Dan's Question of the Week: Predators

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Jslotter

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: Predators

Postby Jslotter » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:02 pm

Im not blaming you Johnny. I hear these type of stories all the time. It concerns me alot. I feel law enforcement needs to tighten up on trespasser punishment so that landowners dont have to resort to extreme measures. It seems when landowners call in a report of trespassing, they get the cold shoulder from the sheriff dept. ... Is it gonna take some trespasser being killed by a ticked off landowner for law enforcement to step up? I hope not.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

bobow

Postby bobow » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:08 pm

Also, if you ever raise your gun, be prepared to use it! Psychos are out there and I protect my land and myself like one. I've had two people at gunpoint before and believe me, you have the upper hand when you get the drop on them!

With all due respect I think you had better rethink the "raising the gun" thing.  If you are not in imminent danger of serious physical harm or death you could be in serious trouble.  At least that is the law in IL as it has been explained to me.  Trespassing or not you are escalating the situation and threatening someone with serious harm or death. 

I would have to assume it would be rather uniform across the country in each state.  I'm just sayin' that macho crap could land your ass in jail if someone wanted to press the issue.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:07 pm

Correct me if Im wrong, pointing a gun at someone, loaded or not, is assault with a deadly weapon, and is a felony. If you have to protect yourself from harm from another person, I see no wrong in doing it. Thats my opinion. It might be the wrong thing though in today's way of thinking. But, if anyone has to chase trespassers off by pointing guns at them and scaring the crap out of them, they should check themselves before they get in serious trouble. Is it worth it? I think not.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:09 pm

Happened in pa trying to get people off the land, guy ended up dead. Not well thought out in my opinion, explain they are on private property ask them to leave in a kind manner if it happens again get stern and be an jerk. If it coninues to be an issue contact the local pd. Document the information so you have validity. Being an ass about it will only irritate the trespasser and then you will notice stands missing, cameras, gone ect... people are straight up ignorant you all know it and I know it. Then people wonder why so much land is posted now a days lack of respect going in areas you are asked to stay out of shooting illegal deer. I sure as hell don't want that on my land nor do my neighbors. One thing still remains the person that will always ruin it for the rest of the hunters. It's a lose lose situation, just stay safe.

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:35 pm

Coyotes are the only real predators that bother me. My neighbors cows and horses are my only trespassers that bother me. I mean really ,how can you have 20 head of cows and 11 horses and have no fence.
Stump sittin since 1981

2tonyb

Postby 2tonyb » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:01 pm

Here is a trespasser success story.  I went out in mid-February to pull trail cams and retrieve my son's blind from my parents property.  I couldn't find the blind and had decided it must have blown away.  I did a pretty good search, but assumed it must have made it to a field and blown across.  We'd had some high winds just a few days before.  When checking my cams, I discovered the photo below.  It took one email to a friend of mine to get their names.  He has a daughter that goes to the high school in that district.  A quick check of facebook with the name confirmed it.  It took merely the hint of law trouble to be fully (happily) reimbursed for the cost of the blind.  The parents were pissed...and not at me.  For the record, I've put three people in jail with my home surveillance system!  Enjoy the photo!!! Faces blackened due to their admission of guilt.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:46 pm

Good work 2tonyb. Nice to catch them redhanded isn't it? One of my trail cameras caught a trespasser 2 years ago. Problem was, it was of his back. Incidentally, he had a really long ponytail. I do keep my eye out for that tail.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:31 pm

Awesome ...we should have a wall of shame ....just for these guys and others...why is it guys will walk on someones property..hunt it...walk all around...knowing they are trespassing...yet the same individuals [if you asked them] would probably say they wouldn't walk in ''your '' house and eat your food out of your fridge...? isnt that what they are doing?

My belief is that they dont put in the same perspective.although it is.. in a way...and by looking at all the postings on here it is VERY VERY common practice...this is why cooler heads prevail...beat them at their own game...get them on film and prosecute...talk to your adjacent landowners and know your boundaries...and what's allowed[retrieving deer etc] and whats not[anything else.]..property i have is posted..with the original pink flagging tape on the actual boundary-i also post '''Call before retrieving deer...CALL FIRST-no exceptions!

I do believe the very first step should be talking to neighbors ,letting them know-----No quad traffic/no mushroom hunting ...nothing....if you knock a deer down and it dies on my property just call me as a courtesy call,,and by all meens get your deer!
And offer me the same courtesy---sometimes this is enough...a lot of times it isnt ...youtube is filled ..i meen filled with trespassing videos..it disgusts me really...

2tonyb- i believe you did the right thing...keep up the good work,,,i will try your method rather than my caveman technique...[8D]

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:14 pm

Coyotes.

I usually shake a stick at them and say mean things, because I don't like them.

I Think you should be able to hunt them year round.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:20 am

It was late 1970's in Waupaca County Wisconsin. I was standing on my front porch the evening before gun season opened and I saw a car with Illinois plates come down my driveway past the house and drive on down to the river. I ambled down there to ask them what they were up to. Before I even opened my mouth to ask them what they were doing, one of them shouted "You don't own the damn deer you know" I agreed with him that I don't own the deer but I do own the land that your car is parked on and I'd like you to leave. They flustered for awhile and then left mumbling about "selfish bastards" ,etc. I'm thinkin' at this time, if they had the courtesy to stop at the house and ask permission to hunt, I might have let them. I never saw them again, but I made up my mind to find out where they lived. I was wondering how they'd like to wake up in the morning, look out the window, and see me and my family having a picnic in their backyard. Or maybe swimming in their pool if they had one. Then I could yell, "You don't own the damn water you know". Of course I never followed up on where they live or went there, but it made me feel better.

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features