Dan's Question of the Week: TV Couples

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
PastorZig

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: TV Couples

Postby PastorZig » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:48 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

"TV Hunting" is an oxymoron. It has no bearing or relationship at all to any hunting I've ever done. It's staged, scripted and edited. Everything you see is merely an ILLUSION of reality.

In your opinion, of course!!![:)][:)][:)]

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:42 pm

The couples I've seen on TV do absolutely nothing for hunting, in my opinion. Is it good for business? You bet. I get turned off at all of these huntress/hunter combo hunts, and the memorized scripts that go with them are even worse. If I wanted to hear a girl talk like a guy I would seek other places to find such, but hearing it on TV or on a DVD is pathetic. Although I don't subscribe to any outdoor channel (and never had), I have seen a few episodes of Lee and Tiff, and a few others at parties, that make me want to puke.

It's even worse at the trade shows. You have bona fide skilled and seasoned hunters sitting in near vacant booths and only a few feet down, you have lines of people waiting to get autographs from the female hunters? Does it really make a person feel good to get an autograph on paper from a female huntress instead of taking advantage of a rare opportunity and getting valuable information from a skilled hunter? Something has turned sour in this sport (or I'm getting too old)!

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% male and far from being a prude! It's just this type of mentality that is sickening to watch. I actually watched and listened to a female "celebrity" tell some young man some of the worse deer hunting advice I think I've ever heard at a show once, only for him to suck in ever word as if it were Gospel. I thought to myself: "What a crock"! She has no idea how to scour the ground for a big buck as her last four or so hunts were at different outfitters miles from each other.

Good for the business, bad for the sport.
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:34 pm

I'm very glad to read the majority of the post going the way they did....I personally think some of these woman and some of the guys as well are just degrading to the hunting life style...Just my first impression...They may be great ppl and hunters  ...I can't honestly say I've watched many and probably won't...but the ones I have just make me shake my head...hey kudos for those ladies being good shots....but a good shot does not make a good hunter...Racks sell and that's what they are making a living at...selling racks

I have to say for all it's faults ...NYS must have a lrg # of woman hunter...for between forums and where I live and just woman I've bumped into in the city as well...there are a lot of woman hunting here...go figure..Of course not many of us had 25" waists 40 in chest ...neon wht teeth or blonde hair....hhhmmmm[;)]

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:06 pm

I don't watch an of those hunting shows. THe only one I like, its on DVD only is Whitetail Adrenaline. They are some local boys who hunt public lands and actually hunt like everyone else. Just like country music these days, I do not like seeing hunting being all sparkly and cute with studly men and primp and proper women. Yeah, they can shoot and kill but are they hunting fair game, or hunting livestock? I dont think so. And are they promoting hunting or filling their pockets with their good looks? Like Marc Anthony said, all the true blue guys are being brushed off at these events. I seen it at Deerfest last summer in Oshkosh WI. Lee and Tiff showed up in their pimped out tour bus. There was line going out of the building full of people wanting to get a photo with the nice looking gal. Great, I like the idea that it might promote more women into hunting and so on, but is that what its all about???
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

ZEEK

Postby ZEEK » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:22 pm

I watch TV shows to be entertained, hunting or otherwise. TV has to be produced and scripted, that's what it is. We're looking at these shows as seasoned hunters, someone who knows nothing about hunting might view these shows differently and get interested in the outdoor lifestyle.

Kodiakmac

Postby Kodiakmac » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:11 pm

I cancelled my subscription to Canada's only hunting channel because I was so sick and tired of the "hollywooding".

If I want to watch Bimbos and Rambos I'll go rent some videos.

stanlh

Postby stanlh » Mon May 02, 2011 1:55 pm

Most of the outdoor shows are showing far too much fluff and not enough hunting or hunting, habitat, technique information. There is no real value in them anymore except for the precious few minutes of how an animal comes in and the hunter prepares for the shot. There is too much time spent on grab ass stuff, joshing around, funnin each other. Who cares about that? No one. If the outdoor shows don't start putting some value in their presentations people will stop watching. I have already. They are getting boring. Ted Nugent puts some value in his with his descriptions of how he plans and excutes. The cute couples laughing at each other are boring. They had better wise up or they will lose the ratings game and so will outdoor TV in general.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon May 02, 2011 3:29 pm

There is a lot of fluff on some of the shows today, but it's entertainment, nothing more. Watch it or not. As for Ted's planning and execution...he puts out corn and shoots a fallow deer when it stops to eat. What planning?
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

danesdad

Re: Dan's Question of the Week: TV Couples

Postby danesdad » Sun May 15, 2011 4:21 pm

Let's face it, the only reason these attrractive young women are on the hunting shows at all is to draw in young male viewers. Young male viewers that have money and will buy the stuff that is advertised on these shows. Higher ratings for the shows means more dollars for each ad spot. It's all about the almighty dollar. Not to take away from their hunting skills, as I'm sure many of these women are excellent hunters (tho if you hunted in the kinds of places they do, you'd be an excellent hunter too), but they are not there for their archery prowess. And they are delusional if they think they are there for that.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

WBowhunt

Re: Dan's Question of the Week: TV Couples

Postby WBowhunt » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:19 am

I think, just like with everything, there are some good and some bad.When it comes to the TV shows, It does not make a difference to me whether it is hosted by a Guy, Girl or a couple. I watch the shows where I may learn something like D&DH TV or a couple of the Bowhunting shows such as one that does a segment with Randy Ulmer and improving your shooting skills.
As a State Hunter education instructor, I constantly send emails to some of these shows that show unsafe and unethical hunting ( I also try to note who the sponsors are and let them know how I feel as well )
I honest think the shows that are doing nothing more then showing someone harvest a great animal and then jump up and down calling it all kinds of names like " What A Toad " or " Look at that this Hog" and so on, are ruining the public image. There is no educational value, no Respect for the animal harvested and most of the times these folks are doing nothing more then pushing their sponsors products. So regardless of Guy Girl or couple, I would say most of the shows today are a joke and should require a disclaimer at the bottom that says " This show is for entertainment purposes only and does not reflect the Ethical and morale values of most of Todays Hunters. "

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features