Deer tactics: Seeing the monster

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
sigs24

Deer tactics: Seeing the monster

Postby sigs24 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:05 am

I've been hunting for years now and haven't been able to see the monster buck. The rubs and scrapes are there but they seem to be moving at night only. I'm thinking about researching some literature. I was given this site by a coworker. Ever heard of it or have any other suggestions.

http://e6e5brmfuuipew12k1to3acr0e.hop.clickbank.net/

sigs24

PS How do I upload pics... I want to show you guys the monster that roams at night... thanks in advance

Gulfcapt

RE: Deer tactics: Seeing the monster

Postby Gulfcapt » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:30 am

at the bottom of the main forum page is a FORUM RULES AND HELP click on it and it will guide you

Mastertangler

Postby Mastertangler » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:03 am

Do you know for sure there is a "monster"? I've seen some small bucks make sign that look like an elk came through the area. I've got a 6pt right now that has hooves like a horse so seeing tracks you'd swear there's a 250lb buck running around.

You can read a lot, and you might pick something up that helps, but my suggestion is to hunt without hunting. Make your eyes and ears the weapons rather than being focused on carrying a gun or bow. Sit in a location and focus on the clues rather than watching for a deer. Go sit in a stand on a full moon night and watch and listen. You'll start to notice the trails that aren't on the trails, the branches that are sign posts without having a rub or scrape on them, the little clues that may help you pinpoint the deer that has outsmarted everyone long enough to get big.

I'm amazed every year after the gun season is done and I head out to the undisturbed woods and start following tracks in the snow. Why the deer move where they move can be quite the puzzle.

sigs24

Postby sigs24 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:43 am

Yes I know its a monster I have him on camera. Trying to get the pics uploaded but it wont let me.

Mastertangler

Postby Mastertangler » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:04 am

I've never uploaded pics yet either, so I can't be of any help. I'm hoping after this weekend I'll have something to show.

Knowing you have a big one is a good start. Besides what I mentioned before....topo or overhead maps may give you a clue of his hideouts.

I understand your battle as I'm doing the same. I've got a 130" class 10pt that's nocturnal as well. I sat one night of a bright full moon and watched him cross the river by me. Where he came from....a 20' wide strip of really thick stuff that was pushed over an edge when another house went into the subdivision that's started. He doesn't move till all the noise of the houses goes away and there's no way to get near him without him seeing you a mile away. All I can do is try to pattern him enough to be right time right place when he gets goofy and messes up.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:42 pm

I know your frustrations. Noctunal bucks do make mistakes though. Only problem is, you almost have to hunt every day if you expect to get him. And then that might not happen. For the 2009 season in Ill. I had a trail cam at this stand  location from before Oct. 1 to mid Jan. I hunted it a lot, but unfortunatly not everyday. Had other places to hunt. I had numerous all hours of the night pics of the bucks pictured. For the whole season, the 9 pt. came through in day light, 2 diff. times. The other one was 3 diff. times. Sometimes it's just not ment to be. Maybe this year.

never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Julien Dupuy

Postby Julien Dupuy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:18 am

Sigs24,
          Do you know where he heads back in the morning to shelter until dark? He needs an area wich is very dense, and still has access to some type of food during mid-day. Do you know where this place is?

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:13 am

Welcome to the Forum Dave.

I am not familiar with the advertisement you posted, but I do know this Forum has a wealth of free information at your fingertips. Post up, and wait for the answers!!
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:21 am

ORIGINAL: Julien Dupuy

Sigs24,
         Do you know where he heads back in the morning to shelter until dark? He needs an area wich is very dense, and still has access to some type of food during mid-day. Do you know where this place is?

This.

Big bucks cannot vanish into thin air during daylight, they also cannot stay in one bed for 8,10,12 hours straight. They have to get up several times during the day to relieve themselves, browse and perhaps get a drink if it is hot, but they will not leave dense security cover to do this.

It is too late for this season, but after this season find out where that buck is holed up and figure out how to hunt that area with out him knowing it. This usually includes a well thought out entry/exit route, a steady wind, being in the tree hours before daylight and hunting all day.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:00 am

Stand time is important, but if you overhunt the area, you might alert him to your presence. If that happens, he will be even harder (if not impossible) to see during the day. Really, sometimes luck is the only "strategy" that works, but just imagine the satisfaction if you succeed.

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features