Dan's Question of the Week: Predators

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Dan Schmidt

Dan's Question of the Week: Predators

Postby Dan Schmidt » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:41 pm

Sorry for the hiatus on this segment, guys. Dennis just gave me the needed prod. I will keep these on the forum for now, but they will soon be housed in a new blog I'll be writing. I'll keep you informed as to when to look for it. For now, be sure to check on the Rub Line blog, as I've been posting there regularly as well ... and Facebook, and Twitter, what fun! ;)

Question to restart this feature:

Which whitetail predator do you despise the most?

Feel free to speak in total selfish terms (tongue in cheek) in regard to your own hunting experiences. My personal vote is for coyotes, as I have lost (or been on the blood-trailing end of a loss) many deer over the years to opportunistic songdogs.

Second part to the question: Do you think your state does enough to encourage predator management?
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

Patriot

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: Predators

Postby Patriot » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:58 pm

Can I vote for poachers and tresspassers?
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:08 pm

Patriot beat me to the punch . The predator that bothers me the most is The Tresspasser . Many folks show no respect for other's property . The DEC is spread too thin to do much of anything about it .
Semper Fi !

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:58 pm

Have to go with ''cars''...than in second place w/go tresspassing poachers.....than 3rd-coyotes-[:D]

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Since I have never lost a deer to a coyote, I'll have to give the trespasser 1st place on my list as did Patriot.
Hope I didn't prod you too hard Dan.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:25 pm

[ol][*]Wolves[*]Coyotes[*]Poachers[*]Bears[/ol]There are too many wolves in WI.  Wolves are also top on my list of predators of hunting dogs. 
[align=right] [/align]

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:55 am

Poachers and cars. In PA you can hunt yotes every day of the year at any time of the day (except rifle deer season), so I dont think the regs can make it any easier.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:54 pm

I bet this is going in a different direction than Dan thought[;)]
You guys know me...trespassers and poachers#1...Those nasty yotes a very close second....Please tell me...how the roads manage to take out the greatest buck![;)]

Dan Schmidt

Postby Dan Schmidt » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:57 pm

It is, Chris, but that's OK! I never even thought of including "human predators." Let's keep this going; and add a twist: share your best poacher stories. First-hand accounts, please. Not "my brother's friend said he caught a poacher on his land..."
[;)]
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:31 pm

My first archery kill last year came 20 minutes after I physically confronted a hunting tresspasser.

The "gentlemen" crossed our fenceline literally in a spot where a No tresspassing sign was posted and hopped up in one of my treestands.

He was about 250 yards away. I immediately got down, crossed an open field and was almost to the tree before he heard me.

Boy was he embarrassed! Needless to say I was pretty upset. Got to about 5 feet from him and firmly stated "this is private property...SIR!!". That's all I said. He hung his head and went back the way he came.

This occurred about 30 minutes before quitting time and I was PO'd.

Anyway, I walked back to my tree and a few minutes later a nice 6pt came within range. I got the tresspass encounter and kill shot on video! My buddy Rick got the whole thing on film!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features