Bleat performance

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
EatDeer

Bleat performance

Postby EatDeer » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:16 am

Anyone use that new woods wise bleat call? I have used that primos can for many years. I can honestly say , I have never had one deer react or come in to that call. Still I thought I might try out that ma-mah call this year, seemed to work  for Big Dan. 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

JOEL

RE: Bleat performance

Postby JOEL » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:14 am

plan on getting one soon.is that the one peter fidducia is talking about?
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

shadow

Postby shadow » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:47 pm

I never used the primos can, but just bought one the long version.. it doesn't work for you?  Great, a waste of money.??!!

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:12 am

ORIGINAL: shadow

I never used the primos can, but just bought one the long version.. it doesn't work for you?  Great, a waste of money.??!!
Not for me, I've had better luck with a grunt tube and rattling antlers. This new "mah-ma" call by woods wise looks like it might work ,there was a story on it in the mag. It's based on new research and makes four diffrent doe/ fawn bleats. I bet it won't be on the shelves long thats for sure.  
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:44 am

i realized after i posted its not the call i thought it was.I saw the ad for the one your talking about.
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:27 am

I bought a primos bleat can...used it one season...packed it up and last year before hunting took it out and the inside had crumbled...Called them and they said you Can't get any moisture in them...?.....I don't hunt indoors!...any how they had me send it in and they replaced it...telling me I should put it in a plastic baggy and use it like that....We'll see if it works this year...it's in it's zipploc....[8|]...other than that it worked great......

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:50 am

shoot folks ive had very good deer response with the can you just cant tip it fast or to slow when you get the rythme down the deer will come but i will say that i do have to buy a new one every year cuz they are kinda fragile especialy around water but i dont like to go with out cuz when they work THEY WORK
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:25 am

I like to get a different call every year so I'll probably look at it as well as others.

I have used the can successfully a few times - mostly on does.  But last year I used it in combination with a grunt tube and called in a nice 11 pointer who was wanting to see who was messing with a doe in his territory.

Funny thing about the can is I remember playing with a similar toy back in the "60's" but at that time it was sold as a cow call mimic.

Kydeerhunter03

Postby Kydeerhunter03 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:17 am

I have a can call, and like many of you, have never had any luck with it.

Now I have the True Talker and I love it. In my opinion its the best deer call out there.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:56 pm

not to sound like a braggart but ive brought in several bucks like they were on a string just by bleating with my voice. granted these deer were in sight. ive even brought a couple of them back in after a miss. its really not hard and its one less thing you have to carry.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features