Article "View to a Kill"

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
derrickoh01

Article "View to a Kill"

Postby derrickoh01 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:07 am

I hope I am not being to sensitive, but the author says he thought about getting down from his stand and doing what to me would have been the right thing and to put the doe out of its missery. But he didnt want to "mess up his first bow-hunting day"  He states that he waited till later in the day to investigate. I understand nature and all of that but we are also and he was in a unique position to keep the deer from suffering. Kill it then let nature take its course. We all try to humanly kill our deer from practice with our bows to using the correct draw weights to having razor sharp broad heads etc. it seems to me this auther was very selfish to allow this deer to suffer without justification other than to not spoil his own hunt.

ranwin33

RE: Article "View to a Kill"

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:22 am

I haven't got to the article yet, but I would have to agree with you.  I would not let an animal needlessly suffer just because it my spoil the rest of my hunt.

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:56 pm

Derrick, I have to admit that I felt the exact same way while reading the article.  I personally would not have hesitated to get down and put it out of its terminal condition.  I felt so strongly that I brought this up to a good friend, biology major and hunting partner.  I expected him to totally agree with me but shock to me he didn't.  He made some good points about that type of situation existing within nature constantly plus we really don't know if it would be terminal or not.  In fact, we have all probably seen situations in nature where we found an animal that we couldn't explain why the animal was still alive, let alone thriving.  While I still can see without hesitation that I would have taken matters into my own hands immediately, I now have a new perspective on why others feel differently.

It reminded me of a time where I was photographing a large snake raiding a robin's nest eating the young, and how one of my sons to this day is angry with me because I didn't save the babies.  I feel that my role was to document nature not change it.  He feels otherwise.  The more I think about it, the two situations are pretty darn similar.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:43 am

after posting on this subject on the rub line blog i went back to peruse the article and realized that the author and the hunter in questuion were two different people. i think the issue isn't  so much whether he should or should'nt have intervened but whether messing up the FIRST day of bowhunting to do so should'nt have been a deciding factor. . being a strong believer in divine intervention as well as our job as stewards of gods creations perhaps we are sometimes put in these positions for a reason. maybe these are gods way of testing our humanity and compassion against logic and our own desires. just a thought.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:26 am

This past year while hunting, I shot a nice buck with my bow. I droped it and it couldnt move. I got down and had to finish the job. It was early into the season, But I couldnt bare to see this animal suffer. I also figured that If I shot the deer, I decied it was the deer for me. I would have to get down anyway and track the animal if it had ran.  A quick kill is the best way, you owe it to the animal.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Knockdown

Postby Knockdown » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:38 pm

While I do not bow hunt, i do hunt the gun seasons. I believe that we owe it to the animals we hunt to make every attempt possible at an instant or most humanely possible kill. My personal "policy" is if the animal is still moving by the time it takes me to load another shell, shoot it again.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:23 am

Did not read the article but it apparently addresses an age-old question of ethics as they relate to the hunter.

Nature can seem cruel by humans standards. Fair-play, fair chase, mercy, morality, these are all human conventions and wildlife has no time for any of it. No matter what our intention are to a wild creature, they will never ask for mercy should we come for them, nor show gratitude when we try and help them.

When I hunt deer with a gun or a bow I do my level best to start a job and finish a job as quickly as possible. My game, my rules.
When chasing squirrels with my redtail, she knows no mercy or fairplay, slow kill, quick kill, however it plays out is fine with her. Her game, her rules. Both animals if come upon in their wild state would be as equally confused as to our intentions if given the ability of abstract thought.

Would I help out another human hunter and clean up somone elses mess? Probably. Interfere with other predators in their natural processes? No way. Our human ethics put us on a much quicker timetable sometimes than the rest of the planet. Consider the Komodo Dragon of Indonesia. It often hamstrings small deer and tracks them for days while their toxic,enzyme and bacteria ridden saliva does its work.

Me I'll take a 4 blade muzzy any day[;)]

whubbard

Postby whubbard » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:55 pm

Thank you Squirellhawker.  Exactly my sentiments.
Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them. --John James Audubon

hendo64

Postby hendo64 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:28 pm

where can this article be read at it seems very interesting?

John1961

Postby John1961 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:15 am

I have to agree with Deercamp. Last year I killed the biggest deer of my life so far. But I had to shoot twice. The first shot I think broke its back or something because he kept trying to get up. I left my ground blind ( after radioing the others in the area) and finished him off. I felt bad because I did not kill him with one shot but at the same time I know this has happened to other  hunters. 
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features