END OF OCT OR BEGINNING NOV

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Bern

END OF OCT OR BEGINNING NOV

Postby Bern » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:17 am

I`m fortunate to have land in se ohio and have been hunting there for the past 4 years since i bought the property, Most of my time has been spent hunting nov5 thru the 12th. I have done very well during this period, However many times i have seen the biggest bucks on trail cams end of october or seeking the hillsides just as iam arriving.Dont get me wrong the action has been great but it seems that the biggest bucks are paired up alrady buy nov 5th. considering changing my schedule.has anyone else recognized this.I know what the magazines write about but i`m witnessing something different.
Bern

hookset6969

RE: END OF OCT OR BEGINNING NOV

Postby hookset6969 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:05 am

I'm also switching to the last week of OCT and I'm in west central WI, The action seems to be much better as far as the bigger deer go.

motorbreaker

Postby motorbreaker » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:18 am

For me last year it was Nov.6 thru Nov. 18. That is when I seen and
got trail cam pics of the bigger bucks.
I havent put in for my days off yet, I was thinking the 15th thru the 20th
of November. The whole mounth would be nice. Jake

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:59 am

For some odd reason I've had the most deer sightings early to mid October.  The 'October lull' if you believe in it has hit me just about every year late October...November comes and it heats up again but just for some weird reason that Oct 1-15th timeframe seems to be really good for me. 
QDM!

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:20 am

Deer may still be in their summer/feeding patterns in late October and "easier" to hunt, but there's just something about a cool November morning and anticipating chasing and grunting. I've shot a couple deer early in the season (october) and not had the opportunity to buck hunt in November (ohio you can only harvest one buck, regardless of weapon, season, etc) and it just wasn't the same. Just my opinion.

Jeffhoyt82886

Postby Jeffhoyt82886 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:02 am

I hunt in Maryland and I feel that I have scene/killed most of my big bucks at the very end of october/beginning of november. Halloween is a great day to be in the woods. Last year most of my hunting buddies (including me) killed our bucks during the first week of November. We also have an early muzzleloader season here in maryland which usually fall in the third week of october which also has produced some very nice bucks on my farm including a 160's 12 point.  It also depends on weather (temperature, rain/sun) and the moon phase, although i think weather is more important during the rut then moon phase, but some may disagree. Also, I read in a magazine the other day that cool, cloudy mornings are the best days to try and call in a buck. Either way, take all these factors into considerations when deciding when to take your "vacation". 

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:11 pm

When I hunted in Illinois I noticed much more movement between 6-18 November. If the temperature is low of course.
If you can find it you can kill it.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:42 pm

I hunt in Southwestern Wisconsin and I have noticed the last week of October and first couple days of November seem to be the best for me and our trail cameras.  I always see more big mature bucks the last weekend of October then I do any other time of the year.  I think its because this is when the first does start to come into estrus and the big boys know that.  The trail cameras also always show this time of the year big boys moving during daylight hours.  
Scott

CONLEY14

Postby CONLEY14 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:35 pm

I LIVE IN SOUTHWEST OHIO AND LAST YEAR I KILLED MY BUCK ON NOV.1ST, MY BUDDY KILLED HIS BUCK ON NOV. 13TH AND NOV.12TH WAS THE BEST DAY PERIOD FOR SEEING RUTTING BUCKS, THEY WERE ALL OVER THE PLACE CHASING DOES, SO LAST YEAR THE FIRST TWO WEEKS OF NOV. WAS DEFINITLY THE BEST BUT IF I REMEMBER RIGHT THE YEAR BEFORE THE BEST TIME WAS LIKE FROM THE 14TH THROUGH THE 25TH, SO I BELIEVE EVERY YEAR IS DIFFERENT, ALL I KNOW IS JUST BE IN THE WOODS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE FROM THE LAST WEEK OF OCT. ALL THE WAY TILL THE OHIO GUN SEASON STARTS AND THAT WAY YOU WILL BE SURE NOT TO MISS THE BEST DAYS. 

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:20 am

I'm just gonna try and hunt as much as I can. On the rare occasions that I've been out and the deer are "going crazy", that was usually early to mid November, but this year, I'm gonna take vacation in late October to see if I've been missing anything.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features