Dan's Question of the Week: Predators

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
jonny5buck

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: Predators

Postby jonny5buck » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:09 pm

Man -Patriot..you have some self control...i w/have dug a hole and used a few bags of lime....i had a couple of guys trespassing on my dads property with quads...i was digging a pungy pit...and starting to cover it up when he stopped me and convinced me that wasn't the answer....the guys on another site where no help...they suggested piano wire at neck high...and one asked if i could get explosives....i bowed out of that...

I think i already posted this one,but here goes....one of the properties i hunt borders an expressway....the landowners son had caught a guy hunting a ladder stand next to the road..on his property...his stand!...he drove by and seen him sitting in it....came around 4x4 truck bouncing across the field..dead at the tree....when he got out he pulled his shotgun...and asked the guy what he was doing??....the guy was freaking...he had every right to ..his son would have ...i met him 2 times...nuts...completely..Turns out a few years later im hearing the same story except it turns out to be the Tresspassing guy...telling it...when i told him i believed him because i hunt that property now...you could see the seriousness in his eyes...''that guy was gonna shoot me '' he said..''he wouldn't let me out the stand for half an hour!!...awesome i thought...you wanna play?....you just might pay...[&:]

PastorZig

Postby PastorZig » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:39 pm

I can't stand the coyote!!! Indiana needs to make it open season on the song-dogs! Free-ranging domestic dogs rank right there with them in my opinion as well. I love dogs, have dogs, and they live in kennels and allowed to run regularly but not free to roam.

The trespasser? I could write for quite awhile. My son and I were turkey hunting and slowly approached a field glassing for birds. Thought we located some so we crept closer only to realize they were decoys. I gave my son my cell phone and told him to watch and if a gun went off, call the sheriffs office immediately. I walked down the edge of the field toward the decoys and a guy stepped out of the bushes directly beneath a posted sign, then the 2nd guy stepped out. I thanked them for the decoys and told them to get off the property. Many more details to the story but I'll not bore you with those.

Another time, deer hunting, I heard beagles and a whistle. I climbed down to check it out and found a guy rabbit hunting on me, it was season across the road in state lands but not season on private land. I walked up to him, (Stupid me) with my bow in hand and he holding a shotgun. I asked him what he was doing hunting rabbits on private land out of season and asked to see his hunting license. He said he had hunted there for 15 years! I told him that if he hunted there the past 3 years then he was trespassing cause it had been posted for 3 years. He responded that anyone can put up a sign!!! I told him to leave..... A couple of years later, I take my youngest son to take his hunter safety course and kept thinking that I knew one of the instructors. Finally, when I saw his name on my son's card after we left the building, it dawned on me that the very instructor who talked to the kids about trespassing/posted signs was the very same guy who said "Anyone can put up a sign!"

No, I don't care for trespassers at all. I can shoot songdogs but cannot go that far with trespassers!!!!! Whew! This thread gets my blood pressure up!!! [:@]

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:17 pm

Just too many...but here's one that I know the guy was fined...measly 70.00 but hey[&o]

I come out of the woods one Saturday gun season head to toe Orange cover alls...go to get the mail and look down our hill and parked right in front of one of the many many posted signs is a van...go tell Mr B and  grab truck keys....he grabs his and I being in orange and still had my gun said I'd go in looking for him and he should get vehicle  details....These guys love no snow...except being lazy he was easy to track in the leafs..not picking up his feet...he traveled to the back of property and they circled back to a mowed trail in the middle....I stepped into the trail and he was backing into the brush....I walked up and said step out now. My gun still shouldered and getting out my pen and pad to get tag info. He does and sees I'm a woman...he immediately puffs out his chest and gets in my face as I'm saying I want your tag info....Yelling "Who the hell are you?!
 To say what I did next wasn't smart is understating it..but then again....can't say it wouldn't happen again. I immediately snatched up the left shoulder of his coat and yanked him around...yelling I'm the "B" that owns this land and I'm taking your tag info so shut up!...He was facing away from me and the stories began...as I said my husband has your plate # and I have a cell with the sheriffs on speed dial..We then got into how he was leaving my land ...I told him he may have come in how he wanted but he was leaving the way I say...and I made it a very long.."chatty" walk...for it was the weekend before I'd nearly been shot walking to my stand...by the time we got within sight of his vehicle he was saying..."But mam can I talk to your husband ...he may be more reasonable " I stopped and said look at my face! Just how mad do you think you can make me stupid!...go home and wait for the cops

Mr. B wasn't happy with me...actually I thought I showed a lot of restraint my fight /flight response leans to the first part of that always has

Terminator

Postby Terminator » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:21 am

Good for you!

Put signs up that say cameras in use all violators will be prosecuted. IT WORKS.

Be sure to carry a camera. Start snapping pics of trespassers, they hate that, they know they're busted.

Also, if you ever raise your gun, be prepared to use it! Psychos are out there and I protect my land and myself like one. I've had two people at gunpoint before and believe me, you have the upper hand when you get the drop on them!

Make an example of someone and spread the word. The crap will stop real quick!

T

Don't tread on me, I will strike!

wisbooner3932

Postby wisbooner3932 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:42 am

I'm going to go with coyotes.  Here in Wisconsin we have an open season all year long, day and night, even during the gun season here in the southern part of the state.  I don't know how big of an impact they have on the deer population as I have read conflicting reports, but they have wiped out our pheasants and rabbits COMPLETELY.  Two years ago I couldn't go on a single hunt (over 50 of them) without hearing a rooster cackle, this year I never heard single one.  I can't remember the last time I saw a rabbit either, it had to be more than 5 years ago. 

But anyways, back to the deer.  It is especially hard to tell their impact since I hunt in an Earn-A-Buck unit and the herd is decreasing in size from that alone.  On bowhunts this year however, I saw them numerous times and one night while I was out shining I saw packs in 3 consecutive fields!  They have to be taking a couple deer at least. 

I feel for all of you with tresspassing problems.  Luckily for me, we know all of the neighbors and have an unwritten rule that we can track deer on others property if we shoot one and it crosses the fence, but other than that everyone respects each others land. 
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

klcmaher

Postby klcmaher » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:58 am

While the coyotes scare the bejesus out of me at night here on our 13 acres, I have to say the trespassers/poachers have my vote. We lost a blind, chairs, and a feeder this year. We figured they'd be safe, on OUR LAND, which either my husband or I (or both) walk on a daily basis. NOT. The worst part is, I think it was a neighbor, or friends of theirs that hunt their land. We are buying cameras next.

freak nasty 145

Postby freak nasty 145 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:05 pm

What predators i hate the most? I"ll tell you..... Trespassers, trespassers, TRESPASSERS. Need i say more!!
"Any sportsman who can kill his deer without the tingling spine, the quick clutch at his heart, the delicious trembling of nerve fibers when the game is finally down, has no place in the deer woods." Lawrence R. Koller. (1948).

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:30 pm

ORIGINAL: Patriot

Can I vote for poachers and tresspassers?

[font="Verdana"][/font]X-3!!!! [:@]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:50 pm

ORIGINAL: jonny5buck

I think i already posted this one,but here goes....one of the properties i hunt borders an expressway....the landowners son had caught a guy hunting a ladder stand next to the road..on his property...his stand!...he drove by and seen him sitting in it....came around 4x4 truck bouncing across the field..dead at the tree....when he got out he pulled his shotgun...and asked the guy what he was doing??....the guy was freaking...he had every right to ..his son would have ...i met him 2 times...nuts...completely..Turns out a few years later im hearing the same story except it turns out to be the Tresspassing guy...telling it...when i told him i believed him because i hunt that property now...you could see the seriousness in his eyes...''that guy was gonna shoot me '' he said..''he wouldn't let me out the stand for half an hour!!...awesome i thought...you wanna play?....you just might pay...[&:]

Seriously? Is killing or holding people at gunpoint worth it? I would say HELL YEAH to that, until I heard of a story of young hunter who got lost and went into some neighboring property trying to find his way out, only to be shot at by some yahoo nutcase. Sorry Johnny, this behavior you mentioned pisses me off. Someone is gonna get hurt and or killed. Not worth the time in prison...
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:56 am

Woah woah-Jslotter...hold up ....the part you cut out and are refering to i did mention this was the landowners son[not me]...although i understand where you are coming from....i did not do anything except tell the story...it is 100% true....the only satisfaction i got out of it was the fact that the guy tresppassing had been sneaking in here and a duck club for years illegaly killing deer...when he got caught this time ,it was by the farmers son again[not me]...and yes i do still hold the philosophy that if you knowingly tresspass with this disregard ..well whatever happens happens...not every landowner is peaches and cream.....and not every landowner is crazy like this guy...it just might make some yahoo trespassing think twice about wether it is worth it...

On the first part i thought my sarcasim was obvious...do tresspassers piss me off...? oh ya ...espically when it is over a period of YEARS.. and years...and they mess up your hunt..riding under your stand..etc...i did bury a 2x4 with nails in it On our property......go figure this was the only thing that stopped them...2 flat tires add up quick.....i would never point a gun at anyone i didnt plan on shooting.....i never have Jslotter.....im talking about 2 seperate pieces of property....and i hear where your coming from ...

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features