Game Warden Article

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Youngpup

RE: Game Warden Article

Postby Youngpup » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:41 am

http://dnr.state.il.us/Law3/outfitter/OutfitterListingWeb.pdf On page 32, It looks like the warden in the article opened up a competeing outfitting operation in his wifes name within like 2 weeks of leaving the DNR

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:23 am

just talked w CPO in dekalb county yesterday,small talk,but we see them almost daily at state park we hunt.tough job,i wouldnt wanna b working the woods w some of the dingle dorfs i've seen out there!scary--

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:41 am

ORIGINAL: Youngpup

http://dnr.state.il.us/Law3/outfitter/OutfitterListingWeb.pdf On page 32, It looks like the warden in the article opened up a competeing outfitting operation in his wifes name within like 2 weeks of leaving the DNR
wouldnt that be something.I hope he gets no buisness
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

passin through

Postby passin through » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:16 pm

Never personally run into one while hunting.  We did have one loop through our area Saturday but that was expected.  A) It was opening day of dog season and they all kinda check out the different clubs that run hounds.....No problems with us I am happy to report.  B) We asked the CO of the local district office to step up patrols in our area to help catch a poacher.  Better them catch the guy than us.  These are great guys ...we invited the fellow Saturday to swing by the main camp and eat chili with us but he politely declined.  They have a big area of responsibility and are undermanned and underpaid.  I have all the respect in the world for them.

ne_hunter

Postby ne_hunter » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:33 pm

Here in Nebraska where we check our deer in for rifle season there are usually two wardens there the first weekend checking in deer, but after that it is just the receptionist at the court house doing it. The only other warden that i know is a good guy, and he is good friends of mine and my buddies. He actually goes out and sits in one of my buddies drive way and looks for spot lighters hunting off the road.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:10 am

I have never encountered one in MI or FL while hunting. I don't think I have even seen a truck.

I have been checked one time at the boat ramp, but it was a SO not a game warden. Strange.

That was it.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:12 am

In 31 years of hunting I can count on one hand the number of times I've encountered a warden (fishing or hunting) and I'd still have a finger or two left to pick my nose!  All I've encountered were polite and professional.
Course, I dont break the law, so maybe I'd have a different impression otherwise!  I've talked to more wardens at seminars and outdoor shows than I've run into in the woods, and they are, to a man, courteous and informative.  They are spread pretty thin in Pennsylvania (even counting the unpaid deputies), so you chances of running into one isn't great.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:13 pm

anyone have any idea on what their wardens make? Ours start at 16 something a hr up to 20 something an hr.

not much compensation for the work they do.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:40 am

I saw one once in the field.  He was professional and was just checking licenses.  But more recently, I worked with a couple of them helping to teach hunter safety classes.  It was a good experience.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:47 am

The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), based on May, 2005 estimates, report that the mean annual wage for a fish and game warden is $43,360. There are many opportunities for advancement including, detective, sergeant, lieutenant, captain, deputy chief, and chief.

The BLS also reports that the states with the highest concentration of fish and game wardens are Wyoming, South Dakota, Maine, Idaho and West Virginia. The states that pay the highest fish and game warden salaries are California ($56,640), Michigan($53,140), Minnesota($52,470), Nevada($51,990) and Colorado($51,800). These salaries reflect the annual mean wage.

Not sure what they make in Missouri to start, I think the mid-$30's.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features