Adding blood to deer scents?

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
fr0sty

Adding blood to deer scents?

Postby fr0sty » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:41 am

I don't have the latest d&dh issue in front of me, but one of the articles mentioned adding blood to your doe scents to make them work better.  I was slightly shocked at this suggestion.

It's my understanding that deer do not shed their uterine lining during their reproductive cycle and that they instead absorb it.  The blood associated with human menstruation occurs after the female is no longer fertile.    It seems like adding blood to deer scents is a possible case of anthropomorphizing deer breeding.   I don't see why blood would have any positive effect on deer scents, since a deer's reproductive cycle doesn't doesn't involve menstruation and that in humans,  menstrual blood is an indicator that fertility for that cycle has passed.

Does anyone have any experience adding blood to deer scents?  If it in fact does work, is there any research or evidence on why it works?    

scottflesher

RE: Adding blood to deer scents?

Postby scottflesher » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:13 pm

frosty, in all my years hunting, i've never heard of that strategy. I'll need to go grab my latest edition of D&DH to see if I can find that article.

If does did menstruate, it sure would make traking one you shot at more difficult.

fr0sty

RE: Adding blood to deer scents?

Postby fr0sty » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:43 pm

Ok, just got home and found my magazine.  The article starts on page 78 and is called 5 Elite Buck Ploys.  Ploy #5 is "Over the top do in heat lure".  That's the one I was referring to.

Sounds dubious to me.

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features