Out of the Dog House

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
JPH

RE: Out of the Dog House

Postby JPH » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:59 am

June issue, right in the front.

Go check your mailbox!

stumpsitter66

Postby stumpsitter66 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:32 am

Thanks JPH. Mine must be on the slow boat. Or maybe the Postmaster hasn't finished reading it yet!
[:D]

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:50 am

ORIGINAL: stumpsitter66

Thanks JPH. Mine must be on the slow boat. Or maybe the Postmaster hasn't finished reading it yet!
[:D]

I wonder how often that happens! I'm sure it does. The P.O. probably also ends up with magazines that are undeliverable and unforwarded. It's probably illegal for postal workers to take them home, but I wouldn't be surprised if magazines get "borrowed" in the stall now and then!

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:04 am

you know I really liked this article.  We had a baby june of last year and this season was the first where my wife and I really struggled with hunting/personal time.  I read this article and thought it was the "Best" idea I've seen in a long time.  It is also very refreshing to hear you guys had the same thoughts.  I mentioned this new strategy to a couple of the guys I hunt with and you could imagine the greif that I recieved about "who wears the pants" and "hey, you sure you don't have to call to get permission to go to the range."  To me, my wife and family comes first and hunting second.  My biggest problem was figuring out how to get my wife to understand that.  Like JPH, I've committed to date nights and physically i was there but mentally I was 25 feet up in a tree waiting for something to walk by. 

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:39 am

ORIGINAL: kribbz
It is also very refreshing to hear you guys had the same thoughts.  I mentioned this new strategy to a couple of the guys I hunt with and you could imagine the greif that I recieved about "who wears the pants" and "hey, you sure you don't have to call to get permission to go to the range." 

I don't mean to get all "preachy" but you are right to ignore them. Good for you!

Trust me, as good as those friends are, they will not lie beside you and hold you as you fight the really tough battles in life.

I have been on both sides of that, and while I still struggle to be the man I am called to be, I have learned who my real partner is. Along the way, I have begun to redefine what my idea of real man is too.

MHHC S. IL

Postby MHHC S. IL » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:08 am

The women gotta understand they get february, march, may, june, july, august, and september.  Most of our hunting is done october, november, december, january, and april.  So they get seven months, we get five...sounds pretty fair to me.  Although I'm not married, this theory has cost me girlfriends, but thats how I weed them out until I find a good one that accepts it!
LIVE AT FULL DRAW

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:54 am

I agree it was a very good article. But, having said that, I think you could be planning yourselves out of some of the best hunting days of the season. The weather man certainly isn't always going play fair with our planned days to hunt. Are you putting a bad weather clause into your hunting schedule? 

I guess the fact that I never hunted nearly as often as I'd like to, hunting hasn't caused any friction between me & my understanding wife.
Dave M.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:59 am

ORIGINAL: Bowtechian

Are you putting a bad weather clause into your hunting schedule? 

No, a deal's a deal. The weather is up to someone else.

Another thing I have done with some success during deer season is to ask my wife if she would prefer morning or evening hunts. Some days she likes to have me home to help get things going in the morning. Other times she wants me home in the evening so she can go to the gym or whatever.

Some days I have to roll out of bed when I would prefer to sleep in and hunt the evening, but again, a deal's a deal.

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:00 am

We haven't sat down yet and worked everything out yet but I'm sure weather will come up.  She knows enough about hunting to know that there are days that are better than others.  Like the article says, if you get an extra day, you should make sure you find an extra day for your spouse. 

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:37 am

ORIGINAL: MHHC S. IL

The women gotta understand they get february, march, may, june, july, august, and september.  Most of our hunting is done october, november, december, january, and april.  So they get seven months, we get five...sounds pretty fair to me.  Although I'm not married, this theory has cost me girlfriends, but thats how I weed them out until I find a good one that accepts it!

I mean no offense but wanted to use your wording as an example of a good friend of mine.  He feels the same way you do and I get a lot of crap from him because I firmly believe in family first.  My retort to him, as you have mentioned, when you're divorced and paying child support, don't come crying to me. 

No reference anymore, just me speaking here.  I truly believe a lot of men and woman for that matter enter marriage without excepting the fact that comprises will be made.  My wife and I are a team, we made a decision to get married and have kids.  We then made the decision to keep her at home with the kids no matter what the cost.  I will give up hunting before I ruin my marriage and relationship with my kids.  I know of 4 couples my same age getting divorced because the guys (in this case) would not give up the recreation of hunting, fishing, and drinking.  I really don't understand it....  Anyway, that's my take, we're actually meeting with a high school confirmation class tonight (4/1) to discuss what makes a strong marriage. 

I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in putting family first, I was really starting to get worried.  Don't get me wrong, I still get scolled for daydreaming when she's talking to me. i.e. Up in a stand somewhere....
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features