deer ponds

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
msbadger

deer ponds

Postby msbadger » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:42 am

Just got my D &DH and really enjoyed the information on deer ponds good stuff....I found that you don't need alot of money to get water on your land....I have collected used bath tubs ...plastic pond liners...and live stock rubber water tubs....I bury them to the rim on the downhill side of my woodland plots....barley staw keeps alge down and frogs raise tadpoles in them so that takes care of the skeeters....snow and rain keep them full....and every two years I drain and clean them refilling with clean well water I bring in using a 55gal barrel....this has increased all wild life on property...even pheasant which are rare in this area...

gard73

RE: deer ponds

Postby gard73 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:03 pm

Excellent idea. I have a small timber that does have a little creek at one end but it's usually dried up by now but with all the rain we got in Iowa this year it's still flowing good. Might have to give it a try in the future.
Thanks for the idea.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:09 am

We've got a couple of small ponds on our property as well as a creek that runs when it rains, but don't see much wildlife around them.  The ponds may be too close to the road that runs along our west side, although we see tracks so they must be getting night visits.

I've been toying with the idea of taking some old truck tires and cutting one sidewall off then lining with plastic to create some water "holes" back in our woods near some food plots.  Rain and drainage would most likely keep them filled.  I'm just not sure it's worth the trouble.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:08 pm

in a few months the stores will be looking to get rid of those small plastic kiddie pools cheap.heres a cheap way to try this out.
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:12 pm

just tonite I looked out the PC room window to see 2 big doe and a nice young 4pt.er....so far that is...drinking out of a plastic Koi pond I put in the woods...it holds just 55 gals and there are running streams just 300yrds from our place.....pics I've posted of plots with deer in them...the deer are standing just a few feet from a bathtub I sunk and filled....you can't even see it for the clover grows up all around it....small tub but used alot and filled with frogs and tad poles this spring...I find them well worth it seeing all property around us are streams...ponds and swamps and the deer are on us......

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features