Antler Illness

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
bigwisconsinbucks

RE: Antler Illness

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:12 pm

This article was great and I really enjoyed it. It pointed out many things that I had not known. Keep up the great work Deer and Deer Hunting. I scored 35.
Kyle

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:14 am

I don't know if I could look at myself in a mirror if I didnt have "antler illness" to a certain degree. I think I can speak for many hunters when I say, that tagging a large "old mossy oak" buck is what drives me to the woods every year. I don't think that driving force is going to change anytime soon either. Don't get me wrong , if a doe walks by me, I'm going to try to harvest her for herd management everytime. I also hunt legaly ,and wouldn't have it any other way. I have read about the poaching offenses by the Tennese residents, and IL. outfitter, I haven't heard what happend to the outfitter? I think after all the laws Blevins broke, he should have either have had a higher fine, or lost his hunting privleges for five years. What is to stop every rich guy out there hunting from doing the same things, after that slap on the wrists? 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:52 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

I scored 26. Always room for improvement.

I hate to think of what I would have scored 10 years ago.

It's kind of funny. Hunting is becoming less and less vital to my existance as I grow.

Is HUNTING less vital, or is KILLING less vital???

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:48 am

well put danesdad ive come to more fully understand the stages of the hunter that are taught in the hunter safety classes. jph i agree i scored 27, however ten or 15 years ago im sure my score would have been much higher. so i guess we're maturing in the right direction.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:06 am

ORIGINAL: danesdad

ORIGINAL: JPH

I scored 26. Always room for improvement.

I hate to think of what I would have scored 10 years ago.

It's kind of funny. Hunting is becoming less and less vital to my existance as I grow.

Is HUNTING less vital, or is KILLING less vital???

It's a good question. The honest answer is BOTH. I never thought I would be saying this, but even HUNTING is less important to me.

In years past, when I had family obligations on a chilly November day, it would almost kill me. I had a hard time being in the moment that God had placed me in. I would be distant from my wife or kids b/c I was thinking about what I was missing.

Don't misundersatnd me, I wish my life was all about hunting. But it isn't. Sometimes I have to sacrifice the hunt and I'm begining to accept that.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:08 am

I scored a 31.. not to bad. but liek JPH said, always room for improvement.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:01 am

still waiting for my issue to arrive*impatiently tapping foot*
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:20 am

Joel, did you contact customer service? I had the same problem and they sent me another issue 1st class mail right away. 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:16 am

yes they said i should receive my copy by the 19th
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

wifehuntingdwnhusban

Postby wifehuntingdwnhusban » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:50 am

After reading the article, I took the test for my mia husband..(he is lost in the woods..I think)...I gave him a 98. I then noticed he had taken the "test" already..he gave himself a 31. I laughed and thought, man is he in denial!! Thanks for the laughs, but really...he is sick and needs help. He has been off for 3 days ...and no sign..except that his gear is gone along with MONEY!!!
wifehuntingdwnhusband

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features