Les Davenport-changed is belief?

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
EatDeer

RE: Les Davenport-changed is belief?

Postby EatDeer » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:48 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: EatDeer
Hunting alone is ok, but it's meant to be shared with friends and famliy.

The truth is, nobody really wants to deer hunt with me. I can be a little...high strung, when it comes to deer hunting. Shure makes those long drags tough. [:@]

But come turkey season, I'm Mr. Popular b/c I'm more relaxed and I'm a decent caller. [;)]
I guess that's why they make four-wheelers! One of my hunting buddies is about as high strung as they get...I just bite my tounge and take it with a grain of salt. Even if we don't always agree on everything, we still have fun hunting.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:51 am

ORIGINAL: gutpile

[quote]ORIGINAL: gutpile

First off if a guy talked to me like that, he wouldn't do it twice..
And I will have to agree with 480 on this issue..People have turned deer hunting into a chest beating frenzy, all the is talk about P&Y and B&C, like you have to have a deer score in order for it to be a trophy, I would love to kill giant bucks and bulls, that's why I hunt hard, I have taken a fair share of good deer & elk, but i make the decision when I see the animal if I am gonna kill it, and if it doesn't measure up to what you consider a trophy oh well KMA...
Every deer harvested, I consider a trophy to a degree, but I can't bring myself to harvest any buck that is smaller then the last one I took, its just to easy. When someone is practicing QDM, or even TDM for that matter they have to set some size or age standards for bucks harvested on the property, surely you can't fault a land owner/manager for that?  You would love to kill giant bucks, but harvest any small buck that walks by? Kinda sounds like your hunting methods are  counter productive.  If Bill Jorden invited you to one of his whitetail hunting ranches, and told you to harvest a mature 150" or larger buck,  would you shoot a yearling buck? 

If I am paying for a hunt I plan on killing a trophy buck since I would be paying to do just that. Its as simple as that. When I hunt open range land like most of us have to do here I shoot what ever animal I feel the need to kill. I will not apologies to anyone for killing a deer they consider too "small". And for the record if I was invited to hunt someones land and they want me to kill a trophy buck I would do just that..I just dont hunt for horns.
So its safe to say you will harvest any young buck, unless the landowner asks you not to shoot young bucks. Why shouldnt Les be granted the same respect, or other landowners, and hunters who practice QDM.    If your not "horn hunting" shouldn't you be shooting doe's, instead of the young bucks. Looks to me like it's a double standard way of thinking.
[/quote]
My combine broke so I can't harvest deer. I will not hunt unlawful and shoot a doe here just cause I dont kill a giant buck, cause shooting doe's without a permit is unlawful here except bow hunting,or without a special permit,  and I will kill em if I decide to bow hunt that year... And of course I will hunt and kill what the landowner ask me to wouldn't anybody.
 And around here killing a large blacktail buck is very hard to do, way to much brush and once one is spoked u will probably never see it again, and they are about impossible to patern.
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

peepsight

Postby peepsight » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:35 pm

Let's face it.  We all get a little wound up when the subject returns to deer hunting.  How you do it, and what equipment you do it with has changed so much in the last 20 years, that if we all weren't a little mental we would just go out and kill one legal deer, and never get together on these blogs and talk about it until the proverbial cows come home!![8D]
         It is an issue that we look for constantly to improve, and make more enjoyable, and in the end memorable and attractiv eto other hunter's.  Especially the junior young hunter's of tomorrow.  Let us start by getting our families more behind what we do, and get the kids into it.  If we don't we will all get to that point where hunting is soooo  expensive, nobody but the very rich could afford to do it.
          When I was younger in my teens, scoring a rack was unheard of, either it was legal or it was not.  The guy who said to forget the B&C and P&Y was correct.  A trophy is a trophy, because no deer just walks up to a stand and keels over at your feet, unless someone else shot him, and then you should wait a few hours and look for the other hunter before doing anything about keeping it.. 

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:13 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: EatDeer

And I will have to agree with 480 on this issue..People have turned deer hunting into a chest beating frenzy, all the is talk about P&Y and B&C, like you have to have a deer score in order for it to be a trophy, I would love to kill giant bucks and bulls, that's why I hunt hard, I have taken a fair share of good deer & elk, but i make the decision when I see the animal if I am gonna kill it, and if it doesn't measure up to what you consider a trophy oh well KMA...
Every deer harvested, I consider a trophy to a degree, but I can't bring myself to harvest any buck that is smaller then the last one I took, its just to easy. When someone is practicing QDM, or even TDM for that matter they have to set some size or age standards for bucks harvested on the property, surely you can't fault a land owner/manager for that?  You would love to kill giant bucks, but harvest any small buck that walks by? Kinda sounds like your hunting methods are  counter productive.  If Bill Jorden invited you to one of his whitetail hunting ranches, and told you to harvest a mature 150" or larger buck,  would you shoot a yearling buck? 

If I am paying for a hunt I plan on killing a trophy buck since I would be paying to do just that. Its as simple as that. When I hunt open range land like most of us have to do here I shoot what ever animal I feel the need to kill. I will not apologies to anyone for killing a deer they consider too "small". And for the record if I was invited to hunt someones land and they want me to kill a trophy buck I would do just that..I just dont hunt for horns.
So its safe to say you will harvest any young buck, unless the landowner asks you not to shoot young bucks. Why shouldnt Les be granted the same respect, or other landowners, and hunters who practice QDM.    If your not "horn hunting" shouldn't you be shooting doe's, instead of the young bucks. Looks to me like it's a double standard way of thinking.
[/quote]
My combine broke so I can't harvest deer. I will not hunt unlawful and shoot a doe here just cause I dont kill a giant buck, cause shooting doe's without a permit is unlawful here except bow hunting,or without a special permit,  and I will kill em if I decide to bow hunt that year... And of course I will hunt and kill what the landowner ask me to wouldn't anybody.
And around here killing a large blacktail buck is very hard to do, way to much brush and once one is spoked u will probably never see it again, and they are about impossible to patern.
[/quote] I see the problem clearly now....your harvesting blacktail deer with your combine, instead of your weapons.[8|]  I was discussing the whitetail deer QDM perspective in the original thread, or did I miss a post about blacktail deer? Well anyway, atleast you can abide by a landowners personal wishes pertaining to deer herd management harvest goals.[&:]

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:39 am

ORIGINAL: peepsight

Let's face it.  We all get a little wound up when the subject returns to deer hunting.  How you do it, and what equipment you do it with has changed so much in the last 20 years, that if we all weren't a little mental we would just go out and kill one legal deer, and never get together on these blogs and talk about it until the proverbial cows come home!![8D]
   It is an issue that we look for constantly to improve, and make more enjoyable, and in the end memorable and attractiv eto other hunter's.  Especially the junior young hunter's of tomorrow.  Let us start by getting our families more behind what we do, and get the kids into it.  If we don't we will all get to that point where hunting is soooo  expensive, nobody but the very rich could afford to do it.
    When I was younger in my teens, scoring a rack was unheard of, either it was legal or it was not.  The guy who said to forget the B&C and P&Y was correct.  A trophy is a trophy, because no deer just walks up to a stand and keels over at your feet, unless someone else shot him, and then you should wait a few hours and look for the other hunter before doing anything about keeping it.. 
Welcome to the forums, peepsight. Nice to meet you!  I have to agree most of us here are mental about deer hunting! [;)] I have observed that most of the average deer hunters in my area do harvest only one deer then they are done hunting for the season. Usualy that deer is a spike or fork horn buck, which could have easily been a over-populated doe instead. I remember my first firearms kill, 20 years ago when I myself was a kid. I was twelve years old, I shot a button buck, no problem with that of course, still I would have wanted a nice mature buck to be my first deer instead. The QDM movement was just picking up speed at the time, so my hunting party wasn't informed about passing young bucks into older age classes,etc, which isn't the case nowdays. With the way bucks roam in the rut, there is no reason why a nice buck should be anymore costly to you then a doe. I believe even the average hunters on public lands, can make a huge difference in thier own harvest quality, if they would just learn how to pass young bucks into the 3-4 year-old age-classes. This isnt a selfish opinion, or a way to impose regulations and higher hunting fee's on anyone, it's QDM, and every hunter can beneifit from this at no cost.

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:25 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: EatDeer

[/quote]
[/quote] I see the problem clearly now....your harvesting blacktail deer with your combine, instead of your weapons.[8|]  I was discussing the whitetail deer QDM perspective in the original thread, or did I miss a post about blacktail deer? Well anyway, atleast you can abide by a landowners personal wishes pertaining to deer herd management harvest goals.[&:]
[/quote]
Oh sorry I didn't know that blacktail deer were not allowed to be managed.
 we have a strain of whitetail here called the columbian whitetail, they are protected here, but they hunt them in Oregon, anyway why is there less columbians now than when they hunted them here. weird that were they can hunt they thrive were they can't hunt them they ain't doing as well. And I am just thinking outloud.
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:08 pm

trophy hunter hope I never become a trophy hunter I have never been able to eat the rack on a buck I'm just a meat eater now don't get me wrong I'm not going to go out on the first day of deer season and kill the first buck I see but if by the end of the season I have no filled a tag and believe me there has been years at a time when I used to hold out looking for that one buck and it never showed. But that kind of made me feel like I wasted a whole season. No I have relized I'm happy with anything I have shot . I happy that it's a quick kill. And will never take a shot that I feel will not be a quick kill

saoirseglen

Postby saoirseglen » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:02 am

I think the mindset will change once the big name hunters making hunting videos of nothing but doe hunts. I also think the mindset will change when we value hunting does (deer), ewes (sheep), cows (elk and moose), sows (hog and bear) over having to hunt the biggest rack, paws, teeth, or such.

If people want to hunt for the big racks or other trophies, so be it. However, if those same people complain about antler illness in others I am going to call them hypocrites.

Then again, perhaps I should jump on the "big racks are best" bandwagon and tailor my hunting philosophy to target obtaining the biggest racks possible. If it improves the herd, fine, but the goal is the biggest rack so that I can brag about it while it hangs on the wall. And then next year I can hunt for an even larger rack to replace it. This paragraph is said in sarcasm.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:38 am

I just hope Les was true to his words in "Antler Illness" and has changed his belief.  I find it crazy that any club would fine members for shooting a buck that didn't reach a 120" or 130" limit, that screams nothing but Trophy Hunting. I really enjoy reading D&DH but when you think about it a lot of the features and articles on the Rub Line really focus on antler size.  A prime example of this is the "Chris Wood Buck" article currently in the Rub Line.  Wonderful, it had a green score of 264-0/8" but there is no mention of how much the deer weighed.  A lot of the focus on TV is about antler size too.  Competitions are held where the most inches wins and there is no mention of how big (heavy) the deer really were.  My feeling is the deer that weighs more should win.  

Deer hunting should be about providing for your family with healthy deer meat and helping to keep the number of deer in check.  Antler size doesn't always mean it was the most mature and heaviest deer.  I've seen 8 points in Alabama where we hunt that would push the limit of 120" that are considerably smaller in body size than some of the 4 points I've seen shot that wouldn't gross 100".  I hunt to feed my family and will continue to do so.  If I come across a "Trophy" in the process then so be it.   

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:01 pm

I agree with Viking about the whole "Chris Wood Buck" yeah its an amazing deer, but even though it scored 264 where's they story behind it? What happened during that day? Up to that day? etc... I remember reading one of the articles they had on it, but i do not recall anything except the rack size and just stuff that revolves around the measuring of it and stuff like that really. I want to hear how it was harvested, like the hard work that paid off or just the plain ol' dumb luck! Whatever the case may be.

I love heavy racks they are awesome! My personal goal is to one day hopefully have some 180+ class racks in my house, that would just be amazingg, and to manage a great piece of land to live and hunt on. But even if i don't ever get that 180 class buck, im still going to practice QDM for the sake of the DEER HERD and improving the health of the herd, the other deer i will shoot will be cherished, be it a doe or a buck and i will never belittle mine or anyone elses deer for not being a certain class. This is a great sport and we really do need to get back to the basics of it. Just being out in the woods, enjoying the scenery and the inhabitants of the woods that we do enounter, and still getting that feeling when we make that double take at the brown figure walking down a trail towards your spot :) haedly anything can beat that feeling imo. Well until you recover your prize lol ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features