Rut Prediction Question

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
titan23_87

Rut Prediction Question

Postby titan23_87 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:47 am

According to Charlie A. the rut is triggered how many days after the second full moon (rutting moon) after the equinox?

easports

RE: Rut Prediction Question

Postby easports » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:22 am

My understanding is that the beginning of the rut is the second full moon after the autumn equinox. The autumn equinox was yesterday September 22. The first full moon is tonight September 23. And I believe the second full moon is October 23.

SoIll Dawg

RE: Rut Prediction Question

Postby SoIll Dawg » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:09 am

Wow I wish Charles A or someone from D&DH would clear this up!!

According to the article in the October 2010 D&DH;

"At some point in autumn, the amount of daylight decreases enough to reset the whitetail's reproductive clock, thus placing the breeding season in November, December or January in the Northern Hemisphere."

Then...

"This year's rutting moon (second full moon after the autumn equinox) is Nov. 21....."

Personally, I think the confusion stems from the date of the September full moon.  Which is today Sept 23.  Autumn arrived on Sept 22, but not until 10:09pm CST.  So doesn't that mean that the actual equinox begins at 10:09 CST and last 24 hours - which puts it on the same day as the full moon?  THEREFORE (whew) the rut will be late November, not October.

Regardless of my guesses on the actual day of equinox, the article does mention that there will be 2 peaks to the rut.  A small peak that will occur during the October full moon and a main peak during the November full moon.

I highly suggest buying the magazine and reading the article.  Lots of good info in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features