Les Davenport-changed is belief?

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
EatDeer

RE: Les Davenport-changed is belief?

Postby EatDeer » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:52 am

ORIGINAL: saoirseglen

I think the mindset will change once the big name hunters making hunting videos of nothing but doe hunts. I also think the mindset will change when we value hunting does (deer), ewes (sheep), cows (elk and moose), sows (hog and bear) over having to hunt the biggest rack, paws, teeth, or such.

If people want to hunt for the big racks or other trophies, so be it. However, if those same people complain about antler illness in others I am going to call them hypocrites.

Then again, perhaps I should jump on the "big racks are best" bandwagon and tailor my hunting philosophy to target obtaining the biggest racks possible. If it improves the herd, fine, but the goal is the biggest rack so that I can brag about it while it hangs on the wall. And then next year I can hunt for an even larger rack to replace it. This paragraph is said in sarcasm.
 Ok, let me know when you kill the biggest buck...or the biggest doe?[;)] I think if the shows started filming "doe" only hunts, then most would not watch them anymore. Except hardcore doe hunters, who do not shoot any deer with "antlers" in the first place! I used to think next year I'd get a bigger buck, that isnt how it works around here, too many people shooting the first buck that walks by with a yearling rack. I guess my satisfaction is a secondary element, when compared to someone who has been hunting "brown is down" for a couple years. It's great they have started hunting, but I've been doing this for 20+ years, I think my opinion should be valued a little more. It's a awesome deal to harvest a buck of a life time, something that should be shared by many more hunters, who would in turn expect a little more out of thier hunt then some meat.[8|]
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:19 pm

I tell everyone who hunts on my farm not to shoot a lone Doe. This is something I learned by reading a magazine. I HOPE EVERYONE WHO BELIEVES IN Q.D.M. REMEMBERS THIS!

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:46 am

Bob Olsen,
Please enlighten those of us who didn't read that same magazine as to why we shouldn't shoot a lone doe. Are you referring to the danger of shooting a nubbin buck because there are no other deer with it to use for size comparison?

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:03 am

Hi wanderer, it's just my opinion but I think it's just playing the odds. I think a nubbin is more inclined to be alone than a Doe, it's just their nature. Also, and again it's just me, but I can wait to see a Doe with her fawns. I also take twenty yard shots and at that distance it's not real hard to judge their size. Plus, I think it's good Q.D.M.

shreeenergy

Postby shreeenergy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:24 pm

The hunter who shoots a small buck and complains about it after it's dead by saying things like, "I never get the chance at a trophy buck.."
Bucks don't get mature when they are killed at one or two years old.
For every buck, I shoot at least three or more does.

Previous

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features