WW's Question Of The Week #2

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Woods Walker

WW's Question Of The Week #2

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:22 pm

Okay gang, here's another one.......

What's the most unusual or unorthadox way you've ever hunted deer? (NOTE****** IT MUST BE LEGAL *******)

I'll begin. I did hunt deer once float hunting in a canoe down a small backwater stream. We saw a few but had no shots. We were teenagers at the time and didn't really know what we were doing, but we sure had fun.

The other way was not really "hunting", because I had no weapon, but when I got access to hunt this 500 acre place, I took my horse out there to "speed scout" it. You'd be surprised at how well trails show up when your eyes are 8' to 10' above the ground. This place also had a lot of CRP ground at the time, and I was able to ride up with 20 yards of bedded deer numerous times. When they did get up they really didn't bolt out of there had I been on foot. They just looked at us and then ambled off.

I must confess that I DID toy with the idea of training my horse so's I could shoot a bow off him!!! [:D]

How about you all?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Gulfcapt

RE: WW's Question Of The Week #2

Postby Gulfcapt » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:44 am

Ive hunted out of Kayaks during high water periods. Im able to move along stealthy, But before the kayak I use to slip along the banks about waste deep in water every ounce in awhile you would step off into a hole and get neck deep in it lol Hunted off threewheelers (bigred) when Honda first come out with those and it was legal. Let me see hmmmmmm. Hunted off Swampbuggies for hogs. the new thing in south florida and im sure swamplife will correct me if im wrong is spearchucking! they drive along till they see a hog then throw a spear at it lolol now THATS primitive weapons

eagle1953

Postby eagle1953 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:47 pm

I use to hunt around the Stuttgart, Arkansas area. The farmes would flood the woods for duck hunting and Iwould put on waders and walk through the knee deep water where you would make no noise if you were careful and catch the deer on the high ground bedding down. Before and after duck season of course. Pretty cool being able to sneak right up on them.
I don`t kill innocet animals, just the ones that look guilty.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:08 pm

I hunt for deer...

in Florida.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

mnslayer

Postby mnslayer » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:48 am

In a tree stand with a house cat as a deer call and decoy. ??????

I had arrived at my friends place late and we had to rush to get to the stands before day break. my friends cat was following us into the woods and would not go home, I commented that i was glad the cat was going with him. little did i know that 5 minutes in the stand iwould be joined by a cat. not only a cat but a noisey cat, meowing and purring, being a general pest.i could hear something in the brush moving my way.for an hour i struggled to keep this cat quiet short of killing it, when 4 does walk out in front of me at 75 yards and start walking straight to me. at 15 yards the cat spooks and takes off running. i'm expecting these deer to run at this point but no 1 of the does walks within 20 feet of my tree looks up and blows her nose turns around and kicks dirt at me while walking away. who knew cats were a deer attractent. never did shoot them but what a laugh.

rwr

Postby rwr » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:20 pm

In the south hunting deer with dogs is a way of life. You park your truck where you think the dogs will chase the deer out. And you stsand in the back of your parked truck. Your a little off the ground and hope the deer doesnkt do a zig zag across the open/road.
Richard ramey

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:39 am

Our lease in Perry County Alabama has a portion of an old public road through it. The county closed this road many years ago due to a bridge being out, and they didn't want to spend money re-building a bridge on a road to nowhere. Anyway, just off this dead road is an old abandoned country church. Before the last couple of hurricanes collapsed the roof totally, some of us used to sit inside the church on a stool and shoot our bows out the window at the deer. There was a trail right next to the south wall and you could literally reach out and touch a deer as it passed. Not much advance warning as to whether one was coming or not as everything was quite overgrown. The church is now a pile of old lumber full of rattlesnakes, so we don't hunt it anymore.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:07 pm

that is a cool story. ^^
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

dewey

Postby dewey » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:15 pm

I have sat in the front porch of an old house where I go deer hunting. It is a great place to post a guy and 2 years ago I had a big 8 pointer come out that I should have shot and not let walk.[:@]

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

BamaHunter

Postby BamaHunter » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:32 pm

In the 1991-92 season I hunted from a parked D9 bulldozer in Troup County GA.  Took my first "big" buck on that property!

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features