Dan's Question of the Week: How Many Deer Will You Use in a Year?

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Dan Schmidt

Dan's Question of the Week: How Many Deer Will You Use in a Year?

Postby Dan Schmidt » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:58 am

The days are ticking by...almost time to replenish those empty freezers! Which has me wondering:

Assuming you can fill as many tags as you want, how many deer will you put in your freezer this year?
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

Ifishandhunt

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: How Many Deer Will You Use in a Year?

Postby Ifishandhunt » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:40 am

I answered two deer but honestly I would be excited to get just one. Last year I killed my first buck and it was the only deer I harvested last season. I still have the venison we are eating and it will probably last until early September. My hope is to kill at least one doe and one buck this season, though if I hunt all of Ohio, I could get up to 7 deer (that'll never happen!). My son is 11 years old and will hopefully shoot his first deer this year. So even if I don't kill one and he does, it will be a good year!

DeerAddict

Postby DeerAddict » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:09 am

We have seven people in my family. Last season we took 4 deer and by now we ate almost all of it. We would probably take five if we could this season. That would probably be enough till next year. [:)]

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:12 am

My family and I can consume three deer per year, but I dont always get three. When we have venison available, it becomes about 80% of the meat we use (along with some chicken and pork). This year, I only got one doe, so we've run out of venison and had to purchase beef. I'd forgotten how bland and greasy ground beef can be. Of course, nothing beats backstraps!
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:13 am

Our family normally uses about 1 deer a year.  I will try and shoot another deer for my grandparents as they love venison.  The area I hunt as been hit hard over the years and we are in EAB and I need to shoot a doe which is going to be hard. 
Scott

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:21 am

ORIGINAL: gunther89

Our family normally uses about 1 deer a year.  I will try and shoot another deer for my grandparents as they love venison.  The area I hunt as been hit hard over the years and we are in EAB and I need to shoot a doe which is going to be hard. 

They taste just as good![:D]
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

SoIll Dawg

Postby SoIll Dawg » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:30 am

As many as I can get.  I shot 1 last year in January and it was gone by the end of February.

Boonecounty

Postby Boonecounty » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:09 am

I usually try to get 3, I also have a large family, and I have been lucky enough to get 3 deer the last 4 years. October cant come soon enough, because I am down to 1 pound of burger and 5 roasts.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:16 am

i voted three. My family usually uses two but we always have a neighbor or two that say they'll take one from us if we want to harvest it for them. I'm willing to harvest one (using my own tags) for a non-hunter as long as they promise not to waste the meat.

bobow

Postby bobow » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:25 pm

In my fantasy world I voted for three.  In 2008 the one I got did not last very long between myself, grand kids  and step mother. 

Since I didn't get anything last year I had a friend share some of the three he got from his property in KY.  I am very thankful for their generosity.

So three would be easy to eat in a years time.  I agree that beef can be bland after being fortunate enough to have venison.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features