CWD FACTS & FICTION

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Dan Salmon

RE: CWD FACTS & FICTION

Postby Dan Salmon » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:38 am

ORIGINAL: Gulfcapt

Dan you put words in my sentences! but thats ok! When people Start getting Injured/killed over accident involving Deer, and Insurance companies having to pay Litterally MILLIONS, and if I remember right Damages are estimated at 1.1 billon dallars ayear then the head of the states start to listen..
ORIGINAL: Dan Salmon

The insurance companies are one of many different groups that are making a push for things with the DNR, to say that the insurance companies are the end all be all of the problems in the state is misguided at best.  The problem here is much like everywhere else.  There are too many special interests with money to spare that believe that they are doing the right thing, but with strings attached to the money. In order for the DNR to tap into that funding, they make misguided decisions that often fly in the face of the constituents that they are there to serve.

Again, not the case.  Our good buddy here in Wisconsin that goes by the name Governor Doyle, gave a huge kick back to the trial lawyers in this state by passing new legislation that increased the minimum amount of auto insurance that needs to be carried by all residents of Wisconsin.  In so doing this, he also kicked more money to the insurance companies.  It's not as cut and dried as it looks.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:46 pm

Maximousacat thanks for reply! you are the first that I heard of, and if you don't mind replying again, Did the deer look sickly or skinny, mangy? Parts of Canada are dealing with the same kind of moronic idiots, that think by killing everything in sight will make it all better. Im sure if they tried harder they could come up with some sort of a cure.

Dan thats one Hell oF a Gov you people have up their, giving money like that away especially when a moterist that doesn't carry comprehensive Coverage are not covered against deer collisions anyways! Did anyone ask about MORE money for CWD research, and point in hand you said it yourself the insurance companies finally got something more money! I guess for now that lion will sleep.
ORIGINAL: maximousacat

To GulfCapt my husband shoot a doe that was positive and we ate it. She was tasty.[:D]

maximousacat

Postby maximousacat » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:41 am

Gulfcapt
No she did not look sickly or mangy. She weighed 142lbs. dressed. We did'nt even know that she was. In Illinois during shot gun season you have to take them to check points. There they take samples out from the base of the spinal cord. We had to wait almost a month to get the test results back and we had already ate some of it by then so, we just ate the rest of it.

Check the statistics of how many they have found with CWD and let me know if you would if it is worth how many the sharp shooters are killing to how many that are actually found with cwd.
http://dnr.state.il.us/CWD/2009-2010%20 ... 0final.pdf

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:03 pm

The way they write some of this mess makes a person brain hurt trying to read and decipher what they say! I can say this tho out of the 43,000 deer tested prior to 09 less then 1%,and its more like .06% of your deer Had CWD! The artical said the So called sharp shooters only killed 596 I think it was.. 35/37 was positive thats 6% of the deer they shot in the so called HIGH RISK AREA's that were positive I personaly think its a waste of a animal to go through and masacure that many to find 30 to 40 deer. I DO believe they can go about this alot better then killing pregnant femals too. thank you maximousacat for the artical I saved it in my favorites, they will be doing studies here in florida soon on CWD ,and it looks like we better get involved
ORIGINAL: maximousacat

Gulfcapt
No she did not look sickly or mangy. She weighed 142lbs. dressed. We did'nt even know that she was. In Illinois during shot gun season you have to take them to check points. There they take samples out from the base of the spinal cord. We had to wait almost a month to get the test results back and we had already ate some of it by then so, we just ate the rest of it.

Check the statistics of how many they have found with CWD and let me know if you would if it is worth how many the sharp shooters are killing to how many that are actually found with cwd.
http://dnr.state.il.us/CWD/2009-2010%20 ... 0final.pdf

maximousacat

Postby maximousacat » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:37 am

GulfCapt Thank you for seeing how stupid sharp shooting is. People up here do not care unless it is affecting their hunting. It's like talking to a brick wall. I wish everyone in this state would wake up and see whats really going on.

CWD= CAR WITH DENT

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:40 am

The problem with Illinois is that the politicians are all so corrupt, that most people are caught up in that right now.  Wisconsin is not far behind in that respect either.
[align=right] [/align]

maximousacat

Postby maximousacat » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:40 am

I think all politicians are corrupt. I did'nt vote for them I'll tell you that much. I just wish the IDNR would listen but of course, they don't. Like I said before people whose hunting is not effected by this don't care. I would like to start a petition up or something along the lines for the people that have been effected by this.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:23 am

That is exactly the way the non-hunters and anti-gun lobbyists get what they want in the good ole' USA.  They prey on the apathy of the common man and they do it within the rule of law set by lawmakers that most people never turnout to vote in or out of office.  When the common man finally finds out what has happened, he still won't do anything other than cry about it because it takes too much time and effort to change it. 

Apathy, it's what has been killing America since the 1960's.

maximousacat

Postby maximousacat » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:35 am

I voted just not for the ones that are in office now.

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:36 am

I recently posted this comment on another forum but thought I'd re-post it here as well, to see if it can get any reaction.

"This CWD is not going away, is it? It just continues to spread and doesn't seem to be slowing down other than the sharp-shooting efforts, which is having doubtful positive effect, other than reducing the overall deer herds, in those areas contaminated - regardless of which state or locality.

While I am not by any means a trained or knowledgeable biologist, I am wondering if there is any work or research being conducted to develop some sort of vaccine to eradicate this disease. Perhaps I'm being naive, but should such a successful vaccine be developed, seems to me that it could be easily enough distributed to the majority of the wild deer herd (sprayed on bait piles, food plots, and otherwise distributed throughout the wild/wilderness areas. Would likely be somewhat expensive, but so are the costs of CWD testing, sharp-shooting and the other efforts already being required to try, with albeit, limited success, to combat CWD.
I watched 3 does this past weekend for some 20 minutes or so, eating acorns around a growth of oaks. Nothing had been baited there, no man-made food plots, just natures own bounty.......as I watched these deer, they were constantly touching noses, one eating where another had just move from..........with orchards, field crops, etc., this ban on bait piles and food plots seems like a very ineffectual method of trying to deal with this disease. Why not just attack the disease itself in the form of some sort of vaccine.
Wonder if some university research lab is already working on this, or at best, at lease considering it?
This ban on baiting and food plots strikes me as akin to the U.S. saying during World War II, "Let's not fight the Germans or the Japanese......let's just let them run out of bullets. Then the hostilities will end."
Any comments? Am I barking up the wrong tree here? I’ve not read nor heard anything about any efforts to try this approach to resolving CWD.
Just a wild thought."
It isn't what happens to us, it is how we deal with it, that matters most.

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features