Dan's Question of the Week: Decoys

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Dan Schmidt

Dan's Question of the Week: Decoys

Postby Dan Schmidt » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:46 am

This week's question is simple and straight-forward:

Have you ever killed a deer while using a deer decoy?

Follow up question: What are your overall opinions on decoy use in your area (are they effective)? Share your best decoy experience in a few paragraphs on this thread.
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

Bob Olsen

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: Decoys

Postby Bob Olsen » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:26 am

Yes I have! I have two Bucks on the wall both by using a decoy during during the Rut. My first Buck is called the "CRP Buck" because it took me ten years to get him. He was following two Does' and I grunted at him then he spotted my Doe decoy that was looking into the field to my left and he stopped just in front of me. I got my second Buck after missing a "True Monster" at 100 yards with a shotgun. I'm an Archer and did not practice enough Blah, Blah, Blah. I no longer gun hunt. This guy was chasing Four Does' across a field and the Does' laid down in the Switch Grass and he spotted my decoy and I missed him. About a half an hour later a nice ten-pointer ran up to my decoy and I drilled him. him I call him "The One That Didn't Get Away".

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:21 pm

I just recently started using a decoy the last few years.I have been using a ''river bottom buck'' target/decoy...it's old ,but i have had a few does come up on it and not know what they make of it....they do the head bob....than waltz all the way around it..i had one doe that couldn't leave it alone,,she would walk by it about 7ft from it...she would try sniffing the rear...than she would blow air,run about 25yds away..than slowly come back...i could have anchored her but last year i finally got my big momma doe and was waiting for a buck.

I also noticed when i use it with ''the can'' bleat call the fawns will come right up to it and get discouraged because it doesnt want to greet them.once i had a small button buck come out bleating all the way up to the decoy..he wouldnt stop...i was laughing so hard i almost blew the whole hunt.

I really think it is a confidence builder after the second shotgun,,gives just enough calming effect to the high alert deer to get a shot...i havent used in the rut....yet..maybe i will try it this year.

I also should admit there has been a few times when i was hunting a stand overlooking standing corn this past year...that i was so intense on watching other areas where the deer sneak in the field that i forgot about the decoy ....and when i panned back at it...... i started grabbing my bow...whispering to myself ..''how did that deer sneak in here...and than realizing it's my decoy....i hate that witching hour when your eyes play tricks on ya....[8D]

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:29 pm

I have never used a decoy but would love to try sometime. If a deer responds to grunting or rattling, they lose interest quickly when they don't see another deer. There has been a few times when I couldn't get a buck to come close enough for a shot, and was left wondering what would have happened if I had a decoy. Have you had more success using a buck or doe decoy?
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:34 pm

I never have used a decoy. I wouldn't mind trying, under certain circumstances, tho.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:53 pm

4khorn- I have only tried the buck decoy WITHOUT the antlers on it....so a doe decoy...with the one exception on the hunt listed above ....i have only one spot i feel real confident using it...a large 40 acre cornfield that flooded and the farmer didnt re-plant this year....it had standing corn this past year and the deer would filter in wherever they chose....it varied so much that the decoy worked on several occasions.

When i used it late season-Jan-illinois..after the second shotgun season...it worked on the skittish deer and the deep snow made the decoy stand out real well....it didnt fool all the deer .....that spot has about 5 really big mature does...with dozens of fawns/ yearlings/ and small bucks...and one or two monster bucks .

I also placed the decoy at 18yds away ..and to my left ..rather than straight out in front...because im a ''righty'' and deer ''mostly will look at its face but almost all of them try a sniff of the back legs and rear....so they are in perfect position for my liking...of course as we all know ...deer do what deer do...so there has been a few occasions where they either were not interested in the decoy....and if used too many days the older deer get wise and they actually avoid it .. associating it with DANGER...i have only used it approx. 3yrs ,,and on prob 20 hunts.-good luck-

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:58 pm

I myself have not killed a deer using a decoy...However I did buy a brand new decoy this year (The Big Boss.) I used it once and saw a deer out in the distance. I couldnt tell what it was, but the wind was not in my favor at that point and it spooked. It stayed around still and I feel it was only because of the decoy. I never did see what it was.

I feel decoys can work great during the right time and area hunted. I feel that if one uses a decoy on heavy hunted areas they are more or less just going to spook a deer. However that is just my opion.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

bmorris

Postby bmorris » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:10 am

Answer is yes. Just like anything else it is a tool to reach the end result .I have used them for a number of years.There are multiple ways for setups depending on a number of factors for each hunt.
I have even used multiple setups a standing and bedded deer which has been very effective especially at feeding times.

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features