Giant Whitetails!

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
DeerCamp

RE: Giant Whitetails!

Postby DeerCamp » Tue May 26, 2009 12:19 pm

my biggest buck feild dressed at 142lbs, he was a 9pt that im guessing was only 2 and a half
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

dixie deer hunter

Postby dixie deer hunter » Tue May 26, 2009 2:05 pm

Im still waiting on that first one. I dont care how much he weighs, he'll be a trophy none the less.
hunt ethically today, so you can hunt tomorrow

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue May 26, 2009 2:16 pm

My first buck weighed in around 140-150 pounds.
Scott

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Tue May 26, 2009 5:09 pm

My biggest buck to date is a 4.5 year old 9 point that weighed about 225 pounds.
Kyle

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue May 26, 2009 7:04 pm

I agree with that statement Dan.  I hear they are throwing around the idea in MN and WI about antler restrictions (min 4 pts to a side) like what they have in PA I believe.  What do you think about that?
QDM!

Dan Schmidt

Postby Dan Schmidt » Wed May 27, 2009 7:32 am

Buckhunter:
Anter-point restrictions are best used when implemented voluntarily by private landowners. States have used them with some success in limited areas, but no long-term, widespread benefit of such regulations has been realized. My suggestion is to manage what you can on private land and try to forge good relationships with your neighbors to do the same.

Best,
Dan

Dan Schmidt

Postby Dan Schmidt » Wed May 27, 2009 7:33 am

PS: Congrats to everyone who has checked in with their biggest buck reports. Thanks much, and keep them coming!

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Wed May 27, 2009 8:09 am

The first buck I ever shot had a "mutant" 5 point rack but did he ever have a massive body on him. I did not have a scale back then and wish so badly that I got him weighed because he was hands down the biggest buck I have shot.

This year I too shot a "bull dog" 8 point. He was very thick but not very long and dressed out at 140 lbs. He looked alot bigger standing than he did when I walked up to him.

What I have noticed through the years of having a scale, is how far off people are when they try to guess weight having never seen a deer, fish, ect on a scale. They always seem to over estimate and then look shocked when you put it on a scale.

My Uncle shot an 8 point 2 years ago which him and my cousin said would go 160lbs. Since I had been using a scale and been seeing deer on it I guess 120's and after weighing it the buck dressed 120lbs. They even went to as far as checking my scale to make sure it was accurate. (the water trick)

Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed May 27, 2009 5:10 pm

ORIGINAL: Dan Schmidt

Buckhunter:
Anter-point restrictions are best used when implemented voluntarily by private landowners. States have used them with some success in limited areas, but no long-term, widespread benefit of such regulations has been realized. My suggestion is to manage what you can on private land and try to forge good relationships with your neighbors to do the same.

Best,
Dan

Dan...That's a good point.  Does PA have it state-wide?  I guess I haven't done much research on it. 

As far as deer, my biggest buck came in at 170 field dressed.  He was a hog.  The rack was nice (nothing huge), but had the body of a cow!  Biggest doe I shot weighed in at 145.  That was the first year I hunted, and the first deer I shot.  I have a picture of it and her legs are touching the ground while hanging from a tree branch.  I was 12 at the time, but look like a midget up next to it.  I'll have to see about getting that picture scanned and maybe put on here. 
QDM!

rweyman

Postby rweyman » Thu May 28, 2009 3:33 am

My heaviest deer field dressed at 215# and I thought he was huge. I could not even amagine trying to drag out one that field dressed at 402!! My back hurts just thinking about it! But I would love to give it a try.

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features