Game Warden Article

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
ranwin33

Game Warden Article

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:23 am

Just wondering what everyone's experience has been with game wardens. 

In my part of Missouri I can say in seven years of hunting I have yet to see one, or even his vehicle on the roads.  My PLC told me not to expect to see him as 1) his area is so large, and 2) he's on his way to retirement and not all that interested in finding law breakers.  A little bit different than my experience in Kansas where it seemed like everytime I was hunting or fishing I'd run into one.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

speakerboxx

RE: Game Warden Article

Postby speakerboxx » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:02 am

I've never seen one in the woods or at a check-in station, but they're pretty common when I go fishing. I can't say I've ever had a bad encounter with one, usually their just doing their job. Being in law enforcement I know what it's like to be on everyone's s*** list. I just try to give em a break and get through the encounter quickly to get back to fishin.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:49 am

IN all my years of hunting and fishing and dog training on state land i have only ran into 2 of them. The first was quite a few years back when fishing. He stopped and checked my license and went on his way. 

The 2nd was when i was training my lab on state land. He came walking way back into the area i was training and the first thought that went through my head was "dang arent i supposed to be back here?"  He said he had been having a hard time with kids playing paintball back there and he thought my vehicle was them.

These guys have a super tough job, and are spread way to thin around here. Some wardens have 2 entire counties all to themselves, roughly 3000sq miles to cover. 

When you look at the big picture its amazing they ever catch anyone for as overworked as they are, not to mention underpaid....
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:33 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

Just wondering what everyone's experience has been with game wardens. 

In my part of Missouri I can say in seven years of hunting I have yet to see one, or even his vehicle on the roads.  My PLC told me not to expect to see him as 1) his area is so large, and 2) he's on his way to retirement and not all that interested in finding law breakers.  A little bit different than my experience in Kansas where it seemed like everytime I was hunting or fishing I'd run into one.

I have spoken to him by phone several times. He knows exactly where my place is and has stopped by to visit the neighboring camp when I have not been around. But I have never actually see him.

He's easy to talk to and will return calls if you miss him. As far as how aggressive he is, I can't say. Obviously, I'd like to see us get a young hard charger out to make a name for himself when our guys does retire.

trophyhunter1980

Postby trophyhunter1980 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:35 am

I have never had an encounter with the DNR while in the field or while fishing. I have seen them drive by before but never stop. I am in law enforcement so I do see them at the department on occassion. As long as you are legal you should have nothing to worry about. They are just doing thier job and making contacts, and truth be known probably enjoy talking to you about what you have been seeing and or catching.

As it was said before they do have a very difficult job, and unfortuanley they are spread way too thin to put a big dent into the poaching problems I am sure we all have. Something you also have to remember if you think they are being rude is that 90% of the people they are dealing with are carrying a weapon.
www.facebook.com/badappleoutdoors

NRA LIFE MEMBER

WHITETAILS UNLIMITED LIFE MEMBER

NORTH AMERICAN HUNTING CLUB LIFE MEMBER

FlDeerman

Postby FlDeerman » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:28 am

I've never had a problem with them and found them great for information.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:50 am

ORIGINAL: trophyhunter1980

Something you also have to remember if you think they are being rude is that 90% of the people they are dealing with are carrying a weapon.

Also they never know who they are dealing with when approaching, If they walk up to you like the tooth fairy some people would walk all over them. They certainly have every right to approach each person like THEY are the ones in charge.

I know both my local wardens and they usually can call me by first name, Not always if it has been a long time since i have spoken to them. I think of them more as a friend than a threat.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:45 pm

deal with them at least once a year.where i bird hunt it s pretty controlled and patrolled you can stopped a few times a day by different guys.they patrol a few other spots i hunt and stop to talk"did ya get anything?see anything?hear any shots?etc"i BS with them.always treat me with respect and i them.they often have good tips on spots.i figure it 's a good idea to be friendly with them[:)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:58 am

I started hunting in 1965 . I have only come across a DEC officer twice since then . The 1st time was in 1966 , the 2nd day of deer hunting . I was sitting in the car finishing my coffee when a vehicle pulled up behind me . A tap on the window and I opened it up . A DEC officer asked if I was there to hunt and if I had been there the previous day . He said there had been some early shooting . I said it wasn't me and he could check my shotgun if he wished . He asked if it was in the car and I told him it was laying on the back seat , unloaded with the slide open and he could check it out if he wished . He shined the light back there and said " have a nice day and be safe" . No problemo !

The 2nd time was two years ago when we were vacationing near the Catskills . I was fishing in the Deleware River and a DEC Officer came over to check out my license . No problem .

Semper Fi !

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:01 pm

I did not see a game warden until 2004. That was well after my 20th season in the woods.  Pat put the sneak on #2 son and I while we were out turkey hunting.  He was a nice, friendly guy, but he managed to get all the questions in (licenses, tags, birds taken, etc.).  I like Pat, and I still think of him as a friend. I am also on good terms with the new CO. He dropped by the house during season and asked how things are going.  James knows he is welcome to take whatever he can off my place, so long as he leaves me the ears.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features