What a GREAT TOPIC

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
John1961

What a GREAT TOPIC

Postby John1961 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:11 am

I got my new issue of D&DH today. The first story that caught my eye was " The Physics of Antler Growth". Last year I shot my Buck of a life time. A 12 point,wide spread, dark rack. MY BUCK OF A LIFE TIME so far. Any way I posted pictures in the photo section and the 2008 pic. tread. This buck was killed on the eastern shore of Maryland on a lease mainly of pine trees. Also killed on the same lease have been bucks with white antlers and one with white and brown antlers. I also killed a pie ball (also in the photo section). Are these the result of in breading like a lot of folks think or genes? Any guess or answers would be welcome .
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

Demoderby4

RE: What a GREAT TOPIC

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:26 am

Hopefully my copy is waiting for me at home when i get back tonight!! But, I think genetics would have at least a little bit of influence on what color a deer's antlers end up being. On a thread a while back i started on this topic (if you want the link to the thread i can get it, i think it was on the "general discussions thread") but, these guys and gals came up with ideas like... if a deer was out in sunlight alot; that would end up bleaching the antlers. Genetics, and also what types of trees they rub on i.e. getting sap and or bark imbedded in the antlers making them darker.

I really don't know what is the main contributor, maybe what they eat has something to do with it too? Habitat might have a lot to do with it as well? I'm really not sure, but it interests me too! Hope this helped at least a little
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

John1961

Postby John1961 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:04 am

Thanks Matt. I wonder if deer are like bass, The deeper they are the lighter there skin. Or so I've heard.
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:15 am

I do not have a definite answer for you but I think it's how much sun they get and what kind of tree's they rub.
When I worked on the deer farm the deer with no trees in them or not many trees carried almost bleach white antlers.
The deer with trees to rub and shade had darker racks.
I really believe most of it is from the tree's they rub...

The piebald thing is by breeding from what I have read, it is so rare because both of the parents have to have a certain gene...

Got mine in the mail today as well...put a smile on my face!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:52 am

No problem John1961, i love trying to help lol [:D] I'm not sure, could be. I don't know much about fish, but I think i have heard that too. Well I hope I have mine at home Goose got his too lol [:D]
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:38 pm

jeeze, you guys are just teasing me! first everyone gets their DVD in the mail yesterday, now you all got another issue today. its killin me[:(]  some day they will come...I JUST HOPE SOON!
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:01 pm

Well looks like I was wrong in my earlier post. After reading the article it seems that genes have an effect on antler color as well.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

jessielee1

Postby jessielee1 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:52 pm

I 've just started reading deer and deer hunting .I'am very disapointed in it .I have the june issue,and the cover says "find more sheds ! expert tips on where to look".I read the whole article and it never once mentions where to look.And the article about The Physics of antler growth why are some racks dark and others are light? Here are the answers to those questions it states at the beginning of the article. Again not a single answer. Just speculations.No facts just fill in garbage.I bought this mag thinking maybe i could learn somthing! I'am 31 years old and been hunting for 15 years and I could make up more interesting garbage than this.I will never spend my very hard earned money on this magazine again.Maybe its the writers but someone had to make the decision to print it.I just dont buy it!I want answers!

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:17 pm

jessielee1:  Your entitled to your own opinion about the magazine.  I feel it provides great knowledge to the hunter and how you can try and trick whitetails to get within shooting range of them.  There are some articles that I disagree with as well but for the most part the magazine seems to give good knowledge.
Scott

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:42 pm

ORIGINAL: jessielee1

I 've just started reading deer and deer hunting .I'am very disapointed in it .I have the june issue,and the cover says "find more sheds ! expert tips on where to look".... I just dont buy it!I want answers!

Welcome to the forum, Jessie. I hope you'll stay with D&DH for a while an give it more of a chance -- why not try a year's subscription? I won't argue whether or not the cover teasers promise more than they deliver -- because I don't think you'll find magazine that doesn't do that sometimes. If you can get past the teasers, I think you'll find a very worthwhile reading, and you'll learn a lot. I've been hunting for more than 45 years, and I learn something from every issue.

If you think you can write, why not stick around here and hone your writing skills? I hope you do stick around. I look forward to your contributions. Best wishes to you.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features