How would you score it?

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
scottflesher

RE: How would you score it?

Postby scottflesher » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:46 pm

ORIGINAL: bowman12

"Nets are for fish, not bucks!"

Love that quote

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:42 am

ORIGINAL: Marc Anthony
You said "so let's say a buck gross scores 150" (gross score includes all points with no deductions right?)" No, that is NOT right. The gross typical score is the sum of all TYPICAL points and none of the non-typical points. The non-typical points, along with side-to-side differences ALL go toward the deductions! Too many people add the non-typical points to the gross score which is WRONG.

Your example would be a 140" typical GROSS MINUS 10" of non-typical points for a NET score of 130" IF each side is perfectly the same in dimensions. If not, (which always happens to be the case) those differences are ALSO added to the DEDUCTIONS. So, he would be a 130" typical and a 150" non-typical IF both sides were exactly the same. The non-typical points are added AFTER side-to-side differences are deducted! In your example, both sides are perfect. In a real case scenario, lets say you would have a difference of 3" from side-to-side, so it would be 140" -3" for a total of 137" typical net score or a non-typical score of 147" because of the 137" net typical score score + the 10" of non-typical score.

Remember, it MUST be scored as a NET typical FIRST before you can add any non-typical points!

Simple, isn't it! :-)

thanks, yea seems more complicated than it needs to be or perhaps it doesn't help to be ignorant on the subject.

Ok... so I feel a bit confused still, how does my example of a deer with 0 side to side difference(I know this doesn't happen in real life) score less than your example of a buck with -3" side to side?
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:12 am

"Ok... so I feel a bit confused still, how does my example of a deer with 0 side to side difference(I know this doesn't happen in real life) score less than your example of a buck with -3" side to side?"

It doesn't. That 150 score you mentioned doesn't exist because you stated Gross TYPICAL score WITH the NT points. You can't have a typical score WITH the NT points added. They have to be subtracted. Let me do this all over for you.

140" deer with 10" of NT points = 130" typical or 150" Non-typical. To get a NT score, you MUST score it as a NET typical before you can add the NT points. My example would be 140" - 3" of side to side differences = 137" - 10" as a typical would be 127" or as a NT would be 147".

I just realized I made a typo in my last post. Now I see what you are referring to! Sorry about that. Disregard that old score in my last post. I should have subtracted that 10" of NT points but added them instead. I think you get my point now (no pun intended)! :-)

To sum it up:

For a typical, subtract side to side differences & NT points to get the NET Typical. For a non typical, score it as a NET Typical first by subtracting side to side differences but instead of subtracting the NT points, add them for the NET NON TYPICAL score.
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:12 pm

ok, figured it might be a typo. everything makes much more sense now.

thanks for taking the time, I'm sure others will find your explanation useful as well.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:16 pm

Glad to help!
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

welltar

Postby welltar » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:37 am

[:)]I agreed
The best professional Hunting Camera Supplier!
Hunting Camera info-http://www.welltar.com

BruceBruce1959

Postby BruceBruce1959 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:15 am

If an animal is "found dead" trophy or not, it should not be considered for "trophy record scoring status" by B&C or P&Y (Dead Pickups) do not meet club requirements under Fair chase Guidelines.

however, pickups and unknown invited trophies, are eligible but only for Certificate of Merit.

Good Day

dewde

Postby dewde » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:59 am

agreed, not sure why it was scored as non-typical
Love Quotes
Famous Love Quotes and Sayings

Previous

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features