Game Warden Article

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
PrairieShadow

RE: Game Warden Article

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:22 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), based on May, 2005 estimates, report that the mean annual wage for a fish and game warden is $43,360. There are many opportunities for advancement including, detective, sergeant, lieutenant, captain, deputy chief, and chief.

The BLS also reports that the states with the highest concentration of fish and game wardens are Wyoming, South Dakota, Maine, Idaho and West Virginia. The states that pay the highest fish and game warden salaries are California ($56,640), Michigan($53,140), Minnesota($52,470), Nevada($51,990) and Colorado($51,800). These salaries reflect the annual mean wage.

Not sure what they make in Missouri to start, I think the mid-$30's.

WOW!! SD has one of the highest concentrations of wardens??? That # must be found by population not by amount of land patrolled.

Interesting post Ran!

Thanks
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Up North

Postby Up North » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:43 pm

I see our local CO's (wardens) often, and work with them on many projects.  These guys (and gals) have an impossibly tough job.  In addition to their public dealings with sportsman in the field, there are political issues and internal Department priorities that also affect how they do their job.  In almost 20 years of working in state conservation departments, I have never met a warden that would not give their all to carry out their mission.

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:11 pm

A couple of years ago I was taking one of my daughters for a leisurly ride on the 4 wheeler just on gravel roads around the area. We pulled into a conservation river access and got off to talk to some guys fishing and two female Conservation Officers came out of nowhere and began grilling me over driving in the river on the sandbars. I was parked on the concrete and by no means in the river. One of the women stopped the other from getting too riled up and apolagized and said she knew I was not the guy they were looking for. They did inform me that it was illegal to drive the 4 wheeler on public roads but did not give me a ticket.
This past deer season I had shot a deer only to find the meat was bad. I called the Conservation Dept and they sent an officer out to inspect. She was very professional and ended up calling into her office to arrange it so I could get a replacement tag.
I guess the only complaint I have had with them is they are never there when I see someone who desparatly needs a ticket.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:54 am

ORIGINAL: Robert Rowland

A couple of years ago I was taking one of my daughters for a leisurly ride on the 4 wheeler just on gravel roads around the area. We pulled into a conservation river access and got off to talk to some guys fishing and two female Conservation Officers came out of nowhere and began grilling me over driving in the river on the sandbars. I was parked on the concrete and by no means in the river. One of the women stopped the other from getting too riled up and apolagized and said she knew I was not the guy they were looking for. They did inform me that it was illegal to drive the 4 wheeler on public roads but did not give me a ticket.
This past deer season I had shot a deer only to find the meat was bad. I called the Conservation Dept and they sent an officer out to inspect. She was very professional and ended up calling into her office to arrange it so I could get a replacement tag.
I guess the only complaint I have had with them is they are never there when I see someone who desparatly needs a ticket.

I'm not sure I understand your state laws.  Your telling me you can shoot a deer, track it and if you find it with spoiled meat you can call your CO and they come out, determine if the meat is bad and if it is issue another tag (replacement).  That sounds weird to me, but then again, I don't hunt in Missouri.  Do I not comprehend what your saying?  Just asking and curious.
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

wisbooner3932

Postby wisbooner3932 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:23 am

Just ran into my first warden last weekend while fishing actually.  It was no surprise though seeing as how the Wisconsin River has a rediculous amount of fisherman on it in the spring.  He asked to see my lisence which I said "sure no problem" but when I looked in my wallet it wasn't in there (I honeslty dont know where it went).  I told him I had lost it and he asked for my social security number so he could call someone to check it out.  The person on the phone confirmed that I had indeed purchased one so no citation was issued.  He seemed very friendly and understanding.
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:09 pm

I hunt in Pike County Illinois. Ive seen the C.P.O. more than a few times. During November I probably see them go down my road every other day. If I drive to town I see them almost daily. I was cited by Steve Drone maybe 10 or 12 years ago. I got my citation and Steve and his partner were gone. Later on, I had someone steal a few stands from me and Steve was right there trying to catch the thief. He takes his job serious, and is a true professional. If you ever think about doing something questionable in Pike County... DON'T !!!

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:18 am

A few years ago my brother and I were fishing with a friend on Lake Nippising in Ontario Canada. I have to mention at this point that my brother rarely caries a wallet, but did have one on this trip to Canada....I have no explanation for my brother's distain for wallets, but it's important to my story. After casting for northerns for a few hours, we noticed a warden's boat approaching us. He introduced himself, made a little small talk then asked to see our fishing licenses. At this point my brother realized that he forgotten his rarely carried wallet at the cabin. The warden then asked to see mine. I reached into my pocket and realized that I had picked up my brother's wallet rather than mine this morning. As I explained this to him, he took a deep breath and asked me for my ID...obviously I didn't have that either. Here we were, three guys in another country standing on very thin ice. I figured the cuffs were coming out soon. The guy must have figured that nobody would come up with a story like that unless it was true. He told us we could finish fishing today, but everybody should bring there own wallets the next time. He gave me 48 hours after we got back to Ohio to fax a copy of my fishing license to him. Whew.... I'm sure he tells that story to his buddies as often as we do.
(I've been away, but missed all you guys)
Dennis
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:30 am

Wallet's cause back-aches. The fatter the wallet the more likely you'll end up with a bad back, i.e. you sit down and you are leaning like the "Tower of Pisa"

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:58 am

I think that was a Seinfeld episode dealing with George's huge wallet. I'll advise my brother.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:55 pm

Hi Dennis,
Nice to see you back on the forum.
That's a great story!! I'm sure the warden was able to tell that you were sincere. It's my belief that law enforcement officials deal with enough shady characters from day to day to know when someone is lying or not.
"This is the world we are born into -- we should never let that slip away from us. May it never cease to stimulate, inspire and humble us." from Stalking & Still-Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible by G. Fred Asbell

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features