Dan's Question of the Week: TV Couples

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Dan Schmidt

Dan's Question of the Week: TV Couples

Postby Dan Schmidt » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:56 am

Received this note from an avid D&DH reader last week:

"Can’t get over how much the deer world has changed over the past 20 years. It’s amazing how the young people that line up to get autographs of the kissy-poo couples. I saw one couple at a deer expo this past weekend and they could not sign autographs quick enough."

The question: Do the hunting couples you see on TV portray a good image for hunting? What do you like or dislike about them? And ... what are your overall thoughts on this trend in hunting television?
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

jonny5buck

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: TV Couples

Postby jonny5buck » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:03 pm

Im guessing the ''kissy poo'' couple would be Lee and Tiffany?...anyway i believe it has no bearing on how i percieve deer hunting...it's nice to have a spouse that's on the same page in regards to hunting.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:10 pm

Of the couples on TV, I much prefer Ralph and Vicki...

However, all the television hunting is bad for the heritge I hold so dear.....leasing outfits, high fence killing, antler frenzy......all the bad things that have come from hunting becoming an industry and a television program. And yes, I watch them at times....I can never get enough of deer hunting, but I DO NOT qualify my trophys by the rack size on their heads.
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:46 pm

ORIGINAL: Dan Schmidt
The question: Do the hunting couples you see on TV portray a good image for hunting? What do you like or dislike about them? And ... what are your overall thoughts on this trend in hunting television?

I've never been too big on "image". I think that the obsession with image is one of the things that is wrong with hunting and society in general. I am far more concerned with substance! So it's hard for me to answer your question directly.

Do the hunting couples I see on TV portray a good image for hunting? I don't know. I don't care.

Now, are the hunting couples I see on TV good for the substance of hunting? Not sure on that one either, but at least it's a question I can relate to.

On the positive side, well done TV hunts provide a wealth of information to hunters and promote an ethical and humane approach. Most of the couples shows I have seen are well done and insofar as they attract a more mainstream audience, I think they help the information and message to spread further.

On the negative side, I think they add to the commercialization and degradation of the hunting culture. I won't even get into the trend toward antler worship and competition, that's been done to death. Where I think the couples shows are really bad is that they play into the sexualization of the hunting industry. Let's be honest guys. Nobody is lining up to get their picture taken with Lee. Ever wonder why all of the women in these shows (at least the more recent ones) are bombshells? Are we really supposed to think that hot women just have a thing for deer hunting? Or that a tight fitting t-shirts and Daisey Duke's are really good pre-season scouting apparel? I do not know any of the couples involved in these shows and I do not make any judgments about their values, but I do question the motivation of the produces.

ZEEK

Postby ZEEK » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:42 pm

What's not to like? They're young, good looking, and get to spend a ton of time doing something together they all seem to love and have a ball doing it. Oh yeah and they make a boat load of money to boot. I don't get the channels they're on but I've seen them at a friends house. I wouldn't miss Deadliest Catch to watch any of them but I don't think they are bad for hunting.
Not knowing where you are going is the best way to get
somewhere you've never been.

J. Peterman.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:51 pm

I think its a good thing for hunting..It's hard to find a girl that hunts So in all I feel that the guys enjoy it cuz they can say hey hun she hunts why dont you give it a try? Plus, they enjoy seeing a cute girl that hunts as well.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

pickleguy

Postby pickleguy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:50 am

From a bring women into hunting I think it has a very small impact.

Most women know why their husbands watch certain tv shows & it has something to do with big racks, too bad they arn't on the deer!

From comercialization point it definitly brings guys to the sport shows & possibly sells more products.

From a Christian view it is wrong! I would never consider putting my wife on display to make money. If these guys think what they are doing is right it is not for me to judge.

Deer hunting will survive just fine without these shows & if these couples were making these shows for the love of the sport & each other I would say it has a possitve impact on the sport but I don't think that is always the case.

I am sure there is another side of husband & wife hunting that gets left on the editing room floor & only the smiles make the final cut!

�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

freak nasty 145

Postby freak nasty 145 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:09 am

Plain and simple, The only reason i think these women are on hunting shows is because sex sells. End of story. I see alot of women in tight fitting shirts, daisy dukes on etc.... I saw one women (T.L) putting on make up in a turkey blind!! WHAT!!! I also seen a women sitting in a barn (in a hunting show) leaned back with two holes on her jeans (big holes) by her knees. Wonder what that supposed to mean?? My wife goes hunting with me when she can and i love having her with me. That is all well and good if it promotes family. But all i see is that (not all shows) sell sex because it works. It seems to me that this is what the hunting world has come too. So sad. The hunting world has changed in the last twenty -twenty five years. And i'm not so sure for the better.
"Any sportsman who can kill his deer without the tingling spine, the quick clutch at his heart, the delicious trembling of nerve fibers when the game is finally down, has no place in the deer woods." Lawrence R. Koller. (1948).

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:00 pm

"TV Hunting" is an oxymoron. It has no bearing or relationship at all to any hunting I've ever done. It's staged, scripted and edited. Everything you see is merely an ILLUSION of reality.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

freak nasty 145

Postby freak nasty 145 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:48 am

Well said woodswalker.
"Any sportsman who can kill his deer without the tingling spine, the quick clutch at his heart, the delicious trembling of nerve fibers when the game is finally down, has no place in the deer woods." Lawrence R. Koller. (1948).

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features