Woods Walker's Question Of The Week

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Woods Walker

Woods Walker's Question Of The Week

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:31 pm

Well seeing as Dan hasn't had a new question of the week since the end of August (hopefully he's too busy HUNTING!! [:)] ), I thought I'd continue the tradition. So here goes.......

How many of you cut the rear tarsal glands off the deer you kill, and why?

There are no right or wrong answers here, just information.

I'll start.......

I don't. I know some believe that they will taint the meat, but with close to 50 deer that I haven't cut them out of, I've never had a tainted one yet. If it ain't broke..........[;)]

Hokay......ball's in your court people!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

fasteddie

RE: Woods Walker's Question Of The Week

Postby fasteddie » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:03 pm

I sure as heck don't and never saw the need to do so . A kid that I took gun hunting shot a BIG spike buck . It's horns were quite large in diameter . My son guessed it to be 3 1/2 years old . Anyway the kid tracked it down and dragged it by the back legs . He hung it up and it stank like all getout ! A horrible smell . He took it to the butcher and the butcher threw away a lot of tainted meat .
The kid got the tarsal gland odor on other parts when he field dressed the deer .
Semper Fi !

motorbreaker

Postby motorbreaker » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:09 pm

I have cut them off, Put them in a zip lock and into
the fridge.
Later take them out, Pour buck urine on them and walk them through some scrapes on the way to my stand where I would hang them from a tree.
The result's were not all that. But if you dont try, You dont know.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:43 pm

I cut them off and use them as a deer/buck lure. I tie monofilament to the tarsoglands and drag them in to where I hunt, then hang them in a tree about five foot! I have had doe's and bucks come in and actually pee at the tree that they hang from.. They work better then any lure you buy at a store in my opinion!

Great post Woodsie

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:01 pm

I too cut them off and freeze them for later use. I pin one to my camo pant leg just a little below the knee. I put buck urine in a small spray bottle, and occasionally spray it on the way to my stand. Have had many successful times. Dosen't work everytime, but enough to make it worth while for me. I didn't think there were too many people who used tarsal glands.

never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:56 am

I always always cut them off to use in the field.

They have been the best scent attractant for me by far, deer also seem calm when I have them around.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:25 pm

I too have cut them off to use them in the field. I've never cut them off soley to save the meat. My experience has been simliar to Woodsie as far as good meat goes.

Sam Menard

Postby Sam Menard » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:28 am

I do. Once their off, I don't have to worry about getting all that stink on my hands or on the meat. I've also used them as deer lures.

Sam
"The true hunter counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport."

Dr. Saxton Pope

badtoys

Postby badtoys » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:28 pm

years ago an old timer told me to cut them off and tie to bottom zipper of coveralls so it drags some grass and weeds let me tell you it works every week or 2 i spray with buck pee it works
WARNING: The lead contained in this bullet has been known to cause severe injury and even death. when travelling at over 2100 feet per second.Surgeon General's Warning: Getting smoked by one of these bullets may behazardous to your health.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:44 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

How many of you cut the rear tarsal glands off the deer you kill, and why?

There are no right or wrong answers here, just information.

I'll start.......

I don't. I know some believe that they will taint the meat, but with close to 50 deer that I haven't cut them out of, I've never had a tainted one yet. If it ain't broke..........[;)]

Wow, you guys are fanatics. I saw off the leg just above the tarsal gland & away it goes. I'm not hard core like some of you & prefer not to save the "stink" in my freezer or anywhere near my house or car. [:'(]

I guess I'm a wuss, but I prefer to buy my "stink" in a bottle, and only doe stink. Years ago I read a study by some university that said the scent of a tarsal gland not only shows the sex of the animal, but the dominance of a buck.

So unless you're after dominant bucks only, the scent can actually scare off smaller or non-dominant bucks and, does as well that aren't ready to mate. Anyway, to answer the question ... I leave it in the woods.

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features