Alsheimer or Rue?

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
schlupis

RE: Alsheimer or Rue?

Postby schlupis » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:47 pm

LLR for me.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:12 am

ORIGINAL: Robert Rowland

hunter480, You say the rut can go on for months?  I disagree. Yes there is breeding going on in December and January but in my opinion the rut is the short period of time when the bucks throw caution to the wind running around like a horny teenager.  That all ends around the first part of December around here.

Don`t want to play a semantics game, but isn`t the rut simply breeding? You`re making it sound like it`s two seperate things.

Certainly, the hottest part of the rut occurs within a smaller window,  but rutting activity, i.e. breeding, does go on well into December and January, depending on how many does went unbred in the initial activity.

knowing does are bred potentially from October thru January, how can anyone make claims about the peak of the rut based off fawn birthing times? Answer is, they can`t. They`re simply attempting to give you a simple answer to a complex issue.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:28 am

ORIGINAL: hunter480
...how can anyone make claims about the peak of the rut based off fawn birthing times? Answer is, they can`t. They`re simply attempting to give you a simple answer to a complex issue.

Why cant they? You said yourself that there is a "hottest part of the rut" within a "smaller window". Wouldn't that also be a "peak"? Does this occur by accident or could it be driven by fawn survival?

And by the way, I did not start this thread so we could attack the views of whitetail research legends. I promise that none of us jokers posting on this thread can match the knowledge of these guys. I was simply asking who's theory you subscribe to.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:27 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

...how can anyone make claims about the peak of the rut based off fawn birthing times? Answer is, they can`t. They`re simply attempting to give you a simple answer to a complex issue.

Why cant they? You said yourself that there is a "hottest part of the rut" within a "smaller window". Wouldn't that also be a "peak"? Does this occur by accident or could it be driven by fawn survival?

And by the way, I did not start this thread so we could attack the views of whitetail research legends. I promise that none of us jokers posting on this thread can match the knowledge of these guys. I was simply asking who's theory you subscribe to.

Obviously, there are a lot of variables in the wild to contend with. Fawn survival would be one of those. The rut, as well as birthing, doesn`t take place in a steril lab, it occurs in the wild, where many things happen to affect breeding, birthing, and survival. No one can even pinpoint, when in a given area, the most breeding takes place. Way too many variables to consider.

And, please let me know who I attacked and when.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:43 am

Hunter480, you began by saying that you side with CA. Cool, that was the point of the thread.

But you continued on and went after the opposing VIEWS (not people).

Examples:
- "...I`ve debated this with some know-it-all guys..."
- "...that claim is baseless..."
- "...how can anyone make claims about the peak of the rut based off fawn birthing times? Answer is, they can`t. They`re simply attempting to give you a simple answer to a complex issue."

I'd like to think LLR's views deserve a little more respect.

HiddenHornsRanch

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:50 am

I have respect for both of them...but I enjoy reading CA's articles and information he has to give, I read Rue's also, but I dont get as into them as I do CA's, I also have a few of his books...
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:53 am

Hunter480, you began by saying that you side with CA. Cool, that was the point of the thread.

Examples:
- "...how can anyone make claims about the peak of the rut based off fawn birthing times? Answer is, they can`t. They`re simply attempting to give you a simple answer to a complex issue."

So sorry that my opinions upset you. You really expect a simple, "I like this view", without why?

very superficial if so. I like to dig a little deeper and have some substance to a debate.

And I didn`t disrespect LLR, I simply stated that I don`t buy into his thinking.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:55 am

Examples:

So sorry that my opinions upset you. You really expect a simple, "I like this view", without why?

very superficial if so. I like to dig a little deeper and have some substance to a debate.

And I didn`t disrespect LLR, I simply stated that I don`t buy into his thinking.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:02 am

I don't have an issue with your opinions. If you think that CA is dead on, I enjoy hearing about why. I was just a little unclear on why we need to take it into "what we don't like about the other guy's views".

I guess the idea behind the OP was a "poll" rather than a "debate". But it's an open fourm so fire away.

Lastly,we differ on what constitues disrespect. To state that one of LLR's views is "baseless" fits my definition.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:11 am

That part of the theory has to do with the fact that it is advantageous for fawns to be born under the dark of the moon for furthur protection from immediate predation. Since the gestation period for deer remains the same at 200 days but the moon phase shifts, hence the theory of moon phase influencing the rut.

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features