranting and raving yes but, nobody wants to listen to whats really going on until they discover cwd in their neck of the woods. That's when they will get the sharp shooters, sit out there for years and not get a thing. People say that they should get another place to hunt well, here in Illinois you have to have a lot of money. The whole reason why I hunt is for food not a trophy so, I can feed my kids. I just wish the IDNR would realize that.

CWD has been around for longer then they think just let it run it's course.

maximousacat

Postby maximousacat » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:50 am

To GulfCapt my husband shoot a doe that was positive and we ate it. She was tasty.[:D]

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features