Woods Walker's Question Of The Week

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
scottflesher

RE: Woods Walker's Question Of The Week

Postby scottflesher » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:48 am

mighty, you cut off the leg in the woods? Don't tell me you pack out a whitetail like you do an elk? LOL[:D]

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:25 pm

ORIGINAL: mightyfofaad

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

How many of you cut the rear tarsal glands off the deer you kill, and why?

There are no right or wrong answers here, just information.

I'll start.......

I don't. I know some believe that they will taint the meat, but with close to 50 deer that I haven't cut them out of, I've never had a tainted one yet. If it ain't broke..........[;)]

Wow, you guys are fanatics. I saw off the leg just above the tarsal gland & away it goes. I'm not hard core like some of you & prefer not to save the "stink" in my freezer or anywhere near my house or car. [:'(]

I guess I'm a wuss, but I prefer to buy my "stink" in a bottle, and only doe stink. Years ago I read a study by some university that said the scent of a tarsal gland not only shows the sex of the animal, but the dominance of a buck.

So unless you're after dominant bucks only, the scent can actually scare off smaller or non-dominant bucks and, does as well that aren't ready to mate. Anyway, to answer the question ... I leave it in the woods.

The 'stink' stays in the garage fridge or freezer, house fridge is off limits to such items. But yea you are right I would not bring them things anywhere near the front door of my house.

The tarsal glands really do work, they are worth the trouble of cutting off and keeping around.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

ilovetohunt

Postby ilovetohunt » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:30 pm

I leave them intact and make sure I'm careful about not cross contaminating the meat by using the same knife I used to hang the deer and I also make sure of where my hands have been. I have done this with all the bucks I've killed and have no bad experiences!

Brian

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:56 pm

Not true. I've Had all ages of bucks follow my trail in. I usually walk past my stand first then cut back to my tree. I rattle and watch them pick up my trail and follow it. One time I had 5 come by, maybe 15-20 min. apart. I think with rattling any buck that picks up on that trail, thinks he has the quickest way to find where the action is. Many times I have seen a buck with a doe and there will be numerous other bucks hanging around. They are all in the same game. A fellow hunter friend of mine once saw two big bucks fighting over a doe. While they were at it, a smaller buck came in and bred the doe. They are not afraid to follow any buck scent. It could lead to better things.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

badtoys

Postby badtoys » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:45 pm

yes me too

ORIGINAL: charlie 01

Not true. I've Had all ages of bucks follow my trail in. I usually walk past my stand first then cut back to my tree. I rattle and watch them pick up my trail and follow it. One time I had 5 come by, maybe 15-20 min. apart. I think with rattling any buck that picks up on that trail, thinks he has the quickest way to find where the action is. Many times I have seen a buck with a doe and there will be numerous other bucks hanging around. They are all in the same game. A fellow hunter friend of mine once saw two big bucks fighting over a doe. While they were at it, a smaller buck came in and bred the doe. They are not afraid to follow any buck scent. It could lead to better things.
WARNING: The lead contained in this bullet has been known to cause severe injury and even death. when travelling at over 2100 feet per second.Surgeon General's Warning: Getting smoked by one of these bullets may behazardous to your health.

habitatmanager

Postby habitatmanager » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:49 pm

Best attractant i've ever used, i will even cut tarsals of fresh roadkill (as long as their not bloody). They will bring in bucks and does of all ages. Seems like they work better if they are used from a deer not from the area. I've even had deer bed underneath"i hang them about 5' off the groung 20-30 yards from my stand" them waiting to see the intruder deer that they smelled.

badtoys

Postby badtoys » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:52 pm

have to try that

ORIGINAL: habitatmanager

Best attractant i've ever used, i will even cut tarsals of fresh roadkill (as long as their not bloody). They will bring in bucks and does of all ages. Seems like they work better if they are used from a deer not from the area. I've even had deer bed underneath"i hang them about 5' off the groung 20-30 yards from my stand" them waiting to see the intruder deer that they smelled.
WARNING: The lead contained in this bullet has been known to cause severe injury and even death. when travelling at over 2100 feet per second.Surgeon General's Warning: Getting smoked by one of these bullets may behazardous to your health.

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:20 pm

I do not cut them out and it has never tainted my deer meat. I have killed some mature bucks during the rut with some strong tarsal but took no special precautions with the meat. I process my own so maybe I take better care of it. I have used code blue tarsal scent and saw no real results by other mature bucks so I quit using it. 
If you can find it you can kill it.

Previous

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features