How would you score it?

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
charlie 01

How would you score it?

Postby charlie 01 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:07 pm

I'm refering to that new Mich. state record deer found dead. If you had found it and owned it, would you have had it scored non-typical or typical? Would you want to have a state record deer or the best scoring typical of all the states. According to the Commemorative Bucks of Michigan's score sheet, the non-typical score is 247 6/8. The typical score would be 212 3/8. I do not know about C.B.M.'s rules, but with Boone & Crockett, (these days ) you can have it scored either way you want ( I'm told ). The all time biggest scoring typical is the Milo Hansen buck out of Canada at 213 5/8. The state side largest is the Mel Johnson buck from Ill. at 204 4/8. Which way would you go? Myself, I would have gone typical. When you look at the rack, it looks more typical with some stickers. I'm just curious as to what others think.   
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

bowman12

RE: How would you score it?

Postby bowman12 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:57 am

Typical. It's an awesome buck and scored either way it's still awesome, but if I'm looking right he's a mainframe 6x6 with some junk.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:57 am

agreed, not sure why it was scored as non-typical

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:27 pm

ORIGINAL: scottflesher

agreed, not sure why it was scored as non-typical

Not sure, but I think anything with non-typical points can be scored as a non-typical. Too many of non-typical points drag the net typical down considerably. Not enough of non-typical points and they don't give a good rack enough of a boost to make B&C. I think it's the owner's choice to have a rack scored typical or non-typical.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:34 pm

It's not as easy as it sounds. Those non typical points now become deductions, which could bring the score down to the mid 170's or lower! You can opt which way to have it scored but the B&C allows you to take the highest of the two. If the deer scored 212 as a typical and then added the non typical points to become 247 as a non typical, that 212 would be minus those non typical points bringing it WAAAAAYY down as a typical. :-)
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:26 pm

ORIGINAL: Marc Anthony

It's not as easy as it sounds. Those non typical points now become deductions, which could bring the score down to the mid 170's or lower! You can opt which way to have it scored but the B&C allows you to take the highest of the two. If the deer scored 212 as a typical and then added the non typical points to become 247 as a non typical, that 212 would be minus those non typical points bringing it WAAAAAYY down as a typical. :-)

Isn't that what I said? If not, that's what I tried to say. [:)] By giving numbers, you made it clearer. I once said the same thing to an official scorer, who said nothing but shook his head at me.

I would guess that for most bucks, it's clear once it's scored both ways, which one will be most advantageous.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:41 pm

I understood what you said Steve! I was just giving an example to everyone :-)

Scoring is misunderstood by about 80% of the hunters who try to use the B&C system. It can be difficult to comprehend for some.
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:13 pm

Thanks. I was starting to second guess myself. You know a lot more about it than I do, and giving some numbers definitely makes it clearer.

Steve

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:28 pm

Gentelmen, some how you are missimformed about the scoring. Weather it is scored by Boone & Crockett, Pope & Young, or whatever system, it is first scored as a typical with side to side deductions. That score of 212 3/8 will not change as a typical score. The deductions are all done. You do not get to count the abnormals. Now, if you want to go non-typical, you just add all abnomal points. That is where the 247 6/8 comes in. That 212 3/8 Is a final typical score, and would be the biggest typical in the U.S.A., if they would have scored it as such. I just wonderd how some of you would have gone with it. Would you have prefered to have the biggest non-typical in Mich., or the biggest in the U.S.A.   
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:05 am

ORIGINAL: charlie 01

Gentelmen, some how you are missimformed about the scoring. Weather it is scored by Boone & Crockett, Pope & Young, or whatever system, it is first scored as a typical with side to side deductions. That score of 212 3/8 will not change as a typical score. The deductions are all done. You do not get to count the abnormals. Now, if you want to go non-typical, you just add all abnomal points. That is where the 247 6/8 comes in. That 212 3/8 Is a final typical score, and would be the biggest typical in the U.S.A., if they would have scored it as such. I just wonderd how some of you would have gone with it. Would you have prefered to have the biggest non-typical in Mich., or the biggest in the U.S.A.   

Sorry, charlie, not true. You are correct about deducting side to side differences but if you choose to have it scored as a typical, ALL of those non typical points become deductions! Look at column "E" on the scoring sheet!

Look at it this way, do you think all of those abnormal points would just sit on that rack without being credited? Of course not. Every point has a score and is added to the sheet either as a non typical point, a typical point or as a deduction.

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features