CWD FACTS & FICTION

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Gulfcapt

RE: CWD FACTS & FICTION

Postby Gulfcapt » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:07 pm

Their is no cure as of 2009 for CWD! But they probably not working to hard on it either!
I read artical In ESPNOUTDOORS About 40 miles from U P of Michigan on the Wisconsin side someone shot a buck that had CWD! Well lord and behold they are going to STOP BAITING! BUT!!! STILL ALLOW FOOD PLOTS.. Makes absulutly no sense!!!!!!!!!!! WHY you may ask? Foodplot will stay on the ground alot longer then any bait pile will.. Especialy if that person TAGS OUT early in the season, he/she probably won't put nomore bait out..(why would they) The Article stated that the bait piles allow the deer to get to close to each other while feeding, but a food plot since they are usually bigger will keep them apart! lolol

How many of us has seen deer licking/gromming each other while eating/brousing?

The more I read on CWD the more I come to a conclusion that (SOME) of the Biologist that are studying CWD Graduated from the bottom of their class..(D-)

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:20 pm

There is a group from Canada that is working on a vaccine, but it won't be ready for at least another 4-5 years. 

I just read an article in the Wisconsin State Journal and not everyone on the CWD committee agrees with how we are handling CWD.  One guy went as far to say that he thought if we went back to the regular hunting season more deer would be shot.  Also the lead guy on the CWD committee stated that the prion lives in the soil and even if we were able to kill off every deer in the contaminated area, CWD would still be there because it's in the soil.  Basically they have no clue what there doing and with our DNR, when you don't know what's going on, just keep shooting deer!
Scott

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:39 pm

I said it once and I'll say it again.... Gay's are know to carry a high percentage of aids in this country do we shoot first and ask question's later, Hell we have as good of chance telling if they have aids as we do a deer carrying CWD. The other thing I don't get is we can have 100 deer and have let's say 10% of them with CWD or we can have 10 deer with 10 % of them with CWD what the hell's the differance we still have 10% of our deer infected with CWD and without being able to tell what your shooting all's your doing is bringing the number down but the same % are infected. GULFCAPT could not agree with you more on this,

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:38 am

I do want to add this to the topic!

not once have I Read where deer could contract CWD from eating meat!

Deer have been known to eat small birds, rodents, even gut piles that have been discarded, when their normal diets are lacking or unavailable to them!

So who's going to tell me that its not possible for a starving deer to eat off of another dead deer that lets say a yotie has killed.. Since this disease has been around for over 40 years it should be alot worse then it is.. "especially If you take into consideration how the biologist tell us it is spreaded" and we as hunters know how sociable deer are!

It could be if they do eat dead deer to stay alive, and this dead deer has CWD then it could be possible for a deer to contracting that disease from it..

Can I prove my theory? NO!!! but please Try to prove me wrong...

Swampbuckdown

Postby Swampbuckdown » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:52 am

A lot of misinformation and narrow thinking in some of these posts. Let me clarify a few things, at least in regards to Wisconsin.

EAB (earn-a-buck) is only active in the CWD units in the state. CWD units are not considered eradication zones anymore. Decrease the effective breeding does, you limit the disease as far as its growth rate. About 1% of deer in CWD area's test positive. The DNR is not the one stating CWD does not infect humans, rather the CDC (Center for disease control). The DNR simply puts the CDC information in their hunting guideline books.

EAB is the reason why WI has produced so many trophy bucks in the last few years. People were not able to shoot every spike, 4pt or 6pt that came across their path. By forcing hunters to shoot a doe prior to a buck, they reduce the herd, increase testosterone in bucks creating a more active rut and more traveling by rutting bucks to find a doe. It also saves the lives of many young bucks that will then grow into bigger and better bucks and increases competition levels among bucks. We currently have a moratorium on EAB, except in CWD, due to constant complaints by special interest groups. Now anyone can blast anything they see, and we all know that most "deer hunters" are weekend warriors who spend almost no time in the woods, no time scouting and have no hunting etiquette. I see people doing deer drives on opening weekend. That just ruins the entire area, as the deer will move to deeper more protected areas, pushing into more private areas.

Back on topic, in regards to Herd density and understanding deer. Wisconsin has implemented a new study that is unlike any done before. WI DNR are working with hunters to live trap fawns, to collar, track and study them like we have done other animals. This has not been done with deer before. There are two study factors taking place. One, is to find better ways to count deer, other than counting scat piles in a square mile area. The other is to study and understand buck mortality rates. Studying the cause of death and factors that affect bucks live span and growth. This is exciting to see real study being done, and that WI DNR are not just using old and outdated methods of deer study.

Sharpshooters in the state of WI are NOT always hired by the DNR. There are many hired by local towns/cities to remove deer from residential and city areas. It rarely has anything to do with CWD. (Last DNR sharpshooting I remember, culled 28 deer in Southern Kettle Moraine Forest on Walworth/Waukesha county lines. 28 killed, none tested positive for CWD) It has to do with super high deer density populations on smaller land areas in cities and towns due to urban sprawl. The DNR would rather open these areas to archery hunting, but the cities/towns would rather pay sharpshooters to remove deer, instead of allowing locals not only the ability to reduce the deer population in their own cities and towns, but would put venison in their freezer.

Beyond all this, you have people who blame deer herd reduction on the wolves in the state. In some aspects that can be true. If you have only 8 deer in a square mile, its likely that 8 will get serious pressure from wolves. However, in 2009 there was estimated 662 wolves in wisconsin. A healthy adult wolf can consume up to 20 deer a year. Do the math. 13,240 deer a year if they are successful everytime.

Hunters= 300,000-600,000 deer killed a year on average
Bears=33,000 (mostly fawns)
Coyote=16,000 (mostly fawns)
Wolves=13,000 (adults & fawns)
Vehicles=13,000
Bobcats= 6,000 (mostly fawns, some adults)
Winter= 5-15% of total population

These #'s are as of 2009. That is current data. So, ask yourself again, what is the real cause of lower kill counts the last two years? Is it animals who eat deer that are their natural food source or is it humans causing overkill. You can't harvest 500,000 deer, 6-7 seasons out of the last 10 and then blame wolves for low deer population.

My biggest issue is with weekend warrior deer hunters and the so called sportsman. Each is as greedy as the other, but for different reasons and both spend their time blaming everyone but themselves. We are all part of the problem and the solution, but which part are you?

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:19 am

Swampbuckdown Your statement about collaring deer,and afew other issues are wrong!!
LA. Collared deer 2 years ago to track the movement of them!

Car collisions with deer were projected at 43,000 by allstate for 2009-2010.

BTW do work with DNR OR SOMETHING TO THE EFFECT?

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:00 pm

Why is it when someone brings an intelligent, thought out retort to the popular opinion, that they are always called out as a PETA/DNR plant? 

Swampbuckdown is providing some good thought out reasoning for the lack of deer, and other issues, yet he's attacked because he doesn't just fall in line with the popular opinion that the DNR is retarded and every Tom, Dick and Harry in the state has a better idea about how to fix things.  Sheesh!

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:26 pm

Never said he wasn't..
Try rereading that first part of his post Dan..

The narrow thinking part got me..
ORIGINAL: Dan Salmon

Why is it when someone brings an intelligent, thought out retort to the popular opinion, that they are always called out as a PETA/DNR plant? 

Swampbuckdown is providing some good thought out reasoning for the lack of deer, and other issues, yet he's attacked because he doesn't just fall in line with the popular opinion that the DNR is retarded and every Tom, Dick and Harry in the state has a better idea about how to fix things.  Sheesh!

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:34 pm

Of course we humans are going to have a higher harvest rate because hunters were forced to shoot an antler-less deer before they could shoot a buck.  This is why the numbers are down throughout Wisconsin including in the CWD zone even though the DNR claims they aren't.  Almost every hunter I talk to now in the CWD zone says the population is down and are seeing fewer does.

Yes the DNR did get rid of the eradication zone but tell me why then did they add the land owner hunt which takes place from I believe January 4th-March 31?  Why does the CWD zone have 2 seperate antler-less hunts when hunters don't want them?   
Scott

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:57 pm

gunther if you can The Wisconsin State journal posted a artical on the Internet

"POLITICS, DEERHUNT TRADITION UNDERMINE FIGHT AGAINST CWD,EXPERTS SAY"

Read it and tell me if I read it wrong please, about them still useing limited sharpshooters to control cwd in cwd areas

thank you

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features