Giant Whitetails!

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Goose

RE: Giant Whitetails!

Postby Goose » Fri May 22, 2009 2:24 am

Thanks Dan, the reason I asked is because a buddy from work reportedly shot a 146 lbs doe last year and friend that I can trust weighed it on a home scale. It might not be exact but regardless it was a monster doe. My experience for does has been anywhere from 90 to 120 lbs with the 120 lbs being nice does.

Great discussion guys! I too have noticed that some deer definitely appear longer than others.....Ive always wondered about that, are most of them the same with JPH's bulldog being a rare one? Are they all similar in length and they just look longer because they lost weight during the rut? Just curious if length varies alot from deer to deer?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

stumpsitter66

Postby stumpsitter66 » Fri May 22, 2009 2:25 am

My biggest buck weighed 226 pounds (he was weighed on a scale at a check station). My biggest doe weighed just under 140. That was weighed on one of those spring scales you get at Cabela's etc. I am assuming it was high 130s on a legit scale. I agree with Lonlon on the Canada deer. Saw a monster on the ground up there in Ontario one year. We guessed it was 275 but again it was weighed on a spring scale.

Jack

Spurred

Postby Spurred » Fri May 22, 2009 4:42 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

I think some of the posters are on to something when the look to length being the major factor in body weight. I have seen charts that use chest girth to estimate live weight but I doubt the accuracy. I shot a buck a couple of years ago that was built like a bulldog. On the hoof he looked like one of the biggest deer I had ever seen, but when I walked up on him I realized that he had a short body. The taxidermist had a hard time finding a form that would fit his neck, but he only field dressed at 185 lbs.

JPH,
I had the exact thing happen. I got my 236-pounder mounted, but I also killed a buck that was a "bulldog" that dressed 205 and had that deer mounted. The 205-pounder dwarfs my 236-pounder on the wall. His neck and shoulders were so huge my taxidermist had to ADD foam to the largest form he could purchase, yet he weighed 30 pounds less, dressed. Hanging, he was much shorter than the heavier deer. BTW: He was a 3-1/2-year-old, while the 236-pounder was 5-1/2+.

nateberly

Postby nateberly » Fri May 22, 2009 6:13 am

I have only been hunting for seven years, and my biggest buck that I recovered (that is a long story, maybe I'll start another thread) was a 135lb spike, who probably grossed a whopping 26 inches!
The does around here are big, two years ago I shot two at 140lbs. 100-110 is about average for non-yearlings. In north central MN

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri May 22, 2009 7:14 am

ORIGINAL: Spurred
BTW: He was a 3-1/2-year-old, while the 236-pounder was 5-1/2+.

Intreasting. My "bulldog" buck was 5.5-7.5 years old by tooth wear.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri May 22, 2009 10:28 am

My first kill was a doe (this year) and she dressed out at 130 on the hanging scale..she was definitely healthy.  Have not killed a buck yet so we'll see what happens this upcoming season.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun May 24, 2009 3:31 am

Deano, killing a 130 lb. doe is a heck of a start!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue May 26, 2009 6:46 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Deano, killing a 130 lb. doe is a heck of a start!

Yeah i just realized that out after reading everyones comments above, lol...guess i never realized it because I was so fixated on killing a nice buck.  I'm stocked for this upcoming season thugh, there is 10 point and a wide eight I have my sites set on, so keep your fingers crossed..but if I get another fat doe I'll be happy too [;)]

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue May 26, 2009 8:33 am

ORIGINAL: Dan Schmidt

"What did he weigh?" was often the first question asked of a successful hunter. This infatuation hasn't died completely. A buck's hog-dressed weight is still a badge of honor for hunters in the Northeast....

I really enjoyed reading that editorial, Dan. I remember my grandfather talking about how much a buck weighed, and I must say some of those old-timers here in these parts never actually put them on a scale -- and they had a knack for way overestimating the weight of a deer.

Up in Maine, it's different. They routinely weigh their deer. One famous Maine/Vermont hunter we'd all know by name told me a couple of months ago that "What did he weigh?" is another way of asking "How much food did you get?" It's a throwback to the time when a food supply was critical to a family making it through the winter. Hunters who care about the weight of the buck generally don't debate the culinary delicacy of a yearling versus an old buck -- they all taste good. (Nowadays many hunters have never tasted a truly old buck.)

You asked the question, "What is the heaviest buck you've ever killed?" Here in Pennsylvania I've killed a few that field-dressed between 140 and 150. That's not much in a lot of places, but here (especially with our half-century long habit of killing mostly 1½ year old bucks) that's nothing to scoff at, and not bad for a 3½ year old. Now that we're letting most of the young ones walk, more deer are getting mature and I expect to surpass my earlier weights.

In some ways, we've lost something when a deer's weight isn't as important as his antlers. But who knows? They say "What goes around comes around."

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Dan Schmidt

Postby Dan Schmidt » Tue May 26, 2009 8:51 am

What you have done in PA is quite an accomplishment, Steve. PA has got to be the most pressured deer hunting state in the nation. You have more than 1 million hunters and fewer acres of woods than we have in WI ... to kill a 150# deer there is like taking a 200#er here, I would say.

Best,

Dan

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features