Deer tactics: Seeing the monster

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Bob Olsen

RE: Deer tactics: Seeing the monster

Postby Bob Olsen » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:40 am

While it's true that you need plenty of stand time, the timing is probably more important. I would suggest going out late in the morning and staying until dark-dark. In the morning it's to easy to bump them and for me much to rough to stay on stand for 8 to 10 hours a day. A small compromise. I "think" the big guy's are already in bed by the time we get on stand anyway. If you are already settled in at mid-morning you might catch them for brunch. These mid-morning and early afternoon hours are especially important during the rut.
 You must also choose your stand site according to the wind. I'm fortunate enough to have two of my best sites with a pasture on my East.
 And just because it's dark-dark, (10-15 minutes after shooting time) a deer only needs a quarter-moon to see as well as we do at noon. A quarter-moon is when half of it is lit up by the sun. Some people call it a half-moon, but there is no half-moon. So you still need to be stealthy when getting down from you stand.
 What time were your picture's of "Your Monster" ? Maybe you can view a topo and start moving backwards and closer to intercept him.

Previous

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features