Out of the Dog House

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Robert Rowland

Out of the Dog House

Postby Robert Rowland » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:13 pm

I think the Rev. Zeke wrote something that an awful lot of us can use, I know I can. And his advise can be used for more than just hunting.
Thanks Rev.

mag30079

RE: Out of the Dog House

Postby mag30079 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:41 am

This was a great article, I go through this like many of you every year. Time away, money spent and deer books and magazines everywhere. Some days the word "DEER" is a 4-letter word in our home.

Good stuff
The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind. "Fred Bear"

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:27 am

This is A GREAT ARTICAL!! I am currently single, however when I had a gf I noticed the things he talked about in the artical were true.. I really liked the part when he sat down with his wife and they picked out days he could hunt and days they could do stuff together.This is not only great time spent together, but it gets the female some what involved into hunting. I will deff be using this artical in the future!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:40 am

I agree, great article.  I never thought about the approach of planning the hunt in advance and how my wife would see the effort I put into hunting as a reflection on her.  I will definitely take a different approach now.

I do have her convinced to come and sit in a blind with me, no weapons just being out there.  It's a start, just to have her understand what we love so much will be worth it.
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:43 am

I echo what you guys have said.  This is a terrific article.

I've kind of established my hunting schedule every year (since I hunt on my in-laws farm 3 hours away).   It works great since when I hunt, the whole family comes along and spends time with grandma and grandpa.  I'm usually back for lunch and then dinner.

I took my wife with me twice last year and we had nice encounters with deer both times (I missed a 35 yard shot at a doe, and had a nice 8pt in range another time....no shot).

My wife told me she wants to bowhunt this coming year, so that is just awesome!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:35 pm

Yep, great stuff.

I just used his idea about sitting down with a calender and your spouse to plan the upcoming turkey season. I must admit that it was a little rocky when we first started b/c the days we wanted all fell together. But I am glad we did it now and not the day before the season opened. In the end we worked out a pretty good game plan.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:05 pm

Like most issues in life....it's all about setting expectations.  Problems arise when expectations are not met (whether it's the hunter or the spouse).
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Woody

Postby Woody » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:21 pm

Great Article..
I agree with the rest of you fellows. Time with the family and the wife are important especially during the hunting season. Even if it amounts to  only a couple nights a week, wether it be "game night" or watching a movie. Its amazing how that carries during a long hunting season. 
I do have to say I have a great wife though!![;)]
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:36 am

Now, as much as we loved the article, lets be honest.

Have you ever committed to a night with your wife and when it arrived it was 35 degrees, with high pressure and a perfect wind? You know, that kind of evening that just feels like deer hunting. Did you spend the night antsy and wondering what you were missing?

I have. I am not proud of it, but I have.

stumpsitter66

Postby stumpsitter66 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:51 am

What did I miss? Which issue is this article in?

Stump

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features