CWD FACTS & FICTION

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
gunther89

RE: CWD FACTS & FICTION

Postby gunther89 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:42 pm

Gulfcapt:  This is what Dave Clausen said

"Even so, Dave Clausen, a member of the Natural Resources Board, said the new plan is probably the best the agency can do in light of criticism of the DNR’s past efforts, which have included longer and more numerous seasons, rules aimed at killing more female deer and the use of sharpshooters."

Another quote later in the article:  "Control the spread of the disease by encouraging hunting in the CWD management zones and use of limited sharpshooting. The plan also calls for a more consistent season structure."

Here is the whole article: http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/environment/article_e3f46efe-f024-11df-8e17-001cc4c03286.html
Scott

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:12 pm

I need to learn how to post these articles like you done..

thank you sir..
ORIGINAL: gunther89

Gulfcapt:  This is what Dave Clausen said

"Even so, Dave Clausen, a member of the Natural Resources Board, said the new plan is probably the best the agency can do in light of criticism of the DNR’s past efforts, which have included longer and more numerous seasons, rules aimed at killing more female deer and the use of sharpshooters."

Another quote later in the article:  "Control the spread of the disease by encouraging hunting in the CWD management zones and use of limited sharpshooting. The plan also calls for a more consistent season structure."

Here is the whole article: http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/environment/article_e3f46efe-f024-11df-8e17-001cc4c03286.html

Swampbuckdown

Postby Swampbuckdown » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:12 pm

Gulfcapt, I should have stated specifically its the first study of its type by Wisconsin.

People claim there are less deer in CWD zone, especially since that is the only EAB units left. I see plenty of deer all bow season. The only seem to disappear once the guns come out. People claim the Wolves are killing ALL the deer in Northern WI. Biologists say that is simply untrue. Especially in light of the 15 year study by Minnesota. Tracking both wolves and deer with radio collars. Its people killing off all the deer up north. Just listen to people talk, the all want to go north or are going north. Then they come back disappointed because the forest was full of hunters and they didn't get a deer.

No I do not work with or for the DNR. I simply don't blame them for everything wrong with the hunting deer population. I don't blame the wolves for everything. Between the insane hunting pressure, and incredibly dumb hunting tactics, its a wonder even 300,000 deer are killed a season.

I think Dan should put together a list of "hunting etiquette" guidelines, and maybe some hunting "Do's & Don'ts". Honestly, I think there a huge need for hunters to learn.

Btw, CWD has 1 specific antlerless only hunt. The other one is statewide, except in new areas recently prohibited from taking does. CWD does have a "holiday" gun season. Opens Dec 24th and runs to whatever is the last day of the season. Usually in first week of January.

There is always room for improvement in management, but the DNR biologists are always wrong.

senorita

Postby senorita » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:12 am

The DNR uses deer per square mile of deer range, which doesn't necessarily equal the square miles in a DMU.  It's based on typical deer range, taking out most of crop fields and cities etc.

Previous

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features